• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Legal Copy of Windows

607 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

RDX1    0

I pirated Slackware Linux off a P2P network, does that count? :ninja:

ZC    0
I pirated Slackware Linux off a P2P network, does that count? :ninja:

Nope. If you want to pirate something, at least get something that costs money. :ninja:

ozgeek    157

I pirated Windows XP Pro and then bought the Academic version from Officeworks and got rid of any pirate copies i have had. Now I have a legal copy of Windows but lots of pirated software installed! lol :rofl:

McoreD    20

well, laptops always come with a legal copy of XP so i couldnt say NO this time. :D

werejag    0
The level of participation in software piracy does not change the fact that it interferes with the intellectual rights of others and is illegal. Thievery is an issue closely related to morals, which varies from person to person. So, in some respects, each individual is given their own choice as to pass judgement on actions that abide, challenge or cause influence on their own personal insight. To be honest, I feel it is not your place to deny others of such freedom.

As for this poll, I own an OEM copy of Windows XP which was bundled with one of my computers I purchased a year ago.

get off of your im morally better than thou kick. your not better than him becuase you "purchased a copy of windows". i

each individual is given their own choice as to pass judgement on actions that abide, challenge or cause influence on their own personal insight. To be honest, I feel it is not your place to deny others of such freedom.

if you christian your own releigon says dont pass judgement. if you arent it matters not since you dont have power to do anything.

come and check if i have pirated oses

Borbus    1

A friend gave it to me and as far as I am concerned he bought it legally and just felt like being generous :p

agt    1

Hmm, I got a copy of WinXP Professional because I'm taking Microsoft courses, they give you a cdkey and everything. But I reinstall windows so much I got one of those versions of the internet that don't require activation, so I don't have to ring them up to reactivate every time I change my gfx card and things. Thats not strictly legal, but its just more convenient - I'm still entitled to a copy of XP Pro :huh:

lunamonkey    118

I have a valid licence for my PCs OEM copy, but they don't supply disks. So I formatted and now use "the" 8 in 1 disk with a corp key from the net.

The fact I have a hologram sticker on the back of my PC is legal enough for me.

+John Teacake    454

Bought one from the shop and then got one with my laptop

Martog    70

Other: I've got three XP Pro cd's that I got directly from Microsoft, all full version with activation keys. :) One even has SP1a integrated. :p

russellc    1

i got it from bittorrent. the other computers, though, came with xp :p ...just that i'm 15 and don't really have the money to purchase xp. it doesnt matter to me since i'm so young...i'll start purchasing once i get a steady job, etc :p

kitteny_berk    0
i got it from bittorrent. the other computers, though, came with xp :p ...just that i'm 15 and don't really have the money to purchase xp. it doesnt matter to me since i'm so young...i'll start purchasing once i get a steady job, etc :p

ok, so admitting piracy on a forum. that's a good idea :rolleyes:

oh, and legit volume license for me :D

russellc    1
ok, so admitting piracy on a forum. that's a good idea  :rolleyes:

oh, and legit volume license for me  :D

ok well tell that to the other people on this thread that just admitted it...

kitteny_berk    0
ok well tell that to the other people on this thread that just admitted it...

just becuase they admitted it. that doesn't make it a good idea to join in

russellc    1
just becuase they admitted it. that doesn't make it a good idea to join in

whats wrong with being honest?

MipScript    0

Win 95 Win 98 and Windows Home, each of these I acquired from my old computers that came pre-installed with one of these. I did download Windows Pro (to simply see what the main difference was from Home since I was not gonna pay ?140 to just find I wasted my money) I didn't find anything in it that I would use that Home didn't have so I continued to use Home Edition. :happy::

bryonhowley    11
Hmm, I got a copy of WinXP Professional because I'm taking Microsoft courses, they give you a cdkey and everything. But I reinstall windows so much I got one of those versions of the internet that don't require activation, so I don't have to ring them up to reactivate every time I change my gfx card and things. Thats not strictly legal, but its just more convenient - I'm still entitled to a copy of XP Pro :huh:

But then again changing the Video card will not cause you to have to re-activate Windows XP. Hell I changed my Video card add more ram and Installed a DVD Burner with out haveing to re-activate.

Ghatak    0

good poll :D

kitteny_berk    0
whats wrong with being honest?

option 1) buy windows.

option 2) steal windows, post of messageboard you stole windows, pay fine, have to buy windows

Banzai    0

Once upon a time I would have downloaded a copy of xp but I wouldn?t now, all cuz of this forum oh and yeah cuz im old enough to have a part time job now. My copy came with my laptop but for some reason I still have to activate it after I reinstall windows xp.

erp    0

I wonder how many people like me there are in the world. I bought a Compaq pc with XP preinstalled. 2 months later it crashed and I found out the hard way that the "recovery" disk was complete garbage, and so was the warranty. I used a pirated copy of XP corp cus it was the only way I could get my pc working again short of spending another $200. on a full install disk. I paid for a pc with a working OS and I demand that that is what I will have without any further expense.

The next time I buy a pc, I will make sure it comes with a windows disk. Screw their recovery BS. It definitely won't be a Compaq or HP.

nugg3t    0

got it off irc 2 months before it was out.

Si    11

Picked XP Pro from the shop on release day (Y)

Expensive day that was :pinch:

sanctified    1,220
I wonder how many people like me there are in the world. I bought a Compaq pc with XP preinstalled. 2 months later it crashed and I found out the hard way that the "recovery" disk was complete garbage, and so was the warranty. I used a pirated copy of XP corp cus it was the only way I could get my pc working again short of spending another $200. on a full install disk. I paid for a pc with a working OS and I demand that that is what I will have without any further expense.

The next time I buy a pc, I will make sure it comes with a windows disk. Screw their recovery BS. It definitely won't be a Compaq or HP.

you can "fix" a recovery copy easily, you just unistall the garbage, runs a registry cleaner, defragment the disk and voila!

erp    0

compaq keeps the restore data on a hidden partition, I got a virus that wrecked the partition tables. Plus it only had a 30 day warranty. Cheap.

Edited by erp