• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Legal Copy of Windows

607 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rogue`    0

I bought WinXP Pro when it first came out, and after a year i got really ****ed off with having to activate it everytime i reinstalled, I also got really ****ed off when I had to phone them to get a new code everytime I upgraded my PC. So i ended up downloading a corp version.

nite2kx    0
Stole a legal copy from work. hmmm that didn't make too much sense

LOL that was funny man

erp    0

XP Pro Corporate is what XP Pro should have been in the first place - a good OS without the activation crap.

nite2kx    0

Exactly dude

Phoenix2004    0

I voted other....

Windows 1 - 2 = illegal (they where never made public, but I do have a copy of each. Downloaded them.)

Windows 3.0 = Legal (gift from friend)

Windows 3.1 = Legal (also, gift from friend)

Windows 3.11 = Legal (gift from another friend)

Windows 95 = illegal (someone gave me a copy)

Windows NT = illegal (I downloaded if online, way after XP came out)

Windows 98 = illegal (someone game me a copy)

Windows 98SE = Legal (gift from a friend)

Windows ME = Legal (Came both with my computer & a full free version from a rebate offer)

Windows 2000 = Legal (gift from a friend)

Windows 2000 Server = illegal (I was trying to download Linux, but got this. Imagine my surprise)

Windows 2000 Advanced Server = illegal (also downloaded when trying to get Linux)

Windows XP Home = 50% Legal / 50% illegal

My first paid OS & for what ever reason, the CD key didn't work. I had been alpha & beta testing this for a long time, so when it hit the store, you bet your a**, I paid for a full version copy. I also wanted to see if an easter egg (with my name in it), had made the final version (it didn't).

Anyways, it would install, but it wouldn't activate. I called up Microsoft & told them my CD key, but no matter how much I tried to explain myself, they told me the CD key was no good. I even tried to return my copy, in exchange for another copy, but was told I couldn't.

Anyways, I downloaded a key maker & from there, I was able to activate my copy of windows xp. Lucky for me, the CD key worked on Sp1, Sp1a, but when sp2 come along, I ran into the same problem... Install, but no activate. I called up Microsoft & gave them the key I made on the key maker. They said the key was "good" & they couldn't understand why I couldn't clear through the system, so they gave me a new key, free of charge. ;)

I latter called again, about the key I had legally paid for & it's still listed as no good.

Windows XP Pro Corp = Legal (Given to me, from a friend who works for M$)

Linux = Legal (free downloads)

Mac OS 8 = illegal

Mac OS 9 = illegal

Mac OS X = illegal

I've been one of the few hopeless people, trying to get it to run on a PC. When that day happens, I have ever plan on buying a full version, legal copy.

Veiva    200
I voted other....

Windows 1 - 2 = illegal (they where never made public, but I do have a copy of each. Downloaded them.)

Windows 3.0 = Legal (gift from friend)

Windows 3.1 = Legal (also, gift from friend)

Windows 3.11 = Legal (gift from another friend)

Windows 95 = illegal (someone gave me a copy)

Windows NT = illegal (I downloaded if online, way after XP came out)

Windows 98 = illegal (someone game me a copy)

Windows 98SE = Legal (gift from a friend)

Windows ME = Legal (Came both with my computer & a full free version from a rebate offer)

Windows 2000 = Legal (gift from a friend)

Windows 2000 Server = illegal (I was trying to download Linux, but got this. Imagine my surprise)

Windows 2000 Advanced Server = illegal (also downloaded when trying to get Linux)

Windows XP Home = 50% Legal / 50% illegal

My first paid OS & for what ever reason, the CD key didn't work. I had been alpha & beta testing this for a long time, so when it hit the store, you bet your a**, I paid for a full version copy. I also wanted to see if an easter egg (with my name in it), had made the final version (it didn't).

Anyways, it would install, but it wouldn't activate. I called up Microsoft & told them my CD key, but no matter how much I tried to explain myself, they told me the CD key was no good. I even tried to return my copy, in exchange for another copy, but was told I couldn't.

Anyways, I downloaded a key maker & from there, I was able to activate my copy of windows xp. Lucky for me, the CD key worked on Sp1, Sp1a, but when sp2 come along, I ran into the same problem... Install, but no activate. I called up Microsoft & gave them the key I made on the key maker. They said the key was "good" & they couldn't understand why I couldn't clear through the system, so they gave me a new key, free of charge. ;)

I latter called again, about the key I had legally paid for & it's still listed as no good.

Windows XP Pro Corp = Legal (Given to me, from a friend who works for M$)

Linux = Legal (free downloads)

Mac OS 8 = illegal

Mac OS 9 = illegal

Mac OS X = illegal

I've been one of the few hopeless people, trying to get it to run on a PC. When that day happens, I have ever plan on buying a full version, legal copy.

Eeeeeek! I have no illegal software. I know it costs so much, but when you get it, it is worth the money. Oh, and it is MS. Whenever somebody says 'MS' with a United States Dollar sign....

islanq    0

Windows XP hustla...

oldmate15    10

Came with the computer.

insanekiwi    0

got a cd via my dads company.

frankchn    0

came with my dell laptop

cdcase    0

3.1 - bought it retail

95 - copied a friend's floppies

98 - bought it retail

98SE - stole it from work

ME - copied a friend's CD (what a crap version of OS that was!)

XP pro - copied a friend's CD (MCSE)

No, I don't feel guilty. MS has TENS OF BILLIONS in cash and yet still they charge an arm, a leg, and half a gonad for their software. I have a few THOUSAND. They won't miss my money. Besides, I work developing computers for a major corporation and support the Wintel monopoly in that fashion. That's my contribution to their success. In return, I think a free OS is a reasonable kickback.

If XP Pro without WPA was $100 out the door I would buy it happily. I buy SuSe Pro yearly @ $79, and I am praying for the day that their hardware support and gaming titles rival Windows. When it does - goodbye Microsoft!

Nathanael    0

Where does a MSDN Universal subscription go?

MrRogers    0
no, get linux and screw microsoft. 

I would, but I still want to be able to do useful things with my computer.

I totally agree.

pb186    0

bought an oem copy of 2000 but installed it on the 5 machines in my house. The software is legal, just not how I'm using it ;).

cal2002    0

Yes - 10 licenses via MSDN for XP Pro

Yes - 10 license via MSDN for XP Home

Yes - 10 licenses via MSDN for XP MCE

Yes - 10 licenses via MSDN for XP Tablet

Yes - Purchase one OEM copy at local PC store

Yes - Was given retail copy of XP Pro

Yes - Purchase XP Home upgrade

Yes - 10 licenses via MSDN for Win2K

Yes - 10 licenses via MSDN for 98

Yes - 10 licenses via MSDN for Server Wk3 (Standard, web, Ent - 10 for each iirc)

Yes - 10 licenses via MSDN for WinNT (Workstation, server, ent Server - 10 for each iirc)

Ya, also 10 for ME (but who cares?)

jkinzer    0

Other: Got XP Pro from my school's Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance.

Dogmeat of Purgatory    0

Got XP Home OEM when I built my computer :D