Do you have a Mac and PC?

Both.

I use my PC every now and then, mostly to play GTA3 and Battlefield 1942. (Battlefield 1942 for Mac will be shipping on June 2nd! :woot: )

I use my PowerBook for pretty much everything else. Like web browsing, checking emails, web designing and programming, SQL Databases, and gaming. (UT2004, WarCraft III, Halo and Call of Duty).

I too must have every single gadget I can get my hands on. I also have an iPod mini (which I rarely use, because I forget I own one, but when I use it it's a pleasure to use), and an iPAQ 2215 which I haven't used in over a month. It's somewhere in my room, that's a fact, I just don't know exactly where. :laugh:

Hmm what's your WCIII account name and what gateway do you play on? :shifty:

ya, youre right. IMO, apple's biggest mistake is not competing where the bulk of computer sales are, in the 700 range. when someone goes to a store and looks at the specs of a pc vs and emac, they would go for the pc. i mean, look at bipp's computers. pc has twice the ram, twice the proc speed(so it ends up being equall i guess), a dx8.1 video card with 8 times the memory, a kickass sound card(and surround sound speakers i assume) and double the hdd space. id say that both his ocmputers ended up costing the same amount.

I want to buy an eMac but don't because it would just be too expensive to buy the machine and all the software needed to get the most out of it.

I'm stuck with the PC I guess. Too bad. If Microsoft Office was cross-platform on the same CD, I could use the same suite on both the PC and Mac and not have to spend $400 more dollars.

Since i got an iBook back in January, I have sold my 2 PCs and bought another older iBook and a G4 cube, with probably a 15" Powerbook coming at the end of July :)

I want to buy an eMac but don't because it would just be too expensive to buy the machine and all the software needed to get the most out of it.

I'm stuck with the PC I guess. Too bad. If Microsoft Office was cross-platform on the same CD, I could use the same suite on both the PC and Mac and not have to spend $400 more dollars.

you spent 400 dollars on office??!?!?!?!? :pinch:

costco is selling 3 licenses for 130 dollars.

ya, youre right. IMO, apple's biggest mistake is not competing where the bulk of computer sales are, in the 700 range. when someone goes to a store and looks at the specs of a pc vs and emac, they would go for the pc. i mean, look at bipp's computers. pc has twice the ram, twice the proc speed(so it ends up being equall i guess), a dx8.1 video card with 8 times the memory, a kickass sound card(and surround sound speakers i assume) and double the hdd space. id say that both his ocmputers ended up costing the same amount.

Apple isn't interested in market share / percentage of sales. They are interested in profit.

Why support all that infrastructure to sell 10,000,000 $600 macs at ($30 profit each) when they can make more money selling 1,000,000 $3,000 (at $1500 profit each) macs?

10 million macs per quarter is about 12 times apples current market share: is it really possible that one in four people can/will use a macintosh: even if they were significantly cheaper than an x86 system?

There is a lot more to the computer industry than price: Apple knows this, and that's why they have been making money for years - even when their competitors are bleeding due to an economic down turn.

seriosuly, i mean dosent EVERYONE have an extra two thousand dollars lieing (stupid spelling) around to buy a G5?

i wouldnt touch an imac with a ten foot pole.

I do, but I am not spending it on a computer. I am saving for retirement in 10 years :p

Apple isn't interested in market share / percentage of sales. They are interested in profit.

more market share = free advertising.

also, more users= more software sales.

however, apple knows what they are doing, im just ****ed cause i cant use OSX on a halfway decent computer without shelling out bucket loads of cash.

I dont think Apple will ever push for the low end but i do hope that they can be a bit more competitive in the $1500-$2500 price range by offering some better specs

Back to topic: PC for games and *cough* cheap programs. Mac for the real work and unix learning

yes

and please don't ignore lovely emac! you can get an emac if you can't afford a higher end machine!

remember, "halfway decent computer"

if im going to buy a desktop today, it has to be 64bit and have an AGP slot to be halfway decent

eMac is not bad at all!! Remember we had a thread "$799 for a fast computer"? Oh, btw, Apple rep. use eMac!:p:p

i remember that thread, i got my warning level raised on that.:p:p

more market share = free advertising.

The apple logo is one of the most recognized in the world - beating out the Nike swoosh, the Mcdonalds arches, and and BMW propeller. As far as computers go Apple is already the cool company They don't need any more free advertising - the world already knows Apple exists.

also, more users= more software sales.

Apple doesn't make a whole lot off of it's consumer software and the high end stuff (Logic, DVD Studio Pro, Finalcut Pro HD) have extremely limited markets that Apple is already dominating with 75%+ market share.

Might be nice for the OmniGroup, but most companies 'that matter' (Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, Norton) have products on both platforms so they can get their pound of flesh no matter what platform you go for.

Apple needs to sell more iMacs/Powermacs (or make more money off the same number of sales) in order to become more profitable. Anything else is a bonus for Apple's customers, but Steve is responsible to shareholders - not us.

you spent 400 dollars on office??!?!?!?!? :pinch:

costco is selling 3 licenses for 130 dollars.

That is teacher student edition. I'm not a student or teacher so I don't qualify.

Besides, it does not have Access.

That is teacher student edition. I'm not a student or teacher so I don't qualify.

Besides, it does not have Access.

you dont need to be, you can still buy it, you were a student a one point i assume. my friend(in high school) bought it and it works.

if you want access then i guess that wont work for you anyway...

the world already knows Apple exists.

Anything else is a bonus for Apple's customers, but Steve is responsible to shareholders - not us.

not really, a lot of people i know dont know much about apple, and most think they only make ipods.

true, sadly.

not really, a lot of people i know dont know much about apple, and most think they only make ipods.

true, sadly.

that's funny, because every single one of my friends used an apple IIe in elementary school to play reader rabbit ;). maybe it's a generation gap/location issue?

i own 3 computers. a 166MHz old compaq that i run linux on currently (soon to be freebsd probably), an athlon 2100+ box that never gets turned on anymore, and my 1GHz g4 powerbook that i use every day.

i own the athlon desktop still because it isn't even worth trying to sell it, and sometimes my computer science teachers like to make stupid programs we have to use for assignments that only run in windows (i still usually just boot up virtual pc for this though, heh).

I had to sell my PC to afford my MAC :( I would have loved to have a PC desktop AND my powerbook but oh well...I needed to stop playing so many games anyway :D

I own Macintosh iBook Windows Laptop, Windows Desktop, Windows Pocket PC, iPod, I pretty much buy everything with a GUI these days :rolleyes:

I use my Windows Laptop because I had it for a long time before I got (or even thought about Macs) and so I have allot of software / Games for it which as you all know don't work on Mac unless I Purchase them again for the Mac Platform. (and I aint gonna pay excess of ?2,000 for all the software I got again when I could just keep my Windows Laptop)

I use my Mac as my main system only ever really touch my Windows computer when I want to play UT99 or UT2004 (since I bought them Before I bought my Mac)

Most people have heard of the Apple Mac IMO