Do you have a Mac and PC?

@evn show;

Perhaps I didn't elaborate enough, and I believe I missed your point. You are correct, most people know that Apple exists and can recognize the little Apple logo. However, most of those same people think that Apple sucks. Right or wrong, it has been my experience with many "normal" non-techy people that they think that Apple is crap and you can't do anything with them, or they would rather have a "real computer".

Yup thats true on my side too.

Most of my friends know there is a computer company called Apple but dont know anything else.

And the rest of my more "techie" friends are still stuck in OS 7-8 era and thinks that Macs really suck.( which was pretty true during that time)

Guess it was the damage done by the guy before Jobs

.....and just to stay on topic. :D Yeah.....I have a PC and a Mac.

My PC is a 2.3 P4, 120 gig HD, gig of RAM, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum, Klipsch Pro Media 5:1's and an nVidia ti4600. BTW..... I'm gonna' be installing a new nVidia 6800 as soon as they're available. Oh yeah.....I also have a 24" flat panel monitor. My Gateway is fast, stable and a great gaming rig. I have no complaints.

My iBook is the standard 14" model with no upgrades (hardware). I did install VPC.

Programs that I run on my Mac that I would like to be able to run on my PC: Konfabulator ( I know, I know....it's coming but when?). Quartz extreme ( I know it's not a program but it renders an awesome desktop ;) ). iChat (I don't know if it's any better than any other peer to peer but it looks cooler).

Programs that I run on my PC and would like to be able to run on my Mac: DesktopX, Lotus Organizer and too many games to mention. Oh, and one more thing.....Object Dock. That's right.....I said it. I like Object Dock more than the OS X dock.

That's a cop-out answer
You are obviously a bright guy but I'd go to task with you on that one. The term "better" implies both subjective and objective data in terms of coming to a conclusion. Both OS's have +'s and -'s in terms of objective data and as far as subjective data goes....well, that's in the eyes of the beholder. ;)
Did I state I haven't used both Os's

My bad, Bro.

don't have and not planning to acquire any Apple hardware.. for me, Macs are terrible to work with -- be it with the ancient MacOS or OSX.. my productivity decreses immensely.. not to mention the lack of software options for me to chose from (don't want no iCrap), and the laughable game availability..

why would anyone pay that much for physical appearance (they're very pretty, i'll give you that) is beyond me..

i'll stick to my PC.. it does exactly what i tell it to, i know what goes wrong, when it goes wrong and how to fix it, i have an insane amount of options from OS' to applications to games... after tailoring the software and hardware to my liking, there's simply nothing i can't do, exactly the way I want to do it.. not the way some company forces me to use my computer..

until you build your own computer, you'll never have that feeling it truly belongs to you.. that's the feeling Mac users so ignorantly miss.. but hey, ignorance is bliss, ain't it?

This coming from a guy who has a thread titled "I love you"...

Couldn't have said it better myself, mrelusive978. One question though - how do I disable the CrashReporter dialog or remove the "Tell Apple" feature? :p

defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none

First thing I fix...

don't have and not planning to acquire any Apple hardware.. for me, Macs are terrible to work with -- be it with the ancient MacOS or OSX.. my productivity decreses immensely.. not to mention the lack of software options for me to chose from (don't want no iCrap), and the laughable game availability..

why would anyone pay that much for physical appearance (they're very pretty, i'll give you that) is beyond me..

i'll stick to my PC.. it does exactly what i tell it to, i know what goes wrong, when it goes wrong and how to fix it, i have an insane amount of options from OS' to applications to games... after tailoring the software and hardware to my liking, there's simply nothing i can't do, exactly the way I want to do it.. not the way some company forces me to use my computer..

until you build your own computer, you'll never have that feeling it truly belongs to you.. that's the feeling Mac users so ignorantly miss.. but hey, ignorance is bliss, ain't it?

i've built quite a few desktops in my life and well i don't miss it at all. there was one reason i would build desktops myself instead of buying them: the end product was better than anything i could buy from dell/gateway/etc... with apple well, i find the hardware meets any requirements i have for it and i know that what i'm buying from apple is the best in the apple world at the time.

my productivity decreased for the first day i used os x too. obviously you never give the operating system enough use to become comfortable with it based on your "arguments". so obviously you're never going to be productive with it.

my powerbook does exactly what i tell it to do as well. i know what goes wrong and how to fix it (although i rarely have to fix anything). i have an insane amount of options of OSes (os x, linux, and os x is basically bsd so that too, anything else i want to run in virtual pc) to Applications and enough games to satisfy my needs. apple isn't forcing me to use my computer in a certain way. obviously if i bought the computer i like the way i use os x and i want to use it that way. and well you're forced to use your computer whatever way it was designed too no matter what you actually think.

you can come in here and post biased opinions on anything you want. anyone reading your post who has an ounce of intelligence can see all of its faults regardless of their liking of macs or not. about the only "argument" you bring up that has any sense of validity is the games issue. which i'm sure if you ask any mac user they have addressed with either 1. the lack of desire to play games 2. being content with the games that do come out for os x 3. own a console or pc to play games on.

i've built quite a few desktops in my life and well i don't miss it at all. there was one reason i would build desktops myself instead of buying them: the end product was better than anything i could buy from dell/gateway/etc... with apple well, i find the hardware meets any requirements i have for it and i know that what i'm buying from apple is the best in the apple world at the time.

my productivity decreased for the first day i used os x too. obviously you never give the operating system enough use to become comfortable with it based on your "arguments". so obviously you're never going to be productive with it.

my powerbook does exactly what i tell it to do as well. i know what goes wrong and how to fix it (although i rarely have to fix anything). i have an insane amount of options of OSes (os x, linux, and os x is basically bsd so that too, anything else i want to run in virtual pc) to Applications and enough games to satisfy my needs. apple isn't forcing me to use my computer in a certain way. obviously if i bought the computer i like the way i use os x and i want to use it that way. and well you're forced to use your computer whatever way it was designed too no matter what you actually think.

you can come in here and post biased opinions on anything you want. anyone reading your post who has an ounce of intelligence can see all of its faults regardless of their liking of macs or not. about the only "argument" you bring up that has any sense of validity is the games issue. which i'm sure if you ask any mac user they have addressed with either 1. the lack of desire to play games 2. being content with the games that do come out for os x 3. own a console or pc to play games on.

what are you babbling about?

should i type in IMO in every post i make?

don't assume things.. i actually use Macs every day at my workplace, and have had more than enough experience with them..

my opinion is very well founded, it's not something i've pulled out my ass.. i'm not bringing "arguments", as you claim, those are simply basis of my disliking Apple/Mac.. you have a problem with that? :huh:

never did i say i wanted to discuss this, so i fail to see the point in your post.. what are you, going to switch me over? :rolleyes:

you like Macs? fine. i don't. see the difference? yay.

This coming from a guy who has a thread titled "I love you"...

right.. this one?

great post. (N)

I have a PC, and always had a PC for the last 10 years or so. I have been updating my PC every 2 years or so as to keep up wit the industry. I also have a toshiba satellite notebook, an alright computer for web surfing and text editing. Last year I bought a 12 in. powerbook, and well the Mac bug hit me, hard. Then the ipod came, soon after that I saw myself using the powerbook more than 2.53 p4 wit a gig of ram yada yada yada, the powerbook had 867 Mz. yet i preferred the powerbook. I been using mac ever since, and prefer it 10 times over whatever the PC world has to offer.

Well my main computer (powerbook) was lost by DHL when it was sent to repair to Apple. Back to the PC and well there was something missing, seriously. I found myself moving my mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen, waiting for Expos? to kick in. My time wasting GarageBand application was no longer there, my masterpieces (at least to me) couldnt be made. I had to resort to Firefox to make up for the lack of Safari, well at least there was itunes for PC lol. After i got my powerbook back from Apple, a newer version (1.33 Ghz 64 Mb video card 768 ram) well it was good to be back to my old friend.

Two days ago, i placed an order for a Dual 2.0 G5, to finally put to rest my main PC. Its been fun Windows, but seriously the mac experience as a whole blows whatever Microsoft Windows, and even Linux have to offer to then end user. I will still use Windows at work where i manage windows networks, domains from time to time, build computers, etc. After all is said and done, i wouldnt trade my macs for anything, they are great products and I believe the whole experience that comes with owning a Mac, cant be compare to windows.

I don't know about you all, but I would MUCH rather spend 3k on a computer and get the highest quality components I can afford to put into it, than spend $400-700 on the cheapest parts I can find to build the fastest clock/vidcard/memory I can...and the reason is this...

MEAN TIME BEFORE FAILURE

When I buy a computer, not only do I want it to run as fast as possible, I want it to run as WELL as it possibly can. Why do I buy a Macintosh? Well, besides the usual reasons (style, user experience, the Mac OS), I mostly buy Macs because they just WORK. I never reboot my machine unless an installation requires it. Never.

Hmmmm, I would much rather spend $1000 now on the almost best components and spend the other $2000 upgrading over the next few years. If a part fails, it's likely time to upgrade it anyways... either that, or it's under warranty. If you spent the $3000 (smartly) on a PC, you'd be getting the same quality as from $3000 on a Mac.

If a program crashes, it simply tells me so. Heck, I disabled the CrashReporter dialog alltogether. Programs just gracefully quit themselves if they go down. And then I simply open it again. Perhaps a few lost seconds of work as opposed to losing a few minutes because you had to restart. Not having to be forced into said restart because an app has locked up your entire system. No driver or extension conflicts save me a ton of time troubleshooting my system so I can actually DO things with my computer, not WORK ON it.

This, as I think others have said, has to do with the vast number of programs and hardware/drivers available for a PC as opposed to a Mac. Software crashes also have nothing to do with your choice of computer platform. They have to do with your hardware choices (and there are plenty of quality, inexpensive ones for PC) and software choices. If you install Windows 98 and a few bad programs, of course it's going to crash all the time. If you install Linux though, I doubt it would ever crash, unless you chose to install a crap piece of hardware.

For instance, you CAN get a $200 pair of 500w 12" subwoofers, but they sound like crap when you turn them up. You could also, however, pay $600 for a pair of 250w Subs, and, even though you would think they are inferior due to their wattage rating, they are actually going to sound magnitudes better because they are manufactured to a higher standard. They will perform better and work longer than the cheap speakers because of that.

That's a really comparison to make. I could spend $600 on speakers that are worse than a set of $200 speakers. I could also spend $3k on a crap Gateway or spend $1500 on something I build myself and be a lot happier.

EDIT: And in an effort to stay on-topic, I have a 1.4 Athlon with 768 MB RAM and a Dell 650/512 laptop. I used G4's at school in the mac lab and I used Pear PC a little on my desktop with 10.3.4. I'm getting a G3 off ebay and I'm really excited about getting to own my first Mac :cool:

Edited by mgleason007

I have both (2 Macs, and 2 PC's), and here is my story...

I have had/used Macs now for approximately the last 9+ years. I went to Parsons School Of Design in NYC, graduated in 96, used my first Mac in 93-94 though sophomore year, and this was way back when Mac's were truly the computer of choice for Graphic Design (and still more or less are), hence I used them in School. Although at the time I did not use them much at all because my major was Illustration, so the emphasis was still on doing art the good old fashioned way, by hand... So when it was time to buy my own computer 6 months after I graduated, I just bought a Mac because it was the computer to get for what I did, and it was what I knew.

Flash Forward to 1997-98. My first real world job doing web design. Although the majority of the business was Mac based (all of the designers) the salesmen and higher ups were all Windows based, so it was my forst Cross Platform experience. Because we would do alot of presentations and the like for the salesmen, I quickly had to learn, and get used to, the Windows OS. No problemo. Really though my Windows experience was still very little, I basically knew how to navigate through the system and use the Network. However I still was only Mac at home for my personal use.

About 2 years ago I was offered a position as Director Of Multimedia Services for a very straight forward, corporate, Knowledge Consulting Group. They were strictly Windows Based, although I was able to convince them my department (which wound up being just me with the occasionally outsourced freelancer) should be all Mac's still. I mainly worked from home in this position, so because of everyone else in my company, and absolutely every client we did work for, was Windows based, I was encouraged to get a Windows machine for my own home use. This was also right around the time me and my girlfriend moved in together, and she was also just Windows based. So, I went out to BestBuy, and bought myself a Sony Vaio, because at the time I did not know much at all.

I did however know about the potential of gaming on the PC, since my friends from high School were always playing games on their PC's. Up until that point though I was mainly a console man myself, with the occasional game on my Mac I would play. So the same day I bought my Vaio, the salesmen asked me if I was a gamer. I said yes, so he threw in a copy of a game that had recently just come out called Soldier Of Fortune II: Double Helix. I got home, hooked up the Vaio, installed the game, and that was all she wrote... I got into PC based gaming real quick in a hurry. I quickly realized the default Video Card with the Vaio was not cutting it, so without knowing anything at all about good Video Cards or not, I went back to BestBuy and bought myself and Radeon 9700 Pro and installed it (and also paid way to much since it was from BestBuy LOL). I basically wore down the keyboard and mouse that came with the Vaio I was so hooked.

So about 9 months later, thanks to the help of my friend, I started thinking about building my own comp, and was also introduced to a little site called Neowin. Although I did not join for about 2-3 months, I was visiting it daily and slowly learning about building a PC on your own, also with good old fashioned research on the topic on the web.

Flash forward to today. I actually now feel much more comfortable with the innards of a PC and troubleshooting one than I am with my Mac. that is simply because really the only upgrades I have ever done on my Macs was installing more ram, and I have not had to do much more troubleshooting simply because, well the Mac OS on a whole is just much more intuitive (not constantly worrying about drivers, etc.). Since I have built my own 1st PC, I have built at least 6 or so for others since then, and done pretty much every upgrade one could to their own computer. The funny thing is although I am still known as the "Mac User" amongst my friends, I am also the 1st person they call about PC's when they need help, even though I am the one who started using them last, I am by far the nerdiest, fastest user I guess, and most into computers on a whole out of all of them though.

I still use my Mac for about 90% of "normal" computing needs, i.e. my Design, which makes me my money, my web surfing, checking email, keeping track of personal things such as financial stuff, etc., and organizing my music collection (got a first gen iPod as soon as they came out which is still kicking.) The whole web and email thing is more or less out of the fact on my Mac I dont have to worry about viruses, spyware, etc. I have never even set up an Outlook Account on my PC actually, although of course I do surf the web and download things on my PC. In fact I would say 95% of my posts on neowin are done on my Mac, although 95% of my posts topics are PC related ;) Go Figure.

My PC though is my "gaming mega machine," or at least thats what I refer to it as. In fact if I did not have my PC, and all of my upgrades I have done to it, I would have already had a high end G5 by now without a doubt. However I have come to rely on both OS's for different needs. I more or less have not touched a console since I have gotten my PC for gaming, with the exception of Tony Hawk and a few sports games here and there. I feel just as comfortable on either OS these days, and although I still do feel that OS X is slightly more intuitive, i do realize each OS has their positives and negatives, although there are many occasions i tend to forget this and feel that XP is really made by the devil himself just to frustrate me.

I will always be a cross platform user, because simply put, I could never see it any-other way than that. I feel if I chose on OS over the other, and never used one of the 2 OS's again, I would be missing out on something and not treating myself to a true computing experience.

Edited by DirtyLarry

yea, i use both platforms. Have an iBook G4 and a Windows based desktop. Completely love both, use them both equally for the same thing (graphic design and web design).

I have both (2 Macs, and 2 PC's), and here is my story...

I have had/used Macs now for approximately the last 9+ years. I went to Parsons School Of Design in NYC, graduated in 96, used my first Mac in 93-94 though sophomore year, and this was way back when Mac's were truly the computer of choice for Graphic Design (and still more or less are), hence I used them in School. Although at the time I did not use them much at all because my major was Illustration, so the emphasis was still on doing art the good old fashioned way, by hand... So when it was time to buy my own computer 6 months after I graduated, I just bought a Mac because it was the computer to get for what I did, and it was what I knew.

Flash Forward to 1997-98. My first real world job doing web design. Although the majority of the business was Mac based (all of the designers) the salesmen and higher ups were all Windows based, so it was my forst Cross Platform experience. Because we would do alot of presentations and the like for the salesmen, I quickly had to learn, and get used to, the Windows OS. No problemo. Really though my Windows experience was still very little, I basically knew how to navigate through the system and use the Network. However I still was only Mac at home for my personal use.

About 2 years ago I was offered a position as Director Of Multimedia Services for a very straight forward, corporate, Knowledge Consulting Group. They were strictly Windows Based, although I was able to convince them my department (which wound up being just me with the occasionally outsourced freelancer) should be all Mac's still. I mainly worked from home in this position, so because of everyone else in my company, and absolutely every client we did work for, was Windows based, I was encouraged to get a Windows machine for my own home use. This was also right around the time me and my girlfriend moved in together, and she was also just Windows based. So, I went out to BestBuy, and bought myself a Sony Vaio, because at the time I did not know much at all.

I did however know about the potential of gaming on the PC, since my friends from high School were always playing games on their PC's. Up until that point though I was mainly a console man myself, with the occasional game on my Mac I would play. So the same day I bought my Vaio, the salesmen asked me if I was a gamer. I said yes, so he threw in a copy of a game that had recently just come out called Soldier Of Fortune II: Double Helix. I got home, hooked up the Vaio, installed the game, and that was all she wrote... I got into PC based gaming real quick in a hurry. I quickly realized the default Video Card with the Vaio was not cutting it, so without knowing anything at all about good Video Cards or not, I went back to BestBuy and bought myself and Radeon 9700 Pro and installed it (and also paid way to much since it was from BestBuy LOL). I basically wore down the keyboard and mouse that came with the Vaio I was so hooked.

So about 9 months later, thanks to the help of my friend, I started thinking about building my own comp, and was also introduced to a little site called Neowin. Although I did not join for about 2-3 months, I was visiting it daily and slowly learning about building a PC on your own, also with good old fashioned research on the topic on the web.

Flash forward to today. I actually now feel much more comfortable with the innards of a PC and troubleshooting one than I am with my Mac. that is simply because really the only upgrades I have ever done on my Macs was installing more ram, and I have not had to do much more troubleshooting simply because, well the Mac OS on a whole is just much more intuitive (not constantly worrying about drivers, etc.). Since I have built my own 1st PC, I have built at least 6 or so for others since then, and done pretty much every upgrade one could to their own computer. The funny thing is although I am still known as the "Mac User" amongst my friends, I am also the 1st person they call about PC's when they need help, even though I am the one who started using them last, I am by far the nerdiest, fastest user I guess, and most into computers on a whole out of all of them though.

I still use my Mac for about 90% of "normal" computing needs, i.e. my Design, which makes me my money, my web surfing, checking email, keeping track of personal things such as financial stuff, etc., and organizing my music collection (got a first gen iPod as soon as they came out which is still kicking.) The whole web and email thing is more or less out of the fact on my Mac I dont have to worry about viruses, spyware, etc. I have never even set up an Outlook Account on my PC actually, although of course I do surf the web and download things on my PC. In fact I would say 95% of my posts on neowin are done on my Mac, although 95% of my posts topics are PC related ;) Go Figure.

My PC though is my "gaming mega machine," or at least thats what I refer to it as. In fact if I did not have my PC, and all of my upgrades I have done to it, I would have already had a high end G5 by now without a doubt. However I have come to rely on both OS's for different needs. I more or less have not touched a console since I have gotten my PC for gaming, with the exception of Tony Hawk and a few sports games here and there. I feel just as comfortable on either OS these days, and although I still do feel that OS X is slightly more intuitive, i do realize each OS has their positives and negatives, although there are many occasions i tend to forget this and feel that XP is really made by the devil himself just to frustrate me.

I will always be a cross platform user, because simply put, I could never see it any-other way than that. I feel if I chose on OS over the other, and never used one of the 2 OS's again, I would be missing out on something and not treating myself to a true computing experience.

good story I read the whole thing :D.

what are you babbling about?

should i type in IMO in every post i make?

don't assume things.. i actually use Macs every day at my workplace, and have had more than enough experience with them..

my opinion is very well founded, it's not something i've pulled out my ass.. i'm not bringing "arguments", as you claim, those are simply basis of my disliking Apple/Mac.. you have a problem with that? :huh:

never did i say i wanted to discuss this, so i fail to see the point in your post.. what are you, going to switch me over? :rolleyes:

you like Macs? fine. i don't. see the difference? yay.

1. i stand corrected on your experience with macs. however you are missing out on a lot of things if you think there is a small selection of operating systems and applications available to mac users.

2. you post something in a forum it is going to be discussed. never did i say that i wanted to discuss any of the things that were in my post either, however it is implied since this is a "forum" after all.

3. what was the point of YOUR post? you going to switch US over? this is the apple section of the forums isn't it?

4. you can't expect to have no one respond to a post in which you claim every mac user "ignorantly miss"es the feeling of building a computer when it is quite obvious they do not.

5. i find nothing wrong in you not liking macs, but i find something extremely wrong about trying to place a negative stereotype on a group of people you know almost nothing about. i also find it quite disheartening that one would post "facts" that are almost completely untrue in what can only be seen as attempts to get people to dislike something that you do.

I own an iBook (see sig) and a P3 867MHz Coppermine, 128MB SDRAM, 40GB Storage running Slackware-current (2.6.7) it is my server.

It has to be said if i could get X working on the server i would use that over my iBook, i like linux more. Dont really now why tho so i couldnt give you a strict answer.

hopefully i will know later this afternoon if im going to be able to afford my new PC (have an interview for a loan at the bank):

JNC 8676 Black + Silver Front (Window)

AMD AthlonXP 3000 - 333 FSB

512MB DDR - PC3200

2 x 80GB - 10000RPM - SATA (RAID 0)

DVD-ROM & CD-RW Combo drive - Black

Onboard Graphics

Onboard 6 Channel Audio

No Modem

Onboard 10/100 NIC

17" CRT With 3 Year Warranty - Beige

Dual BLUE Cold Cathode Tube

Appropriate Mainboard (USB/2, IDE, COM, PRT)

which will run slackware-current also and take over from my P3

yeah i want a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI, but the loan im asking for is around ?4000-?5000 because i need to pay off an existing ?2000 loan, buy a car and pay off a years insurance too... so i dont want to push my lu:p :p

well we have lost the use of a car, but we need one because im going to be a father come 8th of august and with all the apointments etc we have to keep a car is essential. Plus for an extra ?450 for that system above, i will sell all my current systems (minus the iBook) get the loan refinanced again. In theory we will be better off.

It has to be said if i could get X working on the server i would use that over my iBook, i like linux more. Dont really now why tho so i couldnt give you a strict answer.

Why dont you install Linux on your iBook? :rolleyes:

The look and feel of the iBook, combined with your favorite OS.