Argh! Can anyone help me setup IIS on XP?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to setup ISS on Windows XP, but my (very) limited knowledge isn't enough to get it working. I've installed IIS and thought I'd set up a user account (in the "Users" section) and given it the appropriate access level in "Computer Management", but when I try logging into my site I get a "You are not authorized to view this page" error. Can anyone help me to get this thing up and running?

Also, is there a default page I'm supposed to be navigating to (to get access to my files), or can I just type my IP address into Internet Explorer and gain access that way? If I ever manage to successfully log in, I'm unsure of where to go from there to be able to view my files on the web....

THANKS for any help! :)

Mj.

you want to use IIS to access files on your hd?

extremely bad idea.

you need to create special iis web guest user and add it to web group. i don't remember specific names right now, but it all should be created automaticaly duing install of iis.

"help and support" option from start menu, it has some info how to setup iis

Hi MxxCon,

How come IIS is a bad option? Is it a vunerable method? (Would you recommend another method/program to do this instead?)

I setup a user account manually (and set it as a memeber of the correct "Group" policies) and I also noticed that IIS installed a user called IUSR_ComputerName as well. I've tried to gain access through the net with both accounts, but I get 3 login attempts and then it says that I'm not authorized to view the page....

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mj.

absolutely. IIS is a big gaping hole on your puter.

if you want to have remote access to your files, use ftp server or some remote access software. defenatly not iis.

if you want to have http and don't need fancy features that iis give you can use many other servers that are alot easier to administer