[fx] XBL Binding Error

Ok guys, installed Firefox 0.9. It was working fine until I installed some themes... I got a "Error launching browser window: No XBL binding for browser." message. I am in Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode right now. I uninstalled it/reinstalled it three times. I also did something that Mozilla told me to do (rename the chrome folder) and it still doesn't work, I still get that freakin' message!

Anyone know a cure?

just for future reference. Whenever you do have to delete a profile, you can back up these files and paste them into your new one:

bookmarks.html

cookies.txt

cookperm.txt

formhistory.dat

history.dat

prefs.js

signons.txt

user.js (if you have one)

Here's what I did:

Renamed the Phoenix Chrome file to CHROME-BACKUP.

Renamed the Firefox Chrome file to CHROME-BACKUP.

Deleted profiles in Firefox and Phoenix.

Completely un-installed Firefox, including Program Files Folder

Reinstalled, and it's good as new.

For what it is worth, I regularly back up all of my Firefox profile using XXCOPY in a small batch file.

(www.xxcopy.com)

The batch file looks a little like this,

xxcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles" "G:\Backups\Firefox\Profiles" /BACKUP/V/I

xxcopy "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" "G:\Backups\Firefox\PF" /BACKUP/V/I/XCache\

I don't copy the cache so I use the switch, "/X"

Backing up the profiles allows me to play with extensions and settings, knowing that I can "revert" if Firefox has a problem starting or if there is some other conflict.

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded Firefox yesterday, and it worked great. Today, I got the XBL error - have uninstalled and reinstalled twice and still get it. Please help me out here, but please keep it simple since this is new to me. :blink:

Thanks!!

1) If you are using today's nightly build, don't. It's broken, as far as I know.

2) Delete you profile before re-installing.

moved to gecko support and retitled as per guidelines

I'm not sure what a nightly build is (sorry), but I haven't changed anything since yesterday's download here at work. :no:

I also deleted profile in the mozilla directory if that's what you mean before I re-installed.

Please go to Help, About and copy the build information at the bottom. This will help me determine what you have, exactly. I'm going to guess you have the official 0.9.2 build, but I want to be sure.

Ok, you are using the official build. Go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\"windows logon name"\Application Data

Once there, delete the folder named "mozilla". Then re-install Fx.

OK, I didn't find a folder under application data, only under documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs and under program files. I deleted both and re-installed - still doesn't work!!

There has to be a folder in application data. That's where your profile is stored. It is corrupt and needs to be removed so FX can recreate it.

Well, it's there now - should I try what you suggested again? (Sorry to be so much trouble)!!

I did it and it worked!!! I don't get why all the uninstalls I did didn't fix that though.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Edited by Sazie

No problem. The uninstalls tend to leave the profiles there, so a new re-install just uses the old, left over profile.

Well, no wonder! I always mistakenly thought uninstall got rid of everything except maybe a few empty file folders. I love getting fast help that actually works!! :D

Well, no wonder! I always mistakenly thought uninstall got rid of everything except maybe a few empty file folders. I love getting fast help that actually works!! :D

The idea with Firefox is that when you uninstall you leave your profile folder incase you want to use a different version of Mozilla. Personally I think there should be a checkbox at uninstall time to delete the profile ;).