• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mozilla 0.99 Forget It.

Question

jedimasterk    2

This browser is worse than Netscape 6.0 was. Try minimizing your browser window using the classic theme. It pops right back up from the task bar. This bug was already known about with build 0.98. I guess they still can't fix it yet. It also makes your default mail Mozilla Mail just by clicking the Mozilla icon. You always have to reset it. I'll stick with IE and Opera 6.0!. The launch date for Mozilla 1.0 should be postponed to December 2002. Their are still way to many bugs. All this time to develop a browser, and the simplest thing like minimizing you browser window to the taskbar doesn't even work!. Mozilla is really great. Yeh Right!. But hey it's open source.:p

aleni    0

it sucks, i prefer IE6 or netscape 6.2.1

Hatter    0

Funny, I'm having none of those problems in my Linux version of Mozilla :ermm:

Oh wait, it's open source :roll:

LOC    1,170

I don't have any of those problems either, and I'm on XP. Not open source btw. :p

Tim Dorr    0

uh...you guys do know NS 6.0 is based on Moz. Moz is just the open source version that is built by the public and then packaged for NS employees to create NS's crappiness (I don't frickin' need AIM intergration!

So, basically, by downloading Moz 0.9.9 you're getting what NS 6.3 will probably be... I don't see how you can criticize Moz and not NS...

Oh yeah, tabbed browsing, JS debugging, and the DOM inspector rocks IE out of the water. :D

petsounds    0

I have been a proud mozilla user for well over a year now, I download the latest nightly build almost every day. As much as I love the browser though, I have to agree with the statement made earlier about how it has been under development for so long (about five years i believe) and they still can't fix the simplest of bugs. Or they fix them, and then they come back again a few days later. The thing that bugs me the most about mozilla is that it doesn't display the alt text of an image when you hold your mouse over it. bugzilla has that feature slated for version 1.0.1. that is such a basic feature, they should have written that into the code at the very beginning. everything else about the browser is wonderful though, in my opinion it loads pages way faster than ie. even though 0.9.9 is pretty buggy, i am confident that they will get it pretty stable for the major 1.0 release. please don't complain about it before then, they're still working on it, you have to accept that it's going to be buggy.

Wildcard    2

Oh !!! No !!! Not Alt text again. Damnit this has been beaten to death and then some. According to the W3C specifications, ALT is not supposed to do that, ALT is supposed to display when there is no image present, TITLE is the tag that is supposed to be used whendisplaying for a mouse over. Why dont you guys that are complaining of these bugs go fix them? It is open source after all. BTW I dont see that classic theme popping up thing that was mentioned and Im on Windows 2000

Redmak    356

I like alternate browsers. I use mozilla to see if neowin displays ok with it.

Don't use it as my default browser because it's still very slow on my pc. Scrolling up and down the main page on neowin is so very slow (lagging). IE and Opera don't have that problem.

Mr magoo    1

i love mozilla, IE, and opera. However, i violently hate netscape= its a waste of my time. Aleast i feel that ive helped the open source community by using mozilla : with netscape, im adding to ao-hells evil empire.

Hatter    0
Originally posted by Mr magoo

i love mozilla, IE, and opera. However, i violently hate netscape= its a waste of my time. Aleast i feel that ive helped the open source community by using mozilla : with netscape, im adding to ao-hells evil empire.

AOL funds mozilla :ermm:

jedimasterk    2

Mr mangoo, Microsoft detests Opensource. Why because their is no money to be made!. I'm finding myself liking Apples more and more each day, even though I don't own one. Their not fully open source , but at least they give their customers what they want. Microsoft gives customers what Microsoft thinks will make a buck. Mira!. See how Microsoft LIED to the public. You DON'T need IE to run Windows XP. At least Apple customers can trust Apple. They don't out right lie!!, like Microsoft.

Toxikk    0

how can you find that net6.2.1 is better than moz 0.99... moz has had about 2000+ bugs corrected supposedly.

Timan    557

IE FOR LIFE! *windows

OMNI FOR LIFE! *mac

aleni    0
Originally posted by jedimasterk

Mr mangoo, Microsoft detests Opensource. Why because their is no money to be made!. I'm finding myself liking Apples more and more each day, even though I don't own one. Their not fully open source , but at least they give their customers what they want. Microsoft gives customers what Microsoft thinks will make a buck. Mira!. See how Microsoft LIED to the public. You DON'T need IE to run Windows XP. At least Apple customers can trust Apple. They don't out right lie!!, like Microsoft.

then why the hell r u using windows right now? :roll:

Qumahlin    0

I would replace IE with Mozilla in a heartbeat but my gripe is that mozilla doesn't use the extra mouse buttons on my intellimouse explorer.

I love the convenience of the back and forward buttons so I don't have to click back or such, but these just don't work in mozilla! is it just me? or is this a feature left out?

Toxikk    0

it was there before...

can you just set something in the intellipoint properties and make it work? :old:

BroChaos    1
Originally posted by timdorr

Oh yeah, tabbed browsing, JS debugging, and the DOM inspector rocks IE out of the water. :D

tabbed browsing? dang, now i have to go try it. does pc have any tabbed chat programs like adium?

AaronPrometheus    0

I just upgraded to 0.9.9 just now and at first I didn't see any different (Nor did I expect much beyond underlying bug fixes). Then I went to Neowin.net and the page loaded twice as fast as it did under 0.9.8

!!!

I'm also getting a slightly faster startup response from it and the way images are loaded and displayed has changed, images now load a little faster. But that's from my standpoint. I've never heard of the classic-minimize bug, I think I'll try that after I type this.

The only thing I want to see in version 1.0 is the ability to skin the scroll bar. But on the other hand that's not compliant with the WC3 :ermm:. Oh well... not that it detracts from my internet browsing experience.

I to am a little peeved by Mozilla automatically stealing the default E-Mail client. Oddly enough I think that Outlook Express is better that Mailzilla. Although I just might go back to it one of these days. I haven't used the mail client in Netscape/Mozilla since version 4.0!

AaronPrometheus    0
I've never heard of the classic-minimize bug, I think I'll try that after I type this.

Nope. I tried it over and over again and Mozilla never tried to restore the windows automatically. I even left the theme on, closed and reopened the browser, and tried again. No such bug. I'm using version 0.9.9, btw.

The only thing I can think of is that I did a clean install. I deleted the previous build before putting 0.9.9 on my system. Could an overwrite installation be the reason that this bug still exists for some users?

/edit

These builds are BETA releases too :cool:, give the guys at the Mozilla Foundation a bit of a break. Their BETAs are better than gold-code Internet Explorer releases :right:.

Silvorgold    1
Originally posted by BroChaos

tabbed browsing? dang, now i have to go try it. does pc have any tabbed chat programs like adium?

on mozilla theres a chat program that has tabs also, havent seen u on icq lately tho lol...

i personally dont like .9.9 :(, it crashes constantly on me now...

jedimasterk    2

Because I can't justify buying all new hardware just to run an alternate operating system (OSX). I just upgraded my machine to an Athlon 1800. Linux is not even in the cards!. So I'm stuck with Windows XP till Microsoft denies me access to my operating system. They can do that you know!. Ever need to reactivate. They can always for some reason say NO when you need a new code. I've had to re-activate my store bought license 3 times already just so I could upgrade my computer system. And if you ever have to reformat your harddrive, better get the phone. No other operating system has this BS to put up with. Then you wonder why!. God forbid if you had to re-activate Windows XP and you were on your thirtieth day and had no access to a phone. Your SOOL.

Tim Dorr    0
Originally posted by AaronPrometheus

I just upgraded to 0.9.9 just now and at first I didn't see any different (Nor did I expect much beyond underlying bug fixes). Then I went to Neowin.net and the page loaded twice as fast as it did under 0.9.8

!!!

I'm also getting a slightly faster startup response from it and the way images are loaded and displayed has changed, images now load a little faster. But that's from my standpoint. I've never heard of the classic-minimize bug, I think I'll try that after I type this.

The only thing I want to see in version 1.0 is the ability to skin the scroll bar. But on the other hand that's not compliant with the WC3 :ermm:. Oh well... not that it detracts from my internet browsing experience.

I to am a little peeved by Mozilla automatically stealing the default E-Mail client. Oddly enough I think that Outlook Express is better that Mailzilla. Although I just might go back to it one of these days. I haven't used the mail client in Netscape/Mozilla since version 4.0!

Yeah, the mail and speed has been improved. There is a rather extensive bug on bugzilla on scroll speed. It's still the one big problem with Moz :p

aleni    0

ie6 works best, faster start up, showing webpages layout better, no annoying laggy scroll bug, toolbars can be moved wherever u want,.. ;)

Tim Dorr    0

takes up just as much resources as Moz with out the mail program, can't block pop-ups built-in, doesn't have tabbed browsing, interprets code incorrect, doesn't do digest authetication correctly...

aleni    0

lets have a votin' :p

Tim Dorr    0

nah. I'm not in the mood for a browser war right now.

And don't get me started on compliance. I can go on for hours :D