Uploading and Cookies

Question

Ok 2 questions, first

Uploading is broken on my forums. It always says:

The requested file upload failed. This is either because it was not in the correct format, or the file size was larger than that allowed. Please check the file you wish to upload and try again.
or
You cannot upload this type of file

We have upload size limit set to 50mb. How do i fix this?

Second

Cookies aren't working. Config seems ok.

Cookie Domain: .<domain>.us

Cookie Path: forums

Any idea whats wrong?

thanks.

3 answers to this question

For your upload problem... if you are using a file extension not generally recognised by ipb (maybe .png), then you will have to edit conf_mime_types.php. OK, there is going to be lines of code (they will look like the line of code below), add the code under all that code.

"image/x-png" =&gt; array(1, 'pngimg.gif' , 'PNG Image' ),

Ok, I'll try to explain the above.

"image/x-png" is the mime type (I believe).

'pngimg.gif' is the little icon that represents the file.

'PNG Image' is the description of the mime-type.

So, just replace "image/x-png" with the correct mime-type text, 'pngimage.gif with the desired icon, and 'PNG Image' with whatever you want.

Hope this helps.

[EDIT: Please note, the above post is only applicable if you have access to your sites code. If you do not, this post is of no use to you, sadly. Also, I wouldn't set your upload to 50mb, if your forums are public, because some jerk could come along and start uploading huge warez files or whathaveyou.]

1. Is your /forums/uploads folder CHMODDED to 0777? If no you will not be able to upload. If it is you have to add the file type to the allowed list, you can do this via the admin cp or via the way described by stealthy above. The easiest would be to do so via the admin cp:

a) Log in to your admincp (/forums/admin.php)

b) Go to System Settings >> Topic, Posts & Polls >> Valid Image Extensions. Add the extra image extensions.