Windows XP MEGA Problem

Guys,

i have a huge problem here in Windows XP Final (Devils0wn). I am running Litestep with build 2600. If i am exploring in Windows Explorer, sometimes (randomly) clicking on a folder on the left will immediately crash my computer (it freezes up). I am running the DetonatorXP drivers (21.80) however i dont quite think that that is the problem. This freezing only occurs in Windows Explorer randomly. I do not know how to fix this nor where it is coming from. Its really really annoying, and the problem was there fresh after a format/reinstall (before litestep too). someone PLEASSSSEEEE help. this really really sucks.

Thanks

Originally posted by Scar45  

Guys,

i have a huge problem here in Windows XP Final (Devils0wn). I am running Litestep with build 2600. If i am exploring in Windows Explorer, sometimes (randomly) clicking on a folder on the left will immediately crash my computer (it freezes up). I am running the DetonatorXP drivers (21.80) however i dont quite think that that is the problem. This freezing only occurs in Windows Explorer randomly. I do not know how to fix this nor where it is coming from. Its really really annoying, and the problem was there fresh after a format/reinstall (before litestep too). someone PLEASSSSEEEE help. this really really sucks.

Thanks

I have Devils0wn and have had no problems with it and I've been using it for over a month. What is this Litestep..? I've never heard of it, this could be the problem...

I used to use LiteStep in Windows2k but havent tried it in XP, I doubt its your problem though.

Might be an acpi issue or a bus master driver problem. You have the latest bios? Tried messing with the PCI settings in there?

Kibler

I have to say that I have been running XP final for a long time too... and it is the biggest bag of **** to come out of Microsoft since windows 95.... I have many problems... from the SCSI drivers failing to disapearing modems... its a nightmare... and I strongly reconmend that anyone thinking of buying it doesn't... well not until SP1 is out...........I am not an "in-experianced" user either... I am an MCSE+I and have worked on MS products for 5 years... XP is ****.. looks nice buts thats about it... stay clear

omg this board is ****...i just typed sooo much and it for some reason cleared it all out...anyways, im st0n3d up and i dunno what to do...guys keep on posting and hopefully i can get some results...that acpi issue sounded potential too....so u know, i have a PIII-650E oced to 950MHz however it has been running like that solid for 2 years....i KNOW it cant be that...and my GeForce2 MX is not OCed at all.

I haven't run into that problem with winXP, but i did have it in win2k. I narrowed it down to the video drivers. The only ones that worked were the ones from the NVidia site, none of the leaked builds were trustworthy. Sometimes I could go for days with no problems, but sometimes my computer would only be on for 10 minutes and it would freeze. Most of the time it happened while i was looking through folders like you said, but it also tended to happen a lot if i touched anything relating to the video settings.

Powerstip gave me lots of problems, half the time i tried to right click on the taskbar icon to close it my computer would crash and if i opened it almost any change i made would cause a crash too (needless to say, i didn't keep it around long).

I would recommend using the default XP drivers for a while and see if that doesn't help.

Funny when it comes down to it... People tend to assume that a system is a complete bag of s**t and right away wants Service packs... The Darn Operating System ain't actually out to the General Public yet! Can we give it a bit of a break? :cool:

I, Also run the WinXP DevilsOwn and I personnaly haven't found anything but surprising stability from this OS. I am careful not to run Drivers not writen for WinXP (Although, The Win2000 Drivers can also do the trick) and when it comes to software, well.... I have only got problems with Older programs...then again, It is not the OS fault but You have to give the Software Manufacturer time to get the proper updates. :(

As for Software like LiteStep, it is a nice Shell replacement, but if you look at the WindowBlinds by STARDOCK, you will notice that they are doing an entirely new Update for the WinXP. Using their 2.X version of WindowBlinds, also brings problems to the OS, so, Give it some time, Uninstall the LiteStep Feature...Try to restore to a point Prior to the LiteStep Installation and See if it solve your problem. :)

By the way, Since most of us are running DevilsOwn Release... Perhaps we should be happy and simply enjoy it! :cool: :p :cool:

Originally posted by configure  

Daysleeper, Instead of assuming it "****", can you clearify your problem? Maybe other people might have a solution to it.

I agree with Configure, I mean there are no details your to position. You will find that only a handful of people (if that) are disappointed with WinXP, if that's the case - then don't use the bluddey O/S.

Since you said "Since Windows 95 Came Out", then it looks like you've never liked windows from the start - stop complaining, as Pow35 said "It's Not Released To The General Public Yet" and that the software drivers for this O/S aren't finished yet.

Give it a break man.

Originally posted by Daysleeper  

I have to say that I have been running XP final for a long time too... and it is the biggest bag of **** to come out of Microsoft since windows 95.... I have many problems... from the SCSI drivers failing to disapearing modems... its a nightmare... and I strongly reconmend that anyone thinking of buying it doesn't... well not until SP1 is out...........I am not an "in-experianced" user either... I am an MCSE+I and have worked on MS products for 5 years... XP is ****.. looks nice buts thats about it... stay clear

Never criticize an OS before SP1 is released, let alone before it has been released to the public!

If you are so experienced, why didn't you wait until some of the bugs were sorted and SP1 was released before you installed Windows XP?

Overclocked Scar guy ... your ****'s a 650 clocked to 950, with no mentioned extra cooling, it's been working for two years so you KNOW it can't be the heat buildup? Do you not realize **** wears out when you run it at 150% of its intended speed? Jesus. Get one of those Peltier fans and try it, or just un-overclock it and see if that works. You whiners are so ****ing retarded, try and find an OS that runs as much ****, as stable as XP, for so many people ... and for most of us, for FREE... Jackasses.

Originally posted by Daysleeper  

So what! MCSE, you learned to double-click and that's it.

You're problem isn't XP related it's SCSI/Driver related.:cross:

Just because you are having some problems with XP doesn't mean everyone should stay away from it. Most of us haven't had any such problems so how do you justify it? Nothing can work perfectly accross all the variations of systems out there, it simply isn't possible.

Did upgrade to XP over another version of Windows or do a clean install? For me, I've never been able to get a windows upgrade to work right, everything goes to ****, but if I do a clean install, everything is fine. Example, when I upgraded Win2k to XP, I got BSOD's all the time, had to reformat when I got a 'unmountable boot device' at startup and reformat my c: drive, but after a clean install, XP runs great.