DesktopWeather Beta 3

Question

DesktopWeather Beta 3 is available to download from my page Here. 3nd3r was nice enough to host me. The old site address will redirect you to the new site but be sure to update your favorites. DesktopWeather Beta 3 is now based on the Microsoft.Net Framework. You will need to have this installed in order to run DesktopWeather Beta 3. A link is provided on my site. Thats about it, but be sure to note the changes in DesktopWeather Beta 3 below. I hope you all enjoy and be sure to leave a comment or request at my site under the DesktopWeather Beta 3 post and/or here. Thanks.

Some changes:

-To move: Click and drag the Current Weather picture.

-To access menu: Double click or right click Current Weather picture.

-Matrox

Edit: 5 mirrors up for downloading.

everything works and looks great here. only issue i had was with clear type being on. is there any way around this? good work matrox.

And so it begins....:D :D

nekrosoft13:

First off, thanks for posting! The first three line of the error tell me that the Website could not be resolved. My guess is either your DNS server is messing up, you have a firewall blocking DesktopWeather from the internet, or it could be a fluke. I would try it again. If that doesnt work, post with your system software like OS, Firewall, Connection...

System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved.

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

Also, would you mind editing that post to make it a lil shorter.

-Matrox

Originally posted by Matrox

And so it begins....:D :D

nekrosoft13:

First off, thanks for posting! The first three line of the error tell me that the Website could not be resolved. My guess is either your DNS server is messing up, you have a firewall blocking DesktopWeather from the internet, or it could be a fluke. I would try it again. If that doesnt work, post with your system software like OS, Firewall, Connection...

System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved.

Also, would you mind editing that post to make it a lil shorter.

-Matrox

thanks for reply

i have no firewall and i don't think is the dns

beacuse i was using beta 2 today and i got the beta 3 overwrited the files and started the beta 3 and i got that error.

Originally posted by BroChaos

everything works and looks great here. only issue i had was with clear type being on. is there any way around this? good work matrox.

same here. great program. cleartype on does not look good with desktop weather. also, as you know. completely transparent icons would be cool too. other than that, great program!

actually, i just turned my clear type back on, and DW still looks good. so i guess it can work with it, it just needs to be off the first time you run it.;)

First off- This is a great program! I love the way it gives me the weather without the other cr*p that Weatherbug gives.

As a programmer I appreciate the amount of work that you have put into this.

But...(You knew this was coming)

***Caused by clear type being enabled*** The fonts are harder to read in this version. It is as if you are using a light (white) shadow to highlight them.

The only other thing is the run at startup...could you make that setting in the current user portion instead of HKLM?

Thanks for a great program! I am looking forward to you next release!

nekrosoft13 and others who get the error below:

Error:

Solution:

Run DesktopWeather and select "Continue" when you get an error. Right click on the current weather picture and select "Options". Then Uncheck the "Use Web Statistics" box and hit "Ok". Then exit DesktopWeather by right clicking on the current weather picture and select "Exit". Then run DesktopWeather again and it *should* work. I will be fixing this soon. Sorry for this problem.

-Matrox

I can move this version at all........on top of that when i try to move it it locks up and brings my CPU ta 100% usage.....I like 2.3 much much better

not even with the .Net Framwork will it work 2.3 work very nice on it thow.........

.Net Beta's there so kewl:alien: :devious: :old:

nekrosoft13 and others who get the error below:

Error:

Solution:

Run DesktopWeather and select "Continue" when you get an error. Right click on the current weather picture and select "Options". Then Uncheck the "Use Web Statistics" box and hit "Ok". Then exit DesktopWeather by right clicking on the current weather picture and select "Exit". Then run DesktopWeather again and it *should* work. I will be fixing this soon. Sorry for this problem.

-Matrox

i did that

the error is gone, but it won't display the weather now, it sas error

JnCoKiLLa, to move it you drag the current weather picture.

nekrosoft13, your location code please? Did you exit the program and reload it.

-Matrox

my zip code is 60103

and i exited the program few times

and nothing

Coolmon's got the same cleartype problem. He offers a workaround for coolmon here:

http://www.daisyman.arsware.org/coolinfo/bugs.html

under the "Not really bugs, but worth mentioning:" section.

Maybe you could implement a similar "background colour" feature for DW so that users can do the same workaround. Or maybe you could even get the program to find out what colour the picture/background is right behind where DW is positioned, and set the background colour (of DW) equal. I don't know if this is possible, as I know nothing about programming (ok I took some basic Turbo Pascal in grade 11 :lick: )

Other than that, it works great for me. Oh and to enable cleartype without going to a website, go to display properties, Appearence, Effects, and check or uncheck "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:" to enable/disable the dropdown list containing ClearType.

And to other people who can't move Desktop weather, you have to click the specific image that displays the current conditions for today (under your location, and to the left of the current temp.

Hope this helps.