Bill Gates Awarded Vaccine Prize

Bill Gates and his wife, Melinda, have been awarded the International Union of Immunological Societies' prize for supporting the development of vaccines.

The prize committee said the foundation established by the couple has played an important role "in the development and distribution of vaccines against major infectious diseases that threaten mankind."

The award, which was given for the first time, was accepted on behalf of the couple by a senior official from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation during a ceremony at the International Congress of Immunology Sunday.

The prize consists of a small sculpture called "The Antibody" by French-born artist Niki de Saint Phalle.

In June, the foundation donated $100 million to an international health fund to fight AIDS. Gates also has donated $750 million over five years to boost global immunization efforts.

News source: CBS MarketWatch

I can only congratulate Bill Gates with this award. While all the critics will be quick to comment on where he got the money from, I think it's more important to look at where he put it! Spending almost $1,000,000,000 on charity is no mean feat. That's probably more than most countries, capitalist, communist or otherwise have ever spent!

Oh yes, of course he gets his name associated with it, but so far his reward seems to be a small statue.

We, as users, can complain all we want, but this gives food to thought and ought to remind us that at least we're priviledged enough to have problems like "My operating system is too expensive," when others can't even afford a simple vaccination.

This last argument is, granted, one that I dislike others for using, I don't want to feel guilty about having the opportunities that I do, but it should hopefully at least serve as a reminder to the most ardent monopoly critics, that not all the money earned goes straight into Bill Gates' pocket. Some does, but hey, he's only human :)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the matter.

5itus