Modem and startup

If I want to connect to the internet, I should have turned the modem on before turning the PC on. If i don't and simply turn it on while in windows and try to connect, I'll get an error message. This never happened to me in previous Windows versions. What the heck is going on? Why is the modem fully functional only if I turn it of before the PC?

bcm

Originally posted by BlackCoatMan  

If I want to connect to the internet, I should have turned the modem on before turning the PC on. If i don't and simply turn it on while in windows and try to connect, I'll get an error message. This never happened to me in previous Windows versions. What the heck is going on? Why is the modem fully functional only if I turn it of before the PC?

Please state:

• Brand and type of modem (e.g serial, USB)
  • The error that you recieve

If you're happen to be using WindowsXP, then you're having the same problem as I'm experiencing. WindowsXP will look for the modem/ and other attached hardware, when it starts, if you already have your modem connected to your computer but not turn it on, it's status when you view in Control Panel will be "Not Attach". In that case, turn it on, and you can go to Device Manager -> Action -> Scan for hardware change. That'll refresh your hardware list, and prolly fix your problem of modem "not attching". ;)