What You Like And Dislike...

Raum

-News System. Well organized and seems to me to be up-to-date. Makes it easy to catch updates to your favorite programs.

-Fast. The site usually loads pretty quickly for me.

-You can usually get your PC customization questions answered here.

-Easy access to Visual Styles and other things such as icon sets.

Dislike

-Flood Control. God do I hate this thing. It won't let you start typing a post in your browser until 30 seconds past your last post. This feature is horrible on Neowin. On other boards, you can't post until those 30 seconds are up, here you can to wait 30 seconds to begin typing your post, which you would probably be done with after those 30 seconds are up anyways. It's either that or open up notepad just to type messages on a forum.

-Subforum layout. I scroll down the main forum page and it just seems like there are tons of forums that could just be subforums under one main forum, making everything seem less disorganized. Maybe even merge a few forums. The Windows 98 etc forum has under 500 threads right now, why not just make it a subforum or merge it with the WinXP Customization forum, and adopt a thread title system such as:

[XP] Uxtheme.dll Problem

[Win98] How to enable large desktop icons?

Many of the following will be dislikes with the userbase of Neowin rather than the forum itself...

-The amount of people that still think it's cool to have models in the same picture as their computer case. Actually...was this ever cool?

-The people who tell you to use X browser, media player, OS etc. Go to hell, people are allowed to use IE if they want to, and if Windows 95 meets all of a users needs, who are you to demand he pays 200$ for a new OS?

-Look at me! I have X posts! Spam in my book. Post count means nothing, post content means everything.

-'To change Micrsoft styles help me on uxthem.dll patch creates errors OSX look.' Maybe we should create an International or Engrish subforum. I would assume there are PC customization sites for other languages though. I'm all for helping someone, but phrases like that just make me want to kick myself.

-'Omg Vector Art lolz that pwns!' I swear, you could go take a picture of the last dump you took in your bathroom, vectorize it and have half the population of neowin orgasm over it. Basically the same thing with any other style that is 'in' and it gets annoying.

-'Why don't you just buy a mac.' Ummmm, I don't know if I'm the only one who has realized this yet, but just because someone likes how something looks, why does that make everybody automatically assume he's ready to spend tons of cash for that type of system, have to use different programs than what he's used to, not be able to play half his PC games, probably buy a bunch of new hardware accessories, possibly have a tougher time interfacing with his home network and so on.

-'Omg you said something negative! Troll! Flamer! To the fiery pits of Hell for an eternity and a half with you!' I feel this way a lot when I say anything negative about things other than stuff like IE, Realplayer, Windows and anything else that isn't already commonly mocked by the community.

-'Wtf? Why would you want to do that? You'd lose functionality! I could never use a System with that disabled!' Goddamn, do people ever have a problem with letting people customize their computer how they want. If someone wants to disable to menubar in explorer or the systray in the taskbar, people seem to go ape****. To hell with offering these people help, they just get flamed and harassed for wanting to customize their computer how they want to.

I'll probably think of more later. Discuss my list or post your own.

Ben

I really enjoyed that post thanks :D

You said a lot of things that I have been thinking myself

jymi
Look at me! I have X posts! Spam in my book. Post count means nothing, post content means everything.

:no:

roy_eyal

I agree with each every of your, emm, rants :)

Waiting to see how people will reply...

aem4162

how do i love neowin? let me count the ways...oh..well, i can't count that high :yes:

i do love arguing with boog, armeck, adonai, and the rest of that lot ;)

what i dislike: whiners, spammers, immature posters

SabaTime

I like everything about Neowin until it comes to these stupid ass MS users who try and sit there and rip up apple.

adam.sproul

I agree with everything you said above and so will most people on Neowin.

Ficman

:blink:

Right on...

EVO VIII

i agree with everything you posted. one thing i hate about neowin is how some people are such fanboys.

"AMD is better than Intel you idiot" or "get ATI, it's better!"

and can't forget responses to questions like:

"how do i better organize my IE favorites?" ---------------- "get firefox! it's better!"

"what do you guys think of the new msn/aim/whatever?" ----------------- "get trillian you n00b!"

"when is hl2 coming out?" "bah hl2 sucks get doom3"

people always want everyone else to conform to their own preferences. :no:

Raum

I agree, that's a huge problem around here. It's very annoyed. I think we should start reporting posts that we see that do this.

kizzaaa

- Moderation is decent

- Wide Range of Topics

- Reliable source of technology related news

Dislike

- Smartarses

- Members who use the term 'owned'.... like get over it?

- Huge Signatures

Iain

Flood control is annoying, I agree there. Maybe a 10 second limit would be better.

I also dont like milestone threads, but at least there's a separate section for them now.

Chode

I have to admit that I have been involved in one or two ATIvsNVIDIA or OPERAvsFirefox debates during my time here......

But 99.99999% of the users are ok. There are exceptions, but I'm sure that if their attitude goes over the line then they will be taken care of :whistle:

Hum

:rolleyes: LIKE

News, reading others posts, helping when I can, jokes, meeting other people.

Dislikes

Some of the rude people and quick-tempered Mods. The occassional Slow access times.

DoNuTs

Like:

Chode's cooking and Blaise when he's talking dirty :wub:

Dislikes:

Blaise's cooking and when Chode is talking dirty

insanekiwi

likes: friendly users. fast (sometimes even helpful :D) replies.

dislikes: "server too busy messages" and "30 second reply limit board messages"

sanctified

1.- The community in general.

2.- How helpful is the community.

3.- The board feeling.

4.- The fact that this is the best website I've ever been on

Dislikes:

1.- Some members that are OFFENDED if we "dare" to warn them when they deserve it, damn us for having rules :rolleyes:

2.- Some members who thinks this board is a democracy, this is not, you cant flame freely (this is linked to the first point).

3.- Some members who dislikes other members just because their beliefs, it seems that diversity its no longer a good thing around.

Want a better moderation team? help us with dont making us moderate YOU. :yes:

Jerry Grey

Okay, Dislikes:

3 hours later......

Mmmmm... Nope can't think of anything... :p :D

And now likes: the lot thing.... ;)

insanekiwi
,Jun 30 2004, 13:39] Want a better moderation team? help us with dont making us moderate YOU. :yes:

well said. it's up to everyone him-/herself to act according to the rules and respect other people.

sanctified

Btw, this thread has the potential to become a flame fest but it also has the potential to become something that will help us to change some things, so please, dont attack members personally, we will warn or restric flamers.

Just give constructive criticism about staff, that will make us better, remember, this site is not our (the staff) property, is the property of all the members

Hum
,Jun 30 2004, 13:50] Btw, this thread has the potential to become a flame fest but it also has the potential to become something that will help us to change some things, so please, dont attack members personally, we will warn or restrict the flamer

:laugh: Anyone may flame me -- I've learned to laugh at it.

DoNuTs
:laugh: Anyone may flame me -- I've learned to laugh at it.

*Flame flame*

Ha, there !