i'm starting my own distro

nuka_t
well i am just putting together an iso not make any new programs  ;)

i'll chose an installer which is easy to understand i will not leave you at the comand line

neonix is an awesome name. i would love to have a neowin linux distro. that way we can get support from other members and do bugs right in these forums. debian based is the way to go. i think the difficulty level of it should be the same as MEPIS/Knoppix. i love that youre putting firefox in it, i really miss it in all the linux distros. the firefox in the installer though should have hte following extensions, and a theme that matches the default icon set of hte os(cause were gonna use kde, right?). Extensions:Adblock, single window, cute menus, mouse gestures. and the ussuall java plugins and stuff already installed for us. THATS cool.

Edit: and make it KDE only. kde is the most supported WM and hte most noob friendly. i assume you will include synaptic with it so people can just point and click their way to gnome, fluxbox and whatever. its much easier to get the iso to people over bittorent if there is only one iso.

BartAfterDark

Something I have been thinking about. Was to add game servers. Into the install. So you can sellect what gaming server you want to run. If you need any help let me know. I have installed hl/cs on linux before. But it was a long time ago.

What do you think about the idea?

- lars

nuka_t

^ i htink its bloat and very few people will use it.

SAMeAiM

Nice

A desktop version.

A gamer version

A server version

A game server version

hmm?, you could make som diffrent versions :)

And yeah, if you need beta testers. You just have to say :)

I like the name :)

Ae3

yea, if you need some feedback on the project ill be happy to beta test aswell....

good luck with it.... :)

nuka_t

what it REALLY needs is ATI drivers built-in that work right out of the box. that will set it apart from any other free distro out there

Ae3
ATI drivers built-in that work right out of the box

that would be nice.

:yes:

StealthMode

I agree totally (Y)

ZGamer00

make sure you have divx codec on there, please. I want to be able to watch Naruto! (I don't know nothin bout linux, just started.)

neonix

guys i'll will add the .deb file to the pool and make some of them auto install the rest you can apt-get off the cd.

for each verson i'll make it suto install those program that its for.

BE AWARE I AM NOT PROGRAMING A NEW INSTALLER.

if you find a good debian installer befor i go down a lot with this installer tell me

PureEdit

This is a good idea, I will definitely try it if it is:

1. 1 CD

2. Not bloated with tons of apps like most distros

3. Looks nice after a fresh install

I would include X.org, gnome or xfce, mplayer, and apache. Things like XMMS and gaim would be nice as well.

Keep it MINIMAL ;)

nuka_t

i think it should have kde, enlightenment and fluxbox for window managers. screw gnome. kde pwnz it do death.

neonix

read my earler post plz

i am looking for hosting if anyone want to offre pm me i need ssh or telnet accese (to be able to use wget, becuase i got dial up and it will be a lot quicker if i do it manuly). i need max 250MB for the first iso. and then i can move it to sf.net on monday-friday.....

.... gtg

nuka_t

we need to use bittorent.

BartAfterDark
read my earler post plz

i am looking for hosting if anyone want to offre pm me i need ssh or telnet accese (to be able to use wget, becuase i got dial up and it will be a lot quicker if i do it manuly). i need max 250MB for the first iso. and then i can move it to sf.net on monday-friday.....

.... gtg

I got about 50gb bandwith ;)

And btw. are you thinking about making a gaming-server version. Like I sayed before. and yes, i know not many would use it. But some would :D

fukachu

i would definately have to say gaim on there. would be nice if you could have an optimised P4 version. 1 cd ofcourse would be great. i think we really need to think of things needed by users.

things i would need would include as said gaim (forget the rest of them gaim is better) openoffice, firefox, a windows formats compatiple media player, samba, thats all i can think of atm..

idk_

The only thing I can say is to make it user friendly. Take macOSX as an example.

Rek

We could have a Neowin Distro :ninja:

DaNIsH

I dont know if this is such a good idea.

If you just want to learn how to build a linux distro, sure. But you're making it sound like you want a full on distro that will be spread across the net.

Not only that, but you're not even going to bother writing any code for it to make it stand out.

IMO It will go nowhere. No offence.

Mike Douglas
I dont know if this is such a good idea.

If you just want to learn how to build a linux distro, sure. But you're making it sound like you want a full on distro that will be spread across the net.

Not only that, but you're not even going to bother writing any code for it to make it stand out.

IMO It will go nowhere. No offence.

gotta agree with this guy. Distro makers (Gentoo, SUSE, Mandrake) do quite a bit of coding to make their distro as user-friendly/powerful as they need. What the Linux Desktop doesn't need is more distros that serve no purpose :no: BTW, distrubuting NVidia/ATi drivers or the HL/CS server editon is illegal (especially by Debian's standards).

nuka_t

well, what suse does with nvidia drivers is they allow them to download them from nvidia through the suse update program and sign nvidias EULA, but then suse installs them for you.

Mike Douglas
well, what suse does with nvidia drivers is they allow them to download them from nvidia through the suse update program and sign nvidias EULA, but then suse installs them for you.

they probably have a deal with NVidia for redistribution

nuka_t

no. i dont think so. cause you can download microsoft truetype fonts from there as well. and you sign microsofts EULA.

neonix
BTW, distrubuting NVidia/ATi drivers or the HL/CS server editon is illegal (especially by Debian's standards).

not if i use unoffical (GPL) ati drivers as they are better but nvidai users you guy got good drivers from nvidia so your stuck.

to the person which offerd hosting above, i am pming you. and i dont care about bw i just need hosting untill this become a sf.net project and then they host it.

be aware the installer SUCKS but you only use it once in a life time (unless a:alien:n: come to your com. or your installing on more than 1 computer;);) )

you install all programs AFTER the installer to make it clear. (first time you boot you set up everything like username....PROGRAMs....) i will make an un offical package which INSTALLS everything for you that you want. it will be some thing like (for a gnome system); apt-cdrom add; having the cd in your cd driver; apt-get install gnome-neonix; ...

DONT BE SCRAD OF THE COMAND LINE:no:o:

it as easy as seting up your bios (and for all you hackers/overclockers it as easy as pie)

DaNIsH
be aware the installer SUCKS but you only use it once in a life time (unless a  :alien: come to your com. or your installing on more than 1 computer  ;) )

Well that's a bad way of looking at things.

I really don't think it's worth wasting your/other peoples time and bandwidth for a project that going by your attitude will go absolutely nowhere.