i'm starting my own distro

nuka_t

the mepis one dosent have a name i dont think. the good/bad thing about it is that it has no install options, it just install everything there is. thats the kind of thing your looking for with your distro right?

also, lindows is debian-based, but its not OS so i dont htink you can use its installer. although its a pretty noob friendly one.

neonix

can you give me some screeny of mepis in a pm if you can find? does it use x? what do you mean no options, what to install?

neonix

<unsniping> isnt mepis a LIVECD?

anyone want a livecd? then i'll use knoppix?

nuka_t

mepis is live, but it has an installer that you can use in x.

it just installs all the packages automatically, it dosent let you select the packages you want installed.

neonix

ok well i'v look at it its 2 cd FULL of junk and looks like i will have NO cule howto hack it besides the pool unless you give me 20 min with it.

nuke_t: screeny?

nad using an x installer can mean BIG problems

nuka_t

mepis is only one cd. the second cd is just a pile of useless crap that dosent install by default only the first cd. and no, sorry. no screeny now. maybe tomorrow.

neonix

/me reads a mepis page and sees the software is PRE-installed on cd and not just a HUGE pool.

so mepis IS now out of the question.

neonix

ok i'll start making the pool part of the cd with all the apps starting with gnome.

HELP WANTED

donations would be nice

nuka_t

no. not gnome. kde. kde. kde.

neonix

i want gnome i like gnome you can help adding kde to the pool if you want but i need to start a pool for all then add gnome for that, then with the pool for all make another version with kde crap..............

neonix

ok please request what styles/themes WHICH ARE GPL compateble and preferbly already a DEB.

i am taking for gnome and kde now, please give over links.

neonix

THEMES for kde/gnome

THE OFFICAL IRC CHAT CHANNEL HAS BEEN OPENED PLEASE GOTO irc.freenode.net #neonix

nuka_t can we talk in there

DaNIsH
you install all programs AFTER the installer to make it clear. (first time you boot you set up everything like username....PROGRAMs....) i will make an un offical package which INSTALLS everything for you that you want. it will be some thing like (for a gnome system); apt-cdrom add; having the cd in your cd driver; apt-get install gnome-neonix; ...

DONT BE SCRAD OF THE COMAND LINE  :no:

Sorry to quote an old already replied to post, but are you trying to say the installer will install a bare minimum system, and everything else the user will have to apt-get install <package> ?

Even WMs ? (Going by your "apt-get install gnome-neonix" example)

You do realise throwing a new user into a shell with barely any guidance will scare the hell out of them, dont you?

Even the official debian releases do more than this.

A more current issue, you're saying the installer doesn't matter because "You'll never see it again" ?

Sure, Linux doesn't require routine reimaging/reinstallations to keep it running smooth. But I can assure you, even the biggest linux gurus will occasionally mess up and require reinstallation.

And now you're asking for donations, not just help or bandwidth, but money? I know it's just a "please help" but for some reason asking for money donations, when you're not out of pocket at all, disgusts me.

I'm going to shut up now, I think I've criticised your idea enough. And your attitude towards the whole thing has done nothing but annoy me.

Your birthdate kind of explained it all.

/troll who will now be :no: from afar.

Have fun with your "hacking windoze users" (Profile -> Interests).

neonix

no i ment i'll will make EVERYTHING install by 1 apt-get install.

so i will make a package which has everything in it so you just apt-get it

neonix
Sorry to quote an old already replied to post, but are you trying to say the installer will install a bare minimum system, and everything else the user will have to apt-get install <package> ?

Even WMs ? (Going by your "apt-get install gnome-neonix" example)

You do realise throwing a new user into a shell with barely any guidance will scare the hell out of them, dont you?

Even the official debian releases do more than this.

A more current issue, you're saying the installer doesn't matter because "You'll never see it again" ?

Sure, Linux doesn't require routine reimaging/reinstallations to keep it running smooth. But I can assure you, even the biggest linux gurus will occasionally mess up and require reinstallation.

And now you're asking for donations, not just help or bandwidth, but money? I know it's just a "please help" but for some reason asking for money donations, when you're not out of pocket at all, disgusts me.

I'm going to shut up now, I think I've criticised your idea enough. And your attitude towards the whole thing has done nothing but annoy me.

Your birthdate kind of explained it all.

/troll who will now be :no: from afar.

Have fun with your "hacking windoze users" (Profile -> Interests).

money is spent on hiring help/support or mirrors.... not MYSELF but it might pay for my broundband seeing i can make my first iso already but it will take 20 hrs to upload on dial up :D so your paying for devolment... and i will be uploading after i beta test of LOCAL people (maybe get them to upload) .... :blush:

/me changese nick a bit

DaNIsH
no i ment i'll will make EVERYTHING install by 1 apt-get install.

so i will make a package which has everything in it so you just apt-get it

Users need options. I know when I'm installing linux I dont emerge (Gentoo) every package available.

And if you really want to throw all these possibly uneeded packages at a user why not do it during install?

Or too much work for you?

Fred Derf
Users need options. I know when I'm installing linux I dont emerge (Gentoo) every package available.

And if you really want to throw all these possibly uneeded packages at a user why not do it during install?

Or too much work for you?

What? You don't want 24 text editors installed?

neonix

no everything that you want like apt-get install gnome-neonix will be gnome, x, gaim, firefox, gimp, gmail plugin (checks for new gmail) ;)....

anyway the cd IS NO WAY GOING TO BE BLOATED (besides the kde one because kde is bloated...)

NO FLAMEWARS

DaNIsH
money is spent on hiring help/support or mirrors.... not MYSELF but it might pay for my broundband seeing i can make my first iso already but it will take 20 hrs to upload on dial up :D so your paying for devolment... and i will be uploading after i beta test of LOCAL people (maybe get them to upload) .... :blush:

/me changese nick a bit

"Hiring" help and mirrors ? We're talking about linux here. It's all about community.

If you throw out an idea and request for help that people agree with you'll be flooded with enthusiastic responses. Or at least enough to get something up and running. If you have to pay people to help on a linux distro you have problems. Meant in a "The project has problems" way not you personally.

You really need to think about what you're trying to do, and if it's worth the time wasted just to let everyone know how good you are.

Fred Derf
"Hiring" help and mirrors ? We're talking about linux here. It's all about community.

If you throw out an idea and request for help that people agree with you'll be flooded with enthusiastic responses. Or at least enough to get something up and running. If you have to pay people to help on a linux distro you have problems. Meant in a "The project has problems" way not you personally.

You really need to think about what you're trying to do, and if it's worth the time wasted just to let everyone know how good you are.

So far, I have yet to hear anything that couldn't be solved with a remastering of Knoppix (there's plenty of guides on this) with a new Logo and a few packaged added or removed.

In terms of one disk for KDE, one disk for Gnome and one or more disks for games. That's the whole point of Morphix, which is also Debian based.

DaNIsH
no everything that you want like apt-get install gnome-neonix will be gnome, x, gaim, firefox, gimp, gmail plugin (checks for new gmail) ;)....

anyway the cd IS NO WAY GOING TO BE BLOATED (besides the kde one because kde is bloated...)

NO FLAMEWARS

Sorry, I really don't mean to offend you or 'flame'. Of course I'm doing a pretty bad job at stopping myself.

I'm just trying to point out what people would want when looking for a linux distro.

Would 'apt-get install gnome-neonix' install Xorg, or XFree ? Would it generate configuration files for the users system ? Will there be an easy way to switch between WMs ? You say it will install XFree, I want Xorg, what will you do about it?

These are all questions you need to ask yourself.

Question: Is this distro for you, or for anyone? If for you, why upload it?

neonix
Sorry, I really don't mean to offend you or 'flame'. Of course I'm doing a pretty bad job at stopping myself.

I'm just trying to point out what people would want when looking for a linux distro.

Would 'apt-get install gnome-neonix' install Xorg, or XFree ? Would it generate configuration files for the users system ? Will there be an easy way to switch between WMs ? You say it will install XFree, I want Xorg, what will you do about it?

These are all questions you need to ask yourself.

Question: Is this distro for you, or for anyone? If for you, why upload it?

debian will never use xorg it making it own frame buffer :D

will the kde cd will use kdm, the gnome cd will use gdm the combind will use GDM as even kde user say its way better (themes/skinable NOT uglay) game server will use nort have x by the looks of it seeing its a SERVER, unless you guys wanted game-server + desktop (as i am sure some of you do)...

as for this SUPID question "Would it generate configuration files for the users system ?" why do you think debian is de best :p ? and read the debian docs before you ask something like that.

neonix
What? You don't want 24 text editors installed?

NO! (unless you using kde where there is: kedit, kwrite, kword, knote kvim,....).

DaNIsH
NO! (unless you using kde where there is: kedit, kwrite, kword, knote kvim,....).

He was commenting on my reply about you not giving users options.

Instead of "here are some packages, select what you want/unselect what you dont want" its "*chuck* YOU NOW HAVE A TON OF PACKAGES I WANT YOU TO HAVE".