i'm starting my own distro

neonix
He was commenting on my reply about you not giving users options.

Instead of "here are some packages, select what you want/unselect what you dont want" its "*chuck* YOU NOW HAVE A TON OF PACKAGES I WANT YOU TO HAVE".

i knew that i'v read my forum a few hundred times more than you ;)

Vidar

Ok, you're "installer" looks amazingly like the generic debian installer from woody. So nothing new there, and one apt-get for all? apt-get dist-upgrade. Done. I'm sorry man, but you're going to have to find something to appeal to people.

metal_dragen

I have to agree with Vidar and a couple others here. I see nothing in this "distro" that would appeal to anyone. Debian comes with all the tools, software, etc. that you need to do everything you're talking about doing out of the box. I fail to see why anyone would want to use this. As Vidar said, you need to add something to it in order for people to want to try it. If all you're doing is a remaster of a Debian LiveCD, you're wasting your time. There are bunches of these already out there, with years of development already behind them.

neonix
Ok, you're "installer" looks amazingly like the generic debian installer from woody. So nothing new there, and one apt-get for all? apt-get dist-upgrade. Done. I'm sorry man, but you're going to have to find something to appeal to people.

I SAID I AM NOT A PROGRAMER I WILL NOT PROGRAM A NEW INSTALLER ITS A WASTE OF TIME EVEN HACKING THE INSTALLER!

i am making a more uptodate iso image of debian sarge(testing) not woody(stable) this is good for someone which has dial up and cant not download woody then upgrade woody (seeing it will take 1 hole month) or it will be good for someone installing ONCE a hole bunch of pcs..........

DaNIsH
wtf. who is debianfan if anyone can give me his really name i'll see if i see him at SDLUG....

Your profiles have the same birthdate, you act exactly the same, and you joined not long after debianfan was banned. This is a HUGE coincidence if you're telling the truth.

neonix
I have to agree with Vidar and a couple others here. I see nothing in this "distro" that would appeal to anyone. Debian comes with all the tools, software, etc. that you need to do everything you're talking about doing out of the box. I fail to see why anyone would want to use this. As Vidar said, you need to add something to it in order for people to want to try it. If all you're doing is a remaster of a Debian LiveCD, you're wasting your time. There are bunches of these already out there, with years of development already behind them.

no i am no way making a livecd :blink: read post above

Fred Derf
I SAID I AM NOT A PROGRAMER I WILL NOT PROGRAM A NEW INSTALLER ITS A WASTE OF TIME EVEN HACKING THE INSTALLER!

i am making a more uptodate iso image of debian sarge(testing) not woody(stable) this is good for someone which has dial up and cant not download woody then upgrade woody (seeing it will take 1 hole month) or it will be good for someone installing ONCE a hole bunch of pcs..........

And people are asking what advantage will Neonix have that isn't present in Knoppix, Mepis and especially Morphix?

We're kinda of the opinion that this has already been done. So we're a little confused why you're asking people to donate money to pay for your personal high speed internet.

neonix
Your profiles have the same birthdate, you act exactly the same, and you joined not long after debianfan was banned. This is a HUGE coincidence if you're telling the truth.

so what 3 people in my class happen to be born on the same day as me and that out of 20 :huh: really every new teacher we have get shoked and when it comes that day we *now* dont have school (just our class) and go out somewhere. got to love a friendly and small loving school.

i'v been a long time vistor by join for say its not illegal to sell invites only account but google dont like when you sell them....

Fred Derf

The 3rd incarnation of Shimon? Surely no.

CaKeY

Ooo and you're on dial up... just like shimon... and he was banned shortly before debianfan showed up lol.

DaNIsH

They will still need to download your ISO, and then update as updates become available. What is the difference?

It's not like you're planning on posting a burnt CD to every single "neonix" user to save them the download.

neonix
And people are asking what advantage will Neonix have that isn't present in Knoppix, Mepis and especially Morphix?

We're kinda of the opinion that this has already been done. So we're a little confused why you're asking people to donate money to pay for your personal high speed internet.

as i have said i am not making a live cd, i am making a cd which has NOT 24 text prossers. and that you dont need the internet to get stuff like x.... and this is from debian TESTING (sarge) branch not stable so its a hell of a lot more newer....

comon woody has kde 2 for people who want kde they want kde 3.2!

and woddy doesnt run on a ht enabled computer or run on sata hdd..... so this cd will be need be alot with new hardware...

neonix
They will still need to download your ISO, and then update as updates become available. What is the difference?

It's not like you're planning on posting a burnt CD to every single "neonix" user to save them the download.

i can post if i get the money from S&H plus the cost of cds....

neonix
Ooo and you're on dial up... just like shimon... and he was banned shortly before debianfan showed up lol.

by any chance is this shimon's last name starting with ebra? because if so he is in my class....

Fred Derf
as i have said i am not making a live cd, i am making a cd which has NOT 24 text prossers. and that you dont need the internet to get stuff like x.... and this is from debian TESTING (sarge) branch not stable so its a hell of a lot more newer....

comon woody has kde 2 for people who want kde they want kde 3.2!

and woddy doesnt run on a ht enabled computer or run on sata hdd..... so this cd will be need be alot with new hardware...

Knoppix can be booted directly to the bash prompt and then installed with "knoppix-installer". Thus it is not required that it be used as a LiveCD. As such it already has the features you describe. If you really wanted to remaster Knoppix to boot directly to the installer than that would not be a difficult change.

I don't know much about Mepis but it too sounds similar to your project.

Morphix already has separate downloadable ISOs for Gnome, Kde, Xfce and gaming. As such, each ISO is fairly small to accomodate dial-up users. Like Knoppix, it is based on Debian testing.

All three of these distros are likely to use KDE 3.2, work on a ht enabled computer and run on a sata hdd.

So, again, what will Neonix offer that these don't?

DaNIsH
by any chance is this shimon's last name starting with ebra? because if so he is in my class....

Grow up.

neonix
Knoppix can be booted directly to the bash prompt and then installed with "knoppix-installer". Thus it is not required that it be used as a LiveCD. As such it already has the features you describe. If you really wanted to remaster Knoppix to boot directly to the installer than that would not be a difficult change.

I don't know much about Mepis but it too sounds similar to your project.

Morphix already has separate downloadable ISOs for Gnome, Kde, Xfce and gaming. As such, each ISO is fairly small to accomodate dial-up users. Like Knoppix, it is based on Debian testing.

All three of these distros are likely to use KDE 3.2, work on a ht enabled computer and run on a sata hdd.

THIS IS NO WAY GOING TO BE A LIVECD OR BASED ON ONE.... AND THE INSTALLER IS THE ONE WHICH IS GOING TO BE USED FOR SARGE.....

neonix
Grow up.

why dont you stop trolling in my thread?

Maxious

even better question: why can't you contribute what you are offering over debian to these other distros/debian?

im all for a neowin distro but it really has to have something to offer over stock debian :/ good luck!!!

neonix
even better question: why can't you contribute what you are offering over debian to these other distros/debian?

im all for a neowin distro but it really has to have something to offer over stock debian :/ good luck!!!

yes it will have all the apps on cd not leaving you to download from the net for a few days

neonix

if people dont want a distro here then i can stop making it for neowin and say BYE BYE for good....

kjordan2001
THIS IS NO WAY GOING TO BE A LIVECD OR BASED ON ONE.... AND THE INSTALLER IS THE ONE WHICH IS GOING TO BE USED FOR SARGE.....

You still don't answer how this would be different than any other distro. :no:

kjordan2001
if people dont want a distro here then i can stop making it for neowin and say BYE BYE for good....

It's not that. It's just there isn't an original idea in this distro. It doesn't offer anything new. It's just Debian with some packages changed or added.