i'm starting my own distro

Fred Derf
THIS IS NO WAY GOING TO BE A LIVECD OR BASED ON ONE.... AND THE INSTALLER IS THE ONE WHICH IS GOING TO BE USED FOR SARGE.....

You say that like a LiveCD is a bad thing. It isn't. It's a plus. LiveCDs can be used to install a distro PLUS they can be used to test compatibility previous to an install. Sarge (and presumably your distro, when and if we see it) can only be used to install. That's a minus.

The new Knoppix installer in 3.4 is simply a modified version of the Debian installer. The old installer in 3.3 was proprietary.

So I don't think either of your two points are advantages for Neonix. Assuming we agree that the installer is a tie.

neonix
It's not that. It's just there isn't an original idea in this distro. It doesn't offer anything new. It's just Debian with some packages changed or added.

well it going to support *newer* hardware than woody doesnt that going to be it key feature and not BLOATED....

Fred Derf
well it going to support *newer* hardware than woody doesnt that going to be it key feature and not BLOATED....

Again. Knoppix, Mepis, Morphix.

neonix
You say that like a LiveCD is a bad thing. It isn't. It's a plus. LiveCDs can be used to install a distro PLUS they can be used to test compatibility previous to an install. Sarge (and presumably your distro, when and if we see it) can only be used to install. That's a minus.

The new Knoppix installer in 3.4 is simply a modified version of the Debian installer. The old installer in 3.3 was proprietary.

So I don't think either of your two points are advantages for Neonix. Assuming we agree that the installer is a tie.

ok if no one want neonx i will close it right now and just install it for my self...

kjordan2001

Well, it's not like you have to install everything in Debian. Plus, what does that mean? You're going to only have Fluxbox or some lightweight WM? Some would call KDE bloated (which it is).

HellBender
ok if no one want neonx i will close it right now and just install it for my self...

Kid, I think you need to stop thinking that you're obliging us in doing this. Its nice and all, but acting arrogant is only going to get you flamed :dontgetit:

And yes, every linux distro has a kernel.. Thats the definition of Linux.

Fred Derf
well look at this http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=morphix morphix doesnt even come with the kernel :huh:

Distrowatch has trouble dealing with their module-based format. If you download one of the ISO compilations then it will include the kernel.

dewy

Would it be possible to use Anoconda for the installer? I can't belive no one else has suggested this =\

neonix
Wha? It has a kernel :blink:

its blank for that spot ;)

neonix
Would it be possible to use Anoconda for the installer? I can't belive no one else has suggested this =\

wtf is that dewy?

Mike Douglas

Anconda is the Red Hat installer

kjordan2001
its blank for that spot ;)

They just didn't fill it in :rolleyes:

If it didn't have the kernel, then it wouldn't be Linux, now would it?

neonix
Anconda is the Red Hat installer

:wacko:o: its RPM based no way will not work even if i hack it untill it does

Mike Douglas
:wacko: its RPM based no way will not work even if i hack it untill it does

works for Gentoo ;)

rpm's are just .tar.gz's with some metadata

neonix
They just didn't fill it in :rolleyes:

If it didn't have the kernel, then it wouldn't be Linux, now would it?

sure thats what they want ypu to think untill you download it :ninja:

neonix
works for Gento;);)

rpm's are just .tar.gz's with some metadata

so are .deb but they dont stuff everything that they need in the same file... debian make it same because if you need libx then it not in the same .deb that need it its in it own .deb,................:whistle:e:

dewy
wtf is that dewy?

LoL, you want to program a Distro and never heard of the Redhat/fedora installer, LMAO, wish you luck, why don'y you just use LFS any way?

neonix
LoL, you want to program a Distro and never heard of the Redhat/fedora installer, LMAO, wish you luck, why don'y you just use LFS any way?

:pinch: THIS IIS NOT A NEW DISTRO IT IS DEBIAN CD PROJECT....

Ruciz

Make a distro that supports multi-monitor/dual head video cards (Span screens as one huge desktop) and make support nativly for Canon i series printers (i320 cheapie) and I would use this distro. No matter which one I try the flavor is sour in these sections which are huge for reports and photography printing. Other than that make something similar to RPM's for updates.

Hell, make a distro that has a windows/linux GUI and lets you select which programs you need to be built into the ISO.. then it downloads them, builds the ISO and lets you write it to a CD/DVD. that would be cool.

Hope this takes off. Lookin forward to something easy and quick to use. PM if you want me to test anything :D

dotRoot

I'd like to recommend that for everyone's clarification that you (neonix) should edit your first post of this thread with the software you are going to include with your package. If not everything, than at least most of the important things. This will let people know mostly what's included and they can compare other or even their own distros.

And an even more important recommendation:

If this is going to be something for the community, then you need to also support the community, I've seen some pretty harsh replies to people from you.

[moribundi]
:pinch: THIS IIS NOT A NEW DISTRO IT IS DEBIAN CD PROJECT....

then what's with the title there, chief?

i'm starting my own distro, ..will be another distro which is debian
neonix
,Jul 5 2004, 05:14] then what's with the title there, chief?

yes it not a new distro, it is a distro ;)

Fred Derf
yes it not a new distro, it is a distro ;)

Young grasshopper has practiced hard to learn to split hairs so finely.