Tiger Or Longhorn

Which Will Be The Biggest Hit  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Which Will Be The Biggest Hit

• Tiger
    • Longhorn

Dude im sorry to say, but this is worthless. Why are you comparing 2 completly different things?? Tiger and Longorn.. Let me give you some advice. Next time do something like Panther and Tiger. They haven't even cOmpletly finished designing that OS.... No dice for you dude :no:

I don't think this question can be answered. Even when they are both on the market its all up to personal preference. I like windows xp, but I also like osx. I don't really like one more than the other. I don't really care for linux, but then again I have never used it. There are so many ppl out there that LOVE one os and not the other. People are so diverse that as long as both os's are solid products then you can't really say which is better to one person or another.

Dude im sorry to say, but this is worthless.  Why are you comparing 2 completly different things?? Tiger and Longorn.. Let me give you some advice. Next time do something like Panther and Tiger. They haven't even cOmpletly finished designing that OS.... No dice for you dude  :no:

As I said, interpretation of this thread: Mac or PC.

And no matter who wins in the end, you're not gonna convince PC loyalists to switch, nor can you convince Mac people to go back.

And how do you know Longhorn will definitely be shipped by 2006?

After re-reading my own post several times, I still can't find the part where I claimed that Longhorn will come out in 2006.

After re-reading my own post several times, I still can't find the part where I claimed that Longhorn will come out in 2006.

I just did some math. With your logic:

Tiger: 2005

As for those who are saying that that Apple will have 10.5 or 10.6 out when Longhorn ships, I'm guesing you missed all the news about Apple stopping their 1/year developement cycle.

10.5 (since not 1 year, let's guess it's about 2/3 years, which is pretty damn long enough to update an OS): 2007/2008

So what are in between? 2006/2007

As for those who are saying that that Apple will have 10.5 or 10.6 out when Longhorn ships, I'm guesing you missed all the news about Apple stopping their 1/year developement cycle.

The last report I heard for Longhorn said it would probably be released sometime in late 2006 or early 2007. Since 10.4 is due in the first half (or even possibly the first quarter) of 2005, that still leaves around 18 months for Apple to come out with 10.5 at around the same time as Longhorn. Apple said they would be slowing up the releases, but I doubt that it will be much more than 18 months to 2 years between releases.

why are we comparing two OSes that are for different plataforms?

why are we comparing two OSes that are in early developing stage?

why you guys care? :no:

I just did some math. With your logic:

Tiger: 2005

10.5 (since not 1 year, let's guess it's about 2/3 years, which is pretty damn long enough to update an OS): 2007/2008

So what are in between? 2006/2007

That's right. I did not make a reference to any specific date. It is the people claiming that 10.5/10.6 will be out when Longhorn ships that you should be correcting.

That's right. I did not make a reference to any specific date. It is the people claiming that 10.5/10.6 will be out when Longhorn ships that you should be correcting.

Quoted from you:

After re-reading my own postseveral times, I still can't find the part where I claimed that [10.5/10.6 will be out when Longhorn ships].

nuka_t: this is not personal but hey, if you can't see things from different sides, please leave.

You don't like Apple at the very beginning. If you can't see things from different points of views, there's no point for you to participate in this discussion. Note what I mentioned in my post in page 3 of this thread! Longhorn will be big. However, it will not the totally stable yet in its first version. The developer crews in Microsoft are only human, so are those in Apple. They make mistakes and need maybe two or three updates to recover their mistakes and make the entire OS better and more usable.

If you still think that Apple just uses the entire unix base without changing it a bit, time to go back to university - or maybe they don't teach that in your university since some prof. dislike Apple and think OS X is toy just as pathetically much as you do.

_tux_: Do you know this is not final version? How do you know they aren't supporting CD install in final? In fact, they include both CD and DVD in iLife '04. Plus, do you want Apple to stop and wait for you to get a new computer?

i DID like apple from the very begining. all the way from 10.1 to 10.2. but thenn when they started getting greedy and made .mac and got rid of itools(i tools was one of thebiggest reasons i wanted to switch back then) i lost interest.

how the hell do you know that longhorn wont be stable? obviously it ownt be completly bugfree, but no os is and ill bet my ass that longhorn will be the least bugfree os out ms has ever made. and about your previous post, when was the last time added functionality to osx with a free update? ummm, never. so why do you expect microsoft to do the same? they do add functionality to the os with service packs and other free updates, apple dosent do that. that point you made in your other post is totaly flawed. i think you are more one-sided tahn i am. and i dont care if you also have a pc at home. its not my fault osx cant be used daily without the need for windows.

and roadwarrior, your longhorn releasedates are a year late. its actually 2005/2006. get your facts straight buddy.

how the hell do you know that longhorn wont be stable? obviously it ownt be completly bugfree, but no os is and ill bet my ass that longhorn will be the least bugfree os out ms has ever made. and about your previous post, when was the last time added functionality to osx with a free update? ummm, never. so why do you expect microsoft to do the same? they do add functionality to the os with service packs and other free updates, apple dosent do that. that point you made in your other post is totaly flawed. i think you are more one-sided tahn i am. and i dont care if you also have a pc at home. its not my fault osx cant be used daily without the need for windows.

and roadwarrior, your longhorn releasedates are a year late. its actually 2005/2006. get your facts straight buddy.

Last time I checked, you have to pay to get 10MB Hotmail account, otherwise 2! Same applies to MSN Explorer. And charging you for email doesn't make the OS less good/stable, does it?

I didn't say it would not be stable, did I? I said it will be MORE stable in a few updates. (Please read only if you know how to.) And that's the _fact_ if you wanna talk about facts - unless you think it will be LESS stable in the next couple of updates of Longhorn?

And yes, I expect MS to do the same. Adding features but charge less. See what they added to SPs??? Security Center, YAY!!!

The flaws in my post are less than those in Windows and Linux, buddy. And, it's not my fault that some old stubborn prof. are as blind and loyal to PC as you are. It's not osx's fault that it can't be used daily because of people (remember those old stubborn prof. I mentioned?) like ya.

And let's play... if this thread is still alive... I will create one "[Poll] Operating Sys on Mac or Operating Sys on PC" - and that's the exact interpretation of this thread. I'll give it a day and see what happens. If this thread goes on, I believe the thread I just suggested would be more fun!

As for your "predicted" release date for Longhorn: What do you expect? They're Microsoft!

Edited by session

Well, I have read reports (posted here on Neowin) of anything from 2005-2007. The reports that have come out of Microsoft tend to indicate a late 2006 release, but as is typical of Microsoft, that could easily slip into 2007.

The problem is, there are no "facts" to get straight, since any release date for Longhorn is pure speculation.

edit: Here are the two most recent posts I can find with credible information on this.

29 Mar 2004

and

04 Apr 2004

Edited by roadwarrior

wow just watched the tiger vid, and it looks nice, especialy the ichat and search..

but i think the step MS are making is gonna be a better step than apple made..

Well, I have read reports (posted here on Neowin) of anything from 2005-2007. The reports that have come out of Microsoft tend to indicate a late 2006 release, but as is typical of Microsoft, that could easily slip into 2007.

The problem is, there are no "facts" to get straight, since any release date for Longhorn is pure speculation.

edit: Here are the two most recent posts I can find with credible information on this.

29 Mar 2004

and

04 Apr 2004

actually, i thought the latest news was that microsoft was dropping features off the list so that, no matter what, longhorn would ship in '06 at the latest.

Right Everyone, I dont want people arguing over this thread and didnt mean to offend anyone or people using a PC. The fact of the matter is I wanted to know what people thought of the progress being made by Apple and MS, I personally feel that MS are losing their touch and are expecting people to spend more money in the matter as well, the last time i looked at the specs needed to run longhorn, people with old pc's are not going to be able to run for a start and that worries me a bit and i feel for MS users, As for the Apple side of things I am glad that they are working around what people have already, tiger seems to be able to run on all the machines that they have released so far ( I Think ) so the steps there are more towards Apple and thats what I am talking about.

As for software i think we are making great steps forward, and if im correct in saying this, someone said that i should look to see how many new features there were in the tiger alpha, well i have seen loads so far, the 150 will probably be in the next release.

So i hope everyone stops shouting at each other.

Well this isn't right. :huh: Longhorn taking the lead in a poll in a Mac forum? :blink: That can't be good, is it? :unsure:

I'm not trolling. :no: ;) Just saying I'm surprised is all. :wacko:

OS X 10.5 will be out about the time LH is, so tiger is just a preview of what is coming :p

I dont think LH will be that great, it is just over hyped right now, and they really have nothing working yet.

Well this isn't right:huh:h: Longhorn taking the lead in a poll in a Mac forum:blink:k: That can't be good, is it:unsure:e:

I'm not trolling:no:o;);) Just saying I'm surprised is all:wacko:o:

Well there's more Windows users @ NWinb> than Mac ones, plus some Mac users (like myself) might believe Longhorn could be better than Tiger... It really should be, if it has at least another year on top of Tigers release, for development...

I really am hoping LH is good, but I just dont think it will be. Rember when windows XP was going to be the greatest thing ever? Well after using it for a few weeks everybody noticed it just just a little better then 2k.

OS 9 > X was like a 10 year jump in technology, I hope MS can pull something like that off.

actually, i thought the latest news was that microsoft was dropping features off the list so that, no matter what, longhorn would ship in '06 at the latest.

those were false, and if any features were dropped, they shouldnt have been in longhorn in the first place.

I really am hoping LH is good, but I just dont think it will be. Rember when windows XP was going to be the greatest thing ever? Well after using it for a few weeks everybody noticed it just just a little better then 2k.

OS 9 > X was like a 10 year jump in technology, I hope MS can pull something like that off.

That's my feeling as well. For me, this is Microsoft's last chance. I'm slowly leaning toward ditching my PC and buying an iBook/PowerBook. Since I don't really game on my PC anymore, I certainly can use an Apple for everything I do nowdays on my PC. And it's not that I'm bashing MS in any way, I just think they need to really come with something innovative and groundbreaking.

Well, if that's true, then I missed that one. Either way, we will at least have Tiger early next year. I'd still wager that 10.5 would come out around the same time as Longhorn, plus or minus a month or two.