[help] Wireless Signal Strength

Question

JaxeN

i just bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS PCI adapter. After i got everything working, I noticed my signal strength is always either 'low' or 'very low'. Theres no other 2.4ghz devices nearby. I tried changing channels but that made no difference. My router is located in a bedroom upstairs and the computer with the wireless PCI adapter is in an office room on the main floor. Earlier today i tried moving the router to the same room with the computer that uses the wireless pci adapter and i get "excellent" signal strength. Then i tried moving the router to the main hallway upstairs and my signal strength is low again. Are wireless signals suppose to be this weak or do i have a bad card?

Also another problem i have been experiencing is whenever i right-click the wireless network connection icon and go into properties, if i click on the "Wireless Networks" tab my explorer.exe will crash and everything closes. Anyone know what can be causing this?

11 answers to this question

The_Decryptor

It might be stuff in your walls, radio waves have trouble passing through solid material, especialy radio waves generated by home devices cause they are limited in power output.

Also, it might be a driver problem causing the crash

Edit: If it's a desktop, make sure the tower isnt in-between of the arial and the receiver, that will lower the signal strength too

Flae_qui

i'd say the walls my house is a bit old and has plaster walls cut the signal down alot. but if you have drywall you should have np

JaxeN

Its all drywall between the router and the pci adapter.

jamend

Try playing with the antennas... repeat the process of moving it a little bit, moving away and waiting for a few seconds, and checking the signal strength. If your wireless adapter came with software that shows the signal strength in percent or something similar, use that instead of Windows XP's useless 5 bar indicator (which is innacaurate and completely wrong for me... 5 bars = 60% or so).

Flae_qui

the PCI adapter have a antenna on it if so you got the PC shoved in a holes some place? had that problem once had to move the PC atop the desk

JaxeN

the PC tower with the pci adapter is in a cabinet in my desk. I'll try moving the tower.

JaxeN

Ok my tower is now on top of my desk next to my monitor. The signal strength is now either 'Low' or 'good' (2-3 bars) which is still depressing :(

alfador

It probably differs across models, but with my Belkin card, if it's picking up any signal at all (6%), it's strong enough to work properly and at full speed. If your connection seems good, I wouldn't worry about what the signal strength is.

JaxeN

My internet is noticeably alot slower. Im just gonna return this card to Futureshop and get a replacement. Hopefully it will solve this issue.

JaxeN

Im about to go to futureshop soon. Do you guys think i should exchange the pci card or the router?