Intellipoint 4.01 problems

My mouse keeps locking up... say every 60 seconds for 5 seconds since i installed the 4.01 intellipoint drivers! AHHH!!! I Changed back to my old drivers, and uninstalled the software, but still the same problem!!! I am on the verge of insanity, help!

You say the problem continues after uninstalling so it would be wise to check your pyshical cables and if you are using an Optical mouse then you should check that there is no fluff or hairs in front of the laser as this can cause "locks" and erratic movement.

If that fails and you are using USB you might want to change the actual socket it's plugged into.

If all this fails then it might be an OS problem so if you haven't disabled System Restore load it up and restore to a point before the problems started.

Probably 10 time by now huh?

Don't you just hate it when you think you have fixed a problem and it needs 'just one more restart' and everything will be OK? And then of course nothing has changed.

The wonders of computers.

Ok, i have determined that it IS my hardware, because it does the same thing after re-install... BUT I SWEAR THAT I NEVER HAD THIS ****ING PROBLEM BEFORE 4.01 drivers!!! ARGHH! Mouse lens is clean, and cables proper, what could it be???

Thanx,

hey man...

get yourself an old serial/ps2 mouse. totally remove your MS mouse and start your machine up with a new/old style mouse. make sure all the drivers/software are out of your machine with the old mouse attached.

reboot a few times, and make sure ONE of those reboots is in safe mode.

after 3-4 reboots, plug that USB mouse back in and reinstall your ORIG. drivers, and you'll be good to go.

Kosmo

hehehe - I've had no problems with it at all :rambo: with the mouse you should of had a USB to PS2 convertor jack, try that. if everything fails, uninstall all the mouse drivers from the "Add Remove Programs Menu", reboot, and see if the plug 'n' play usb picked it up.

If this fails, then maybe it's your mouse physically with a problem.

Can you please explain why do you need to reboot a few time and have to reboot into safemode? Rebooting once with PS2 mouse attached should make Windows forgets about Intelli Mouse and use PS2 driver (I hope), what's the point in rebooting into safemode? :s

heres why you want to reboot into safe mode.

when you boot up your computer, windows logs everything that it does on a correct bootup. if you have no hardware/software changes, it will boot exactly the same way it did last time. if you take it up in safemode however, it loads no drivers, firmware, or many startup stuff. on the next boot, it then creates a new, good log for the next few boots. also, windows can repair itself as it boots up into safe more...ive seen this more than a few times.

kosmo

I have done a re-install of my OS (it needed it anyways...) and still have the problem. I figured out what it is, and it that the red LED on the underside of the mouse keeps going out and wont come back on until i lift the mouse up, and put back down. I SWEAR TO GOD that the 4.01 drivers did SOMETHING to my computer!!!