Tour de France

it's been said on eurosport many, many times. It's in some magazines too, i think the official tour guide may have something on that but don't quote me there!

Here is something I found:

http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online...ml/pr-discovery

Looks like he will try again in next years tour too, according to this. I'm surprised about that. But I do wish him well.

DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS SIGNS THREE-YEAR AGREEMENT AS

TITLE SPONSOR OF LANCE ARMSTRONG'S USPS TEAM

Title Sponsorship to begin in 2005

Silver Spring, Md. - Discovery Communications announced today a new global partnership to become the title sponsor of five-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong's U.S. Postal Service Pro Cycling Team, the only American team to have won the Tour de France.

Beginning in 2005, the team will be known as the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team. Under the agreement, Armstrong will serve as an on-air personality across Discovery's networks in the United States and around the world. There will be a number of programming initiatives to be announced later. The Discovery Channel will be prominently featured on the team's complete uniform and on team-related communication and promotional materials. In addition, during the remainder of the 2004 cycling season, Discovery will sponsor the team with the placement of the Discovery Channel logo on the team's jerseys.

Armstrong will attempt to win his sixth consecutive Tour de France next month and also announced today he will race in next year's Tour de France.

"Lance is a role model known for determination, integrity and a spirit that never gives up. There is no better ambassador for quality and trusted information than Lance Armstrong," said Judith A. McHale, president and chief executive officer, Discovery Communications. "This global partnership will bring Lance and the team to many of Discovery's programming and off-air activities in the United States, Europe and across the globe."

"I'm truly excited about our team's partnership with Discovery Communications and their long-term commitment to the sport of cycling," said Armstrong.

Armstrong will also be featured in programming on a number of Discovery Networks, namely the Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, The Science Channel as well as Discovery's television properties dedicated to health, wellness and fitness - Discovery Health Channel and FitTV. Discovery Health Channel is the leading cable network dedicated to focusing on health, wellness, leading-edge medicine and the human spirit. Discovery Networks, U.S., a division of DCI, launched fitness network FitTV, formerly The Health Network, in late December of 2003.

The Outdoor Life Network broadcasts live coverage of the Tour de France and airs "The Lance Chronicles: The Real Life Saga of Armstrong's Quest For Six."

Here is another one I just found:

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,3253,87...category_id=367

With a three-year deal worth "multi-million dollars" said Discovery Networks' president, William Campbell, Discovery will take over title sponsorship of the team from the United States Postal Service, which has sponsored it since 1995, one of the longest-running sponsors in the sport today. Postal's contribution has been listed at anywhere from $2 million to $9 million per year; with the new UCI Pro Tour coming into play next year (Tailwind is the sole U.S. team organization to formally apply for the sole American team spot) and Armstrong's asking price not getting any cheaper, Discovery's investment can easily be called significant. ESPN.com's sports business reporter, Darren Rovell, wrote that the total team budget for this year was at least $14 million.

Most important, of course, was the concurrent announcement that Armstrong would be back, undoubtedly a key to securing such a huge benefactor. "I'll be here for at least one more year, maybe two," he said in prepared remarks. Later, during a question and answer session, he hinted at staying through the 2006 season and concentrating perhaps on other races than the Tour, but qualified those remarks by adding, "But that's a long way away" and that he needed to focus on the upcoming Tour de France.

That seems to sum it up pretty well.

Also please check out www.wearyellow.com, it's a site made by Nike for Lance Armstrong were you can buy yellow wristband things that way LiveSTRONG on them, the money from the wristbands goes toward cancer research

Very good cause. Thanks for the info! :)

Caught up in the excitement, are ye? :D

He is certainly one of the best endurance athletes of all time, I would say.

But Bo Jackson was awesome, was he not?

Bruce Jenner too, for his day. (Y)

Can't forget Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali (sp?) ...but clearly Lance is the best Cyclist ever ..in my opinon

Can't forget Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali (sp?) ...but clearly Lance is the best Cyclist ever ..in my opinon

Best cyclist, I can certainly get behind, at least with my limited exposure to the sport in recent years. I don't know that much about cycling, but what Lance has been able to do, it certainly seems one of the most impressive feats in sports. Dude is nails! (Y)

it's been said on eurosport many, many times. It's in some magazines too, i think the official tour guide may have something on that but don't quote me there!

my tour guide says only berry floor will not sponsor them in 2005. :p wierd.

dunno, Mercx didn't win 6 tours (a tink that will probably do Lance), but the big difference is that Lance almost only competes once each year, the other big cyclists did a lot of races during a year, and they won many of them. ^^

dunno, Mercx didn't win 6 tours (a tink that will probably do Lance), but the big difference is that Lance almost only competes once each year, the other big cyclists did a lot of races during a year, and they won many of them. ^^

They were discussing this on the radio and said that he competes in at least 6 events including the Tour each year. I don't get why people say he only does the Tour and that is it. He had done a warm-up some weeks before the tour. They talked about it on the channel covering the race.

BTW - Lance is just a FREAKIN' STUD! Won the 17th stage. How freakin' cool is that???

They were discussing this on the radio and said that he competes in at least 6 events including the Tour each year. I don't get why people say he only does the Tour and that is it. He had done a warm-up some weeks before the tour. They talked about it on the channel covering the race.

BTW - Lance is just a FREAKIN' STUD! Won the 17th stage. How freakin' cool is that???

yeah,he raced in the dauphine libere and won the tour de georgia this spring.cant re call of any others but he does race in the spring. :yes: i think he was at hte tmobile international race too.

No doubt in my mind Armstrong will win again. I think he's one of the few that understands that winning the battle is far from winning the war. I don't honestly believe he really has any competition yet, but given a few more years age will be the deciding factor.

He's won another stage - this guy is so good.

I tell you though, the taunts from the crowds towards him are so idiotic.

Overall standings

1. Lance Armstrong (USA/USP) 74hr 04min 56sec

2. Ivan Basso (ITA/CSC) at 4:09

3. Andreas Kloden (GER/MOB) 5:11

4. Jan Ullrich (GER/MOB) 8:08

5. Jose Azevedo (POR/USP) 10:41

6. Francisco Mancebo (SPA/BAL) 11:45

7. Georg Totschnig (AUT/GRL) 12:56

8. Carlos Sastre (SPA/CSC) 15:14

9. Levi Leipheimer (USA/RAB) 16:25

10. Pietro Caucchioli (ITA/ALS) 16:33

11. Oscar Pereiro (SPA/PHO) 17:52

12. Christophe Moreau (FRA/C.A) 19:57

13. Michael Rasmussen (DEN/RAB) 20:20

14. Gilberto Simoni (ITA/SAE) 20:41

15. Thomas Voeckler (FRA/BLB) 21:12

16. Richard Virenque (FRA/QST) 21:53

17. Vladimir Karpets (RUS/BAL) 21:57

18. Sandy Casar (FRA/FDJ) 23:08

so armstrong has been on the sadle for 74 hours, and basso is 4 minutes behind him

dude, i could probly not even finish a stage in that race, and he can dominate it like this.

he is like ken jennings on the bike! i love it.

can someone give some statistics?

length of the whole thing

how long they've been going for and how for are they at

current positions

you can be a TdF expert by going here :cool: