best windows for gaming

well my main OS is SuSE 9.1,but i have a Windows partition just for gaming,can anyone give me a guide or some tut on how to strip down,and i mean STRIP down windows to just a gaming os,and which windows would be the best?thnx a bunch in advace

--StealthX

i knew that site already,but still,xp seems to slow for me,i have 2000 around here somewhere,i'll try that out

2000 is better than XP. im a competitive gamer and many factors come into mind why windows 2000 is a better OS for gaming. your in game sensitivity is the same in ALL games in windows 2000 whereas in xp it differs. when you have windows xp you also need to use a mouse accel registery fix. games run more stable on windows 2000 than windows xp.

going from win2k to xp pro takes time to get accustomed to everything.

edit

the only reason why i moved to xp pro was because all the tournament machines are now ran on windows xp home or pro.

long live the 4 years i used win2k. you wont be forgotten.:)

xp is too bloated,i was wondering if there is a way to strip down xp or some other windows

i'm getting a new computer soon and i'm going to make it basically just for gaming and i've been thinking about whether to go with 2000 or XP. currently, i'm leaning towards XP and just thinning it down a little, turning off some useless stuff and such. it's not too hard. plus, if you computer is good enough to run relatively recent games, it should be plenty good to run xp, even if it is a little bloated...

but 2000 is always good. whatever suits you best :)

Can't believe all the silly recommendtions here...

Windows XP.

That is the best windows desktop platform, period.

Guess what? windows 2000 has services too, and you have to tweak 2k just as much as xp to get that LITTLE extra %out of it.

"Bloated" is all in your mind.

nope,just installed 2000 and its WAY faster than xp,and dont say because i formated,because my XP was just formated too

1. windows 98 takes less than 10 seconds to boot

2. all the new viruses don't work with win98 (most of them)

3. takes less than 300mb in your hard disk

:yes:

use 2003 but use the stnd edition more in it it rocks just try the trial *cough cracks* or just keep reintalling the trial it runs fine

I like XP,Turn all but necessary services off and it runs like butter on my system.

Unless I'm playing MLB,then I have to keep sweeping broken glass off of my desktop. :rofl:

I vote for w98, cuz is the fastest for a gamer, plus on moderns PCs its really very fast, and once on thomshardware made a review on wich was the fatest win for a gamer and guess who got the highest score?

i would go with a custom made windows xp embedded gaming edition made by me, increases performace in games by at least 25-150% depending on which game your running, some quick numbers on my pc in 3dmark03 i got a good 3383 on normal clean xp, and on clean formated installed windows xp embedded gaming edition (custom made by me for my system) i got 4628, i donno what % that is, but thats an amazing improvement