"I never stay outside for `God Bless America,'"

Jul. 3, 2004. 02:02 PM

Citizen Carlos

Jays' Delgado fights for justice on Puerto Rican island

Vieques ravaged by six decades of U.S. weapons testing

GEOFF BAKER

SPORTS REPORTER

VIEQUES, Puerto Rico?For more than a year Carlos Delgado has been staging his own private protest. Its origins are rooted on the tranquil shores of this picturesque island, until recently a testing site for bombs and missiles used by the United States in Iraq.

When "God Bless America" is played during major league baseball games in some U.S. cities, the staunchly anti-war Blue Jays first baseman refuses to stand outside the dugout.

"I never stay outside for `God Bless America,'" Delgado said. "I actually don't think people have noticed it. I don't (stand) because I don't believe it's right, I don't believe in the war."

Small wonder that Puerto Rican native Delgado shows little patience today for the flag-waving, pro-military pageantry seen at major league games since the Sept. 11 terror attacks and U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

While the conflict in Iraq and the problems confronting Vieques are separate issues, they are also intertwined. That's because the fishermen, farmers and shopkeepers of this island unwillingly paid a huge price so the U.S. could certify the weaponry used in Iraq.

Delgado was already "anti-war" before being involved in Vieques and now has some choice opinions about U.S. foreign policy and the Iraq conflict.

"It's a very terrible thing that happened on Sept. 11," Delgado said. "It's (also) a terrible thing that happened in Afghanistan and Iraq. I just feel so sad for the families that lost relatives and loved ones in the war.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=969907739730

That's pretty surprising from a guy who makes $19 million/year and is in his final year of a contract. The Jays don't seem to be at all interested in resigning him. His salary is nearly half on the entire team.

He's only 32.

Small wonder that Puerto Rican native Delgado shows little patience today for the flag-waving, pro-military pageantry seen at major league games

You know whats really funny is how biased this story is.... The person who wrote it obviously is "anti-war" himself and has some how connected that new tradition with the war in Iraq.......... That's not how I remember it happening.... I remember it happening at the first Sunday game after September 11th 2001.

"pro-military pageantry"? Using that logic the national anthem sung at every game is a "pro-military pageantry" as well.

It's a real shame people have to try and connect things that are in no way connected to begin with.

"pro-military pageantry"?  Using that logic the national anthem sung at every game is a "pro-military pageantry" as well.

It's a real shame people have to try and connect things that are in no way connected to begin with.

Canadians disagree:

Should the Montreal Expos and Toronto Blue Jays play God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch as mandated by Major League Baseball?

Yes 8243 votes (32 %)

No 17543 votes (68 %)

Total Votes: 25786

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Pag...bhub=VoteResult

Well, are you surprised? We're not America, we're Canada. I doubt the Americans would like having "O Canada" play in the 3rd quarter of NHL games. :)

You know whats really funny is how biased this story is.... The person who wrote it obviously is "anti-war" himself and has some how connected that new tradition with the war in Iraq.......... That's not how I remember it happening.... I remember it happening at the first Sunday game after September 11th 2001.

"pro-military pageantry"? Using that logic the national anthem sung at every game is a "pro-military pageantry" as well.

But we keep doing it because?

I respect the guy for this, Vieques is a horrible situation, and it ironically says a lot about US/PR relations

Well, are you surprised? We're not America, we're Canada. I doubt the Americans would like having "O Canada" play in the 3rd quarter of NHL games. :)

I'd ignore a 3rd quarter hockey reference from an American poster but a Canadian should know better.

Canadians disagree:

Should the Montreal Expos and Toronto Blue Jays play God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch as mandated by Major League Baseball?

Yes 8243 votes (32 %)

No 17543 votes (68 %)

Total Votes: 25786

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Pag...bhub=VoteResult

Delgado is doing it for a different reason then that poll suggested.

Delgado is doing it for a different reason then that poll suggested.

I posted the poll data to address the "pro-military pageantry" issue.

I posted the poll data to address the "pro-military pageantry" issue.

I don't even see how the poll relates to that...... If I was a Jays or Expo fan and lived in Canada I wouldn't want to either.................

My point was, this article connected that song to the US Military.... that doesn't make sense...... The song is pro-America. (on a side note, Canada is located in North AMERICA last time I checked, but I'll ignore that minor detail) But, if the song is pro-military, then the national anthems are as well, the US anthem and the Canadian Anthem. They're pro-American and pro-Canadian, Just like God Bless America is. The US isn't run by the military, just like Canada isn't. (go away you consperisy theorist trolls)

I don't even see how the poll relates to that...... If I was a Jays or Expo fan and lived in Canada I wouldn't want to either.................

My point was, this article connected that song to the US Military.... that doesn't make sense...... The song is pro-America. (on a side note, Canada is located in North AMERICA last time I checked, but I'll ignore that minor detail) But, if the song is pro-military, then the national anthems are as well, the US anthem and the Canadian Anthem. They're pro-American and pro-Canadian, Just like God Bless America is. The US isn't run by the military, just like Canada isn't. (go away you consperisy theorist trolls)

Couldn't agree more -- the national anthem doesn't mean you endorse the military. It's called athletes being little babies. You want to make a stance, fine. But don't disrespect the country itself.

Actually, now that I read what you said a second time, how is the National Anthem not pro-military? With lines like:

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, ...

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, ...

Not to mention, let's get those two unsung verses in there too:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion

A home and a country should leave us no more?

Their blood has wiped out their foul footstep's pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I know what you're saying, but the National Anthem most definately is a military song ;)

Actually, now that I read what you said a second time, how is the National Anthem not pro-military? With lines like:

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, ...

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, ...

Not to mention, let's get those two unsung verses in there too:

I know what you're saying, but the National Anthem most definately is a military song  ;)

Well, from what I understand, The song is about the Revolutionary war, where The US "fought for their freedom" from England. It's about fighting that war.

But also, God Bless America doesn't mention anything about a war or the military or anything of the likes.....

:angry: Just to make it clear... Not ALL Puerto Ricans think the way Delgado and a minority groups think. I am Puerto Rican and I am also a US Citizen, I do respect my country, but I respect the Nation that bring us to our feets!! To you my brothers of Puerto Rico, if you think you can live without the US, think again, and look to Cuba, and look to the Dominican Republic... no disrespect to those countries, and the brothers who live there, but I rather be an American, to have to risk my life and trying to get to US Soil or take my life for granted...

Note to self: Soy Boricua, Pa' que tu lo sepas!!! :yes:

Why should we give a **** what puerto rico thinks. The ****ers vote down being a state every year so they wont be subject to income tax.

Well, from what I understand, The song is about the Revolutionary war, where The US "fought for their freedom" from England. It's about fighting that war.

But also, God Bless America doesn't mention anything about a war or the military or anything of the likes.....

Err, no:

It was the valiant defense of Fort McHenry by American forces during the British attack on September 13, 1814 that inspired 35-year old, poet-lawyer Francis Scott Key to write the poem which was to become our national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner." The poem was written to match the meter of the English song, "To Anacreon in Heaven." In 1931 the Congress of The United States of America enacted legislation that made "The Star-Spangled Banner" the official national anthem.

But you're right, God Bless American doesn't.

Why should we give a **** what puerto rico thinks. The ****ers vote down being a state every year so they wont be subject to income tax.

now that's what I am talking about, mind narrow-rednecks that think we are less than you!... I am as an American as you are, Fkhead! and we do pay as much as you do on taxes nazi-mofo! stay in your state, and let the grown ups post here!! :crazy: and by the way... think again before posting, you elected a migrated-actor with bad English accent to be your Governor.... so, please stay off the topic!!

lmao!!!

PS I bet you are either a wet-back, or maybe your mammy's in-laws are near that reality! :whistle:

now that's what I am talking about, mind narrow-rednecks that think we are less than you!... I am as an American as you are, Fkhead! and we do pay as much as you do on taxes nazi-mofo! stay in your state, and let the grown ups post here!! :crazy:  and by the way... think again before posting, you elected a migrated-actor with bad English accent to be your Governor.... so, please stay off the topic!!

lmao!!!

PS I bet you are either a wet-back, or maybe your mammy's in-laws are near that reality! :whistle:

:pinch: :no: ouch

~~~~

a testing site for bombs and missiles used by the United States in Iraq.

uhh and various other places for the past 30 years or so not just iraq. and its not like they are nuclear or bio-warefare or anything just regular missles and bombs, so i see no fuss over it...especially if the pureto rican government allows us to use the island

I'm not american, and this is quite confusing to me...

A) Hawaii and Puerto Rico are USA states? :huh:

B) "God bless America" is your 2nd anthem or something? :unsure:

I'm not american, and this is quite confusing to me...

A) Hawaii and Puerto Rico are USA states? :huh:

B) "God bless America" is your 2nd anthem or something? :unsure:

a) Hawaii is, but Puerto Rico isn't

b) no, just a way showing respect to people who gave their lives defend our Nation I do believe. (correct me if I'm wrong)

a) Hawaii is, but Puerto Rico isn't

b) no, just a way showing respect to people who gave their lives defend our Nation I do believe. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Puerto Rico is a self-governing unincorporated organized territory of the United States, in the eastern Caribbean, consisting of the island of Puerto Rico and some smaller islands. Its official name is The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico's ultimate legal status is a subject of continuing debate.

On July 25, 1898 Puerto Rico was invaded by the United States of America with a landing at Gu?nica Bay.

I think I can see his point...

A) He is not american

B) America invaded his country

C) That anthem his about the people who gave their lives attacking his country. (?)

So he's not an american, and you took his country away, why should he listen to your anthem?