Neowin Messenger Code Problem

Question

HI guys... I am having a serious bug with Neowin Messenger which I have only been able to get around with delay hacks, which seem to cause more problems than fix. I will try and explain the problem:

For those of you that have been using Neowin Messenger you will probably realise that it works on the TCP Client>Server model.

The problem is always the loading of the 'logged in buddies' onto the treeview control of the person that is logging in... ie loading everyone that is already logged in.

The server is sending this to the client that has just logged on

Select Case lstUsers.Text
	Case Is <> (tempnick & "???")

For i = -1 To lstUsers.ListCount

Pause (2)
                        ServiceSocket(ServiceSocket().UBound).SendData "USER???" & lstUsers.List(i)

DoEvents%

Next i
End Select

As you can see, it is going through the lastUsers list line by line (every logged on buddy is loaded onto a seperate line here) and sending each line of the lstUsers to the newly logged in client.

I had to stick a Pause in there becuase on slower connections, instead of the client reciveing the "USER???" & lstUsers.List(i) line by line, it clumps it all together, so i needed to put 2 second Pause in there.

This is what the client is doing:

Dim IncomingData As String

Winsock1.GetData IncomingData

func = Split(IncomingData, "???")(0)
dat = Split(IncomingData, "???")(1)

If Left(IncomingData, 4) = "USER" Then

frmBuddy.BuddyList.Nodes.Add "MAIN", tvwChild, , (dat), 2, 2
      Pause 0.08
End If

I really need to know how to stop this data being clumped together on slower connections.

What would be ideal I guess.. is to send all of the users at once from the sever in once line, but being seperated by the "???", and then on the client, looping around and adding every user in between "???" on a different treeview entry. I cant figure out how to do this though

Thanks for your help in advance

2 answers to this question