(Dial-Up) V.92 modem falling back to V.34?

Okay, before I moved to the middle of nowhere (Palm Coast, FL ... no broadband services here) I used broadband Internet, and before that I used Prodigy 56k (which I never had a problem with)... When I got here, I built myself a new computer. I took the v.92 PCTel Platinum modem from my old computer and installed it on my current rig (see sig).

First, I tried AOL (bad move..). It connected at 28.8K (Which is V.34, right? 28.0K = V.90/92?)... Which I thought was odd, but it was AOL, so I laughed it off. After a reformat to get rid of AOL's creepy hardware/software settings, I did NOT update my modem's software (It only utilizes V.90 without latest driver from PCTEL) I signed up for Access4Less (which a few of my friends had used and reported mid 40K connection speeds, in my same area.) Connected to a few numbers, all got 28.8K. I installed the latest driver for my modem... Which made the modem show up as a V.92 modem in Device Manager. I connected and got 21.6K!? Absolutely baffling me, I rolled back the driver and it connected at 28.8K.

Thinking this was a phone line clarity problem, I checked it out, dialed 1, listened carefully... absolutely clean (hey, it's a new phone line... new house.) This got me more confused. Considering the modem connected at ~46K constantly in Arizona, I thought maybe the phone company's line quality sucked... I called BellSouth and they ran a voice clarity check, or something, and they said the line was fine out here and that it was a newer, high quality line run in my neighborhood.

I then signed up for a free trial of PeoplePC to see if it was my ISP, and got 28.8k (even dialling a Daytona Beach #.) Then, uninstalled PPC, tweaked DUN settings, tweaked registry settings, still got 28.8K.

I'm running out of options here! The download speeds aren't too bad (3.5-4.5k/s), but my ping is usually over 300 (even with modem compression off?).

Any help would be oh so lovely.

PING Results:

ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [x.x.x.x] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from censored: bytes=32 time=341ms TTL=50

Reply from censored: bytes=32 time=316ms TTL=52

Reply from censored: bytes=32 time=321ms TTL=50

Reply from censored: bytes=32 time=313ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for censored:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 313ms, Maximum = 341ms, Average = 322ms

Oh, and I did try it with a brand new modem from my friend's PC. Same result -- 28.8k.

Could be a modem setting in the control panel. Or it could also be that the software you're using to conenct to your ISP with is limiting it. May want to check that out. umm, get a new modem? If its the same result you can always take it back. You could also try your modem to connect to your ISP on another computer.

Thanks for the reply.

I've already done all of that though. I've tried numerous string settings, all of which have never worked.

I've also tried all those ISP's on my old computer. All created the same connection speed, 28.8k.

Oh, and I'm using an ISP that allows you to use DUN (thank god), so the dialer/software isn't an issue. >.<

Its the Line, ours is 28.8k also the best we can connect at, I bet thats what it is, see if they support DSL there if not and if you cant get any better connections then thats the best you can get.

Thinking this was a phone line clarity problem, I checked it out, dialed 1, listened carefully... absolutely clean (hey, it's a new phone line... new house.) This got me more confused. Considering the modem connected at ~46K constantly in Arizona, I thought maybe the phone company's line quality sucked... I called BellSouth and they ran a voice clarity check, or something, and they said the line was fine out here and that it was a newer, high quality line run in my neighborhood.

I take it you didn't read that paragraph?

Satellite = $500 setup, no thanks. I'd rather move. :)

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion, Sim... It'd have to be the line.

I think I'll contact BrightHouse and see if I can get cable where I'm at.

I take it you didn't read that paragraph?

I did, but could be new meaning the same as I got here right now, But hey at least you can get cable, cant even get that or DSL here!

I live in Florida as well, a little farther south. Anyway I have some serious problems with my phone lines here. Right now I'm connected at 48.0. Most of the time I will connect at 16.8 or 19.2, in that area. I only get a decent connection somteimes at night.

But it hasn't always been like this, only for the past couple of weeks. It really sucks.

I live in Florida as well, a little farther south. Anyway I have some serious problems with my phone lines here. Right now I'm connected at 48.0. Most of the time I will connect at 16.8 or 19.2, in that area. I only get a decent connection somteimes at night.

But it hasn't always been like this, only for the past couple of weeks. It really sucks.

That seems to be similar to my problem. 48.0K = V.90/92, right? Why does it go down to V.34 like that? My ISP has V.92/90 support ON ALL NUMBERS, but um...

Any ideas about why it's falling back?

A voice clarity test will do nothing, This is a data transmission which can be affected by voltage changes in the line

even though it's an analog signal; Do you have any other devices connected to this phone line? fax machines etc?

How long is the phone cord from your computer to the wall? over 5 feet isn't recommended

It's around 2-3 feet. I'm living with my dad, so I'll disconnect his fax machine tomorrow morning when he goes off to work.

Thanks for the advice, Jared.