Create a folder or shortcut without a name

Sorry Herby, you know about how to remove icons from desktop and remain using it <I'm a moron>, I make in this manner: after I have installaled several programs <e.g. after clean install> then my primary desktop is replete of icons I don't like this behavior because I think what it ugly my wallpaper then I drag all icons to Quick Launch and resize Taskbar for achieve one larger size, after I open Windows Explorer create one folder named as All Icons Unused in My Documents and after I click on first item <Desktop> select all icons and move to folder All Icons Unused and so for all news programs what create icons on install, but I think this changes request more memory usage then I recommend for someone people what attempt make this changes only if have at least 256MB RAM for avoid problems or slow behaviors and disable also Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days for gain one bit of memory LOL; as result in my opinion is one desktop absolutely clean look my sig again and verify what you think about guy? :p

Sorry Herby,? you know about how to remove icons from desktop and remain using it <I'm a moron>, I make in this manner: after I have installaled several programs <e.g. after clean install> then my primary desktop is replete of icons I don't like this behavior because I think what it ugly my wallpaper then I drag all icons to Quick Launch and resize Taskbar for achieve one larger size, after I open Windows Explorer create one folder named as All Icons Unused in My Documents and after I click on first item <Desktop> select all icons and move to folder All Icons Unused and so for all news programs what create icons on install, but I think this changes request more memory usage then I recommend for someone people what attempt make this changes only if? have at least 256MB RAM for avoid problems or slow behaviors and disable also Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days for gain one bit of memory LOL; as result in my opinion is one desktop absolutely clean look my sig again and verify?  what you think about gu:p :p

True, I don't like to much Icons on my Desktop either.

Thats why I removed the Text, it looks alot cleaner..:p :p

Hey! wtf... my Photobucket Account is gone!:angry:ry:

[EDIT] Found another Picture Host:D :D [/EDIT]

This is my solution:

SM1.jpg

Edited by Herby

There's a slightly easier way.  You can also rename the icon and type Alt+255.  For each consecutive icon, adding another Alt+255.

Yes, that's an age old solution. And it doesn't work too well if you have 50+ icons. You end of with two lines of "nothing's" (alt+255's) and half your icons get covered up :(

However this new solution is incredible. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Edited by fr3ak

Uhm... what can I do about the recycle bin? It doesn't delete, it'll just have to sit there.

Maybe just one alt+255 will be ok :D

Edit: Maybe not. You can't rename it.

Uhm... what can I do about the recycle bin? It doesn't delete, it'll just have to sit there.

Sorry,.. forgot to post the separate reg files. :blush:

This zip file contains reg files to add / remove My Computer, My Network Places, My Documents, the Recycle Bin & Internet Explorer separately.

If you don't want the Recycle Bin on your Desktop, just import "Remove Recycle Bin.reg" & he's gone. :D

SepReg.zip

Is there any way I can change the enhanced context menus for the My Documents icons and others. My Pictures on my computer is under [D:\`My Documents\My Pictures\]. And so is the Music and Video extensions aswell. I can see in the [Add 'em.reg] there is some sort of Hex coding to enable this function but how can I change it to suit my needs.

By the way awesome tweak.

Duh.. I just realized that u are using the "old" ones,.. (they required directories)

Try using the new ones,..(on this page) the Recycle Bin works now. :D

Edited by Herby

Is there any way I can change the enhanced context menus for the My Documents icons and others. My Pictures on my computer is under [D:\`My Documents\My Pictures\]. And so is the Music and Video extensions aswell. I can see in the [Add 'em.reg] there is some sort of Hex coding to enable this function but how can I change it to suit my needs.

By the way awesome tweak.

For the new "Desktop Icons without Text" (with the Enhanced Context Menus) I've created a new thread.

Please post questions about them there. -> Link to new thread

It's easier to edit them in the Registry,.. go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-5002-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell] , you'll find them in the "Command" Keys. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shutdown.jpg

Is there a way to remove the create shortcut button?

Also how do you change the bold text for example in this picture Shutdown. I want to make a custom one for myself and I know of to edit the rest except the top bold one.

Edited by nissmo300

Shutdown.jpg

Is there a way to remove the create shortcut button?

Also how do you change the bold text for example in this picture Shutdown. I want to make a custom one for myself and I know of to edit the rest except the top bold one.

584867324[/snapback]

I don't know how to remove the create shortcut command. :(

I tried to remove it but nothing works.

The top bold one you can edit in [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell\Open].

Everything you put in the Open part will be the top bold one (the default).

btw: this is the wrong forum, see Post #61. :p

what about changing internet short cuts on desktop so that they have no name.. possible?  alt 255 can only work for one of course...  any clues?

584876914[/snapback]

Have a look in the other thread (first link in my sig)... :D

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

Icons without text is really cool even i want to try it and i got all your zip file downloaded but the only thing is that i am not able to undestand :( how to use them please help me in useing that zip files :unsure:

hi,

Icons without text is really cool even i want to try it and i got all your zip file downloaded but the only thing is that i am not able to undestand :(  how to use them please help me in useing that zip files  :unsure:

584923399[/snapback]

This is the old thread (see the red part @ Post #1).

Download the first zip file from the new thread and import the add.....reg files that you want to use. (double click and push the yes button).

Now refresh your desktop (right click your desktop and select refresh).

To remove them, import the remove.....reg files.

If you have questions, please read the thread first and when you don't find an answer, you can post your questions there. :)

[/Herby]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I got this to work but what if I want to keep making folder with no names. Is there a pattern you can repeat to make more and more with no name????

So say I use "00020801-0000-0000-C000-000000000046" to make my folder text, nothing. What do I do to make my next folders text nothing?

ok, herby

i still have the annoying problem of

i add a one of your regkeys but they don't follow the icon set i have set, (food's via tuneup04)

recycle bin works, ie doesn't (u can add it via right click + desktop and you get the iconed one but with text) and your's is no text but it's the ie blue one, this is the same for control panel, except of course you can't add it via the desktop - it's no name but doesn't follow the iconed thing

help? my computer + my documents also follow ie's behaviour

thank you