What should I do with my Windows 95 Computer?

Ever since I upgraded from my old Windows 95 computer to my current Windows XP computer, I have been wondering what to do with it.

I used that computer for seven whole years, without any upgrades (yes, I did try upgrading it, but it always resulted in an useless computer which required fixing). That computer is now slowly falling apart, with none of the removable drives (3.5 inch floppy drive and a CD-ROM drive) working properly. That computer is really slow (6GB of hard disk space, 32MB of RAM, no networking - don't laugh :crazy: ), and it is near-unusable by today's standards. Yet, it contains a lot of files accumulatedfrom years of use, many of which I want to keep. Yet, that computer is half-dead, creaky, slow, and cut-off from the outside world. I can't transfer the data from that computer to another computer, nor can I put any data into that computer. I'm afraid that taking out the hard drive will damage the data inside, because that computer is so old. I wnat to junk it, but that would also be saying bye-bye to all the data I accumulated inside. Also, when I brought up this suggestion to my mother, she sneered back at me, saying that the computer is still usable (it's not :crazy: - she just loves things to stay the same forever). I'm now confused at what to do with it.

Any suggestions?

take out the hard drive, hook it up to your new PC, copy all the files. then throw it out

edit: it wont damage anything as long as you dont touch the crcuit board

No no no!

See, I have an old computer (not under warranty), and it contains a lot of data that I want to get into my new computer, but my new computer is under warranty, and if I modify it in any way, the warranty will be voided.

I believe there is a way to get the data out of my old computer...

do what i said.... so what if its under warrenty? no one will no (besides us) and its not gonna break any warrenty rules anyways... they have to let u upgrade stuff like that

No no no!

See, I have an old computer (not under warranty), and it contains a lot of data that I want to get into my new computer, but my new computer is under warranty, and if I modify it in any way, the warranty will be voided.

I believe there is a way to get the data out of my old computer...

install a cd-rw drive in the old computer(about $20) then burn the data to cd(although the drive may not work with 95)

you could also try an external harddrive or something like that

or you could get Winrar(google it) and make all the data floopy sized and transport it that way

Don't waste money on extra hardware. Would your warranty actually be voided if you added hardware? I own an old Gateway and we never got in trouble for adding hardware. If they strictly enforced this no hardware change rule, they couldn't have extra drive bays in their cases. Blah blah blah just put the old drive in your new comp.

wow thats like the speed of like 5 computers ago for me. throw it out a 2 story window. i did that with my monitor. it was fun.

Happens that I live on the second floor of my apartment building.

Except that if you throw anything out of the window, the police will come and take you away ;) .

Don't waste money on extra hardware. Would your warranty actually be voided if you added hardware? I own an old Gateway and we never got in trouble for adding hardware. If they strictly enforced this no hardware change rule, they couldn't have extra drive bays in their cases. Blah blah blah just put the old drive in your new comp.

Another thing I fear: viruses and bad hardware configuration.

tie it to your car and drag it around a few industrial estates :D

No cars. Bicycles?

And it happens that I have "a few industrial estates" near my home.

I suggest you call the company you bought your new computer from and ask them personally if it voids your warranty, Im sure they wont mind you installing a 2nd hard drive in your new pc to get your old data. Thats your best and easiest option. Just make it a slave drive on your new pc, and you should be good to go ;)

I already told you guys - put anything after 1997 into the computer, and it clonks out. The only thing that is after 1997 and has not clonked it out completely is Internet Explorer 5.0.

Hmmm... will a null data cable work?

Yes I suggest using a null modem connection or installing a NIC in the machine.

The null modem would be the slowest of the two but you don't have to change any hardware.

You could always take the hard drive out, slave it, and put it in your new PC and copy the files over. I have done this tons of times and there are no problems whatsoever.