What should I do with my Windows 95 Computer?

take out the hard drive, hook it up to your new PC, copy all the files. then throw it out

edit: it wont damage anything as long as you dont touch the crcuit board

I'm going to quote this one again as it is the easiest, best and fastest method mentioned. Don't waste a single dime on the old machine. Just doesn't make sense.

I can't believe all the other lame suggestions I'm reading here! :no:

I would use it for testing purposes. Taking it apart. Practicing your moding skills. Things that you wouldn't want to do with your new computer.

LOL at the suggestions like throwing the PC out the window, etc.

It literally had me laughing.

Anyway, just take out the HD and put it on your new machine, or else install a NIC on your old machine and then network them together.

1.) Put a cd-r into the computer, backup

2.) Put old hd into new computer, backup & keep old hd, as junk slave

3.) Give someone old hd, let them back it up on cd-r

4.) Forget it & trash all

Those are your only possible options.

i sure hate people who still use win95 or 98, i mean i get calls every day from people with 98 trying to get online, and guess what....98 sucks at networking, half the time if the Winsock2 is not corupted then the stupid thing wont renew its ip by itself

Here's an idea. Install MAME (Multiple arcade machine emulator) on the old computer and use it as a games machine. This program will run fine on even the slowest computer and the games are good if you like the arcade-style games.

Some folks make a project out of it and stick the computer/monitor etc into a case that looks like a real arcade machine, but you dont have to go that far.

1.) Put a cd-r into the computer, backup

2.) Put old hd into new computer, backup & keep old hd, as junk slave

3.) Give someone old hd, let them back it up on cd-r

4.) Forget it & trash all

Those are your only possible options.

exactly what he said :yes:

I am guessing your new computer has a cd-burner. So if your worried about actually moving the hard drive, take the cd burner from the new computer and put it in the old computer, and then start the computer with the Norton Ghost Cd in the CD Burner (Norton Ghost is a useful piece of software to have either way, for imaging your hdd). With ghost you can burn an image of your drive onto some blank cds. Put em into your new computer and dump the image onto your hdd (im not sure if you need to repartition it).

But really just move the hard drive from the old computer into the new computer. It will only void your warranty if they specifically say that you cant do this, or if they put stickers over the screws or whatever to open the case.

After that take the top off the old computer and dump some dirt in there. Then put a plant in there. :D

Edited by Furrybeagle

Windows 95 probably won't support much hardware...

But it will certainly support a Parallel Zip Drive, and so will your new pc.

Just connect one to your old computer, pass the data to Zip disks, connect the zip drive to the new computer, pass the data to that computer and you're set! Or you could do this with an old paralel CD-Burner, if you can't connect one through IDE.

This is what I did with an old 486 computer, i connected my old-and-slow-but-still-working HP 7200e external paralel cd burner ;)

Don't throw it away!

Upgrade memory and HDD to the maximum amount allowed by the BIOS. Tweak Windows and DOS to gain maximum conventional memory and stability.

Then run some old DOS and Win95-only games from my thread. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...