Up-to-data Java book

Question

Hi,

I'm looking for a really decent Java book with lots of examples etc. Has anyone got any suggestions as I hate spending money on books that aren't any good. I want to get a good book that I will use as a reference..I want a staying power book!

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Thanks people. I've been looking on amazon at those books and came across this book "Beginning Java 2: SDK 1.4 Edition" by I Horton. Does anyone know if this is any good??? It seems to have everything in it that you would need as a reference and its not too expensive...it retails at ?25.89 (UK price).

I'm currently using Java Software Solutions by Lewis and Loftus, it's kinda good, but the author blabs on about cars and stuff for pages just to get some point accross.

I can recomend the one I have, it's from Deitel & Deitel, "Java how to program", it's a good reference for me.. :cool:

I second that one :yes: I've had a few Java classes in my life, each with a different book, and that one has served me the best. Plus, the little flies are really cute :blink:

I'm currently using Java Software Solutions by Lewis and Loftus, it's kinda good, but the author blabs on about cars and stuff for pages just to get some point accross.

I used that one too... And I agree with you. The author goes off on tangents quite often and he repeatedly uses really stupid examples. Didn't like it much :)

I Horton's Beginning Java 2 is not bad.. Pretty decent stuff, with in depth coverage of most topics (Swing, Threading, data structures). I don't have the latest copy of the book, so I'm not sure if it has degraded in quality, but I think it unlikely.

Thanks people. I've been looking on amazon at those books and came across this book "Beginning Java 2: SDK 1.4 Edition" by I Horton. Does anyone know if this is any good??? It seems to have everything in it that you would need as a reference and its not too expensive...it retails at ?25.89 (UK price).

Yeah I've got version 1.3 of that book and its really good, helped me through some Java programming at uni a few years ago. Its well laid out, lots of examples, and covers a wide range of practical topics:))

I'd get it if you're looking to get a really good grounding in Java