• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

how often do u back up your computer?

Ryan V    1

Never. Because as mentioned before, I store all other critical data on my seconday hard drive.

CoLdFuSi0n    21

Never.

after fallout    0

different schedules for each of my computers:

daily: one in scalehouse

sometimes(when I feel like it): office, mine

never(but I do reformat every 6 months or so): family

+warwagon    13,102

Every Morning starting at 9am using a program called backup magic my computer does a mirror backup which deletes / adds / updates anything that has been changed or has been removedf on this computer to a hard drive on my server ... and all the important stuff like ,setup files and mp3s on my server is backed up to drive I on this computer. backups include

backup magic files 9:27am

whereisit catalog file 9:00am

Favorites 9:05am

Ant Movie catlaog file 9:45am

Mp3's 9:29am

Phoebook 9:50am

Pictures 9:07 am

Quicklaunch bar 9:12am

setupfiles 9:16am

Tasks 9:25am

Tech files (where I save anything important that i want automaticly to get backed up) 9:14am

Trillian Chat logs 9:40am

and Ydock 9:55am

+warwagon    13,102
Never. Because as mentioned before, I store all other critical data on my seconday hard drive.

but what if that sencondary drive dies?

Ryan V    1
but what if that sencondary drive dies?

Well that true, a risk I'm willing to take. But the same could also be said about backing up to CD's and DVD's. If they get scratched or dirty then they are almost useless to.

CubanPete    0

ok what you should do is think about how improtant the data is to you and how often you change the data?

In a standard company it wouldnt surprise me if they did it every evening for a week then saved one of them copys for a month and possibly another for a year each week.

You probably wouldn't need anything like that but if you leave your pc on 24/7 theres probably nothing to lose by doing that.

Otherwise i'd probably suggest a standard backup at the beginning of the month and then incremental ones, once a week for the rest of the month.

+warwagon    13,102
Well that true, a risk I'm willing to take. But the same could also be said about backing up to CD's and DVD's. If they get scratched or dirty then they are almost useless to.

no not really, backing up to cd and dvd ... is having info in to spots at once, 1 on the cd dvd drive and 1 on your HD, as far as the cd's getting scratched, you wouldn't be using them to get them scratched because they would be in a VERY safe place to be used as means for your backup ....but in your case you only have your information in 1 place and only 1 place.

Yuxi    2

Important stuff - once every 2-3 days, regular documents - once a week. :)

Neuroticia    0

Backing up to CD does not mean deleting from your hard drive. It's mostly a copy of your data on a temporary media in case something catastrophic happens to your hard drive. Hard drives are magnetic media with moving parts, and are much more succeptible to damage than are... Say.. CDs in a CD case in a safe place.

CDs are much more durable than Floppies in a lot of ways--floppies? Magnet? Poof!

Banzai    0

Whenever i think about it so about once a month

amdphr3@kXP    0

I usually do a full ghost backup to DVD once per week...and important stuff once a day

l77Il7H    0

i never backup my data before. i just stick them in another partition.

Biohazord    0

I only backup stuff I really need to keep eaither to a cd or another network drive.

/me wonders how many dvds I would need to back up my 160gb harddrive with norton ghost?

Bearded Kirklander    0

I use Ghost to make big archive backups but also drag/drop the My Documents to the backup drive every few days usually. Basically though, I usually backup my data only after I make some significant changes to that data. No use in dragging and dropping daily if I didn't change anything notable.

Norton Ghost is awesome for archiving my OS partition, and thankfully, I have a DVD-RW drive and can backup other stuff pretty easily.

bdsams    365

about once an hr :blink:

revvo    21

for I do not trust hard drives, I backup my stuff on cd's. Sure u burn a lot but at least u know the data's staying there unless u take a screwdriver, put pressure and make a nice line on the back of ur cd, then thats your problem

ChicoCahill    0

never

gwai lo    0

I back up things every couple of months..and it's just important downloads....documents...stuff that costs money...etc..etc...cd keys go own email severs...everything else just goes onto a second hard drive.

null_    4

Every weekend. :)

Aladdin    0
i never backup my computer until minutes before im about to format my c drive then i just copy over favorites and stuff to one of my other 3 hard drives.

same thing here.. ;)

+ncoday    432

About once a week; though also backup to second physical HD too!

Chouzan    1

I take registry snapshots before the installation of every application and periodically backup core files.

DOGglee    0

i usually don't do any backups :D

Redmak    353

Never :)