how often do u back up your computer?

I don't need to backup.

Luck is on my side. :cool:

Hmm what's this noise ?? :blink:

all i backup is mydocs, favourites, savedgames, reg files, and downloads. i don't waste time backing up a whole drive, afterall xp don't take long to install and if you know what your doing then the chances are you won't to image ya hdd every sec,min,hr,etc :p your os is your friend.

I take registry snapshots before the installation of every application and periodically backup core files.

What method do you use to backup your registry for later recall? Just curious. :)

Thanks.

What method do you use to backup your registry for later recall?  Just curious. :)

Thanks.

I use a small application titled Regshot, it logs all keys/values that were deleted, added, or modified.

I backup my hard drive 0 times a year. Since I never confront errors or big problems with my pc, I don't need to back it up. Even if something tragic happens, formatting isn't an issue for me.

I tend to do a drive image (with powerquest drive image 2002) about 2 times a mont, or before installing anything I really think might break windows. I have one drive for windows, and 3 data drives where I tend to install games and save all my important files.

Never had a problem where there would be a reason for me to do so, but better safe than sorry. Even if my computer was perfect, I am not. If I accidentaly delete something, I have a backup to fall back on.

I made a backup batch file that will (oh well I better say, should) backup my personal data in My Documents and my Application Data for program settings, every friday at 8.00 pm to another partition (J:). I burn to DVD about every month depending on how much I add or change files.

I just keep a separate partition for all my files. And burn them as i see fit.

That is one reason I most always recommend that people have a second physical hard drive in their system and use Norton Ghost as well as copying files back and forth to backup.

I have a folder called FILES on Drive D: where I put all the drivers, patches, stuff like that. I have a folder called BACKUP where I backup My Documents, etc. and that is also where I store a copy of GHOST.EXE. So it goes like:

D:\Backup\My Documents

D:\Backup\Favorites

D:\Backup\Fonts

Stuff like that. Then in the main D:\Backup folder, I have GHOST.EXE and that is also where I store the GHOST archive files that I make using Local Partition To Image (which is my C:\ boot drive partition - usually 20 gigs). Ghost only backs up used space, not the whole 20 gig, so that is space efficient and it can be restored to any size partition should I either resize the 20 gig or put a new drive in. I just use the Local Partition From Image command.

Once every now and then I burn the BACKUP folder and FILES folder to DVD-RW and put it in the file cabinet. Works pretty well. Plus, todays hard drives are so fast, copying back and forth and then burning to DVD-RW is nearly effortless compared to the old days with tape drives. :)

I have a folder called FILES on Drive D: where I put all the drivers, patches, stuff like that.

Explain me please, why should anybody waste disk space for drivers? There are new drivers coming out pretty often so, why bother?

Explain me please, why should anybody waste disk space for drivers? There are new drivers coming out pretty often so, why bother?

So when I'm rebuilding or reinstalling, I just point to drive D: instead of shuffling CD's with things like Printer Drivers, Video Card Drivers, Motherboard Drivers, Sound Card Drivers, Monitor Drivers, Mouse Drivers, etc. I download and keep the latest drivers on the D: drive so I can quickly and easily get at them. I also keep patches for software apps, games and the OS too. I keep there the latest downloaded apps too, like Irfanview and the plug-ins, My IE 2, Electronic Dictionary, Music Match, Edit Pad, stuff like that. It seems to work really well for me and it makes backing up to DVD-RW easier, what with things all being in the same place and all.

I could backup my stuff on CDs, but I don't for two reasons:

1) They scratch easily

2) I hear that they deteriorate after two years. In a magazene they did a test on the integrity of the burned CD at various times and found that a great amount of deterioration occurs after two years.

I could backup my stuff on CDs, but I don't for two reasons:

1) They scratch easily

2) I hear that they deteriorate after two years. In a magazene they did a test on the integrity of the burned CD at various times and found that a great amount of deterioration occurs after two years.

High quality media is key in many situations. Verbatim and TDK are two of the more highly regarded media companies and their products have been tested quite well. I have had trouble with CompUSA, Memorex and Fuji (early on) but Imation, TDK and Verbatim have held up very well indeed. I have CD's well over 5 years old that still work great, even after years of use. The ones that did not hold up well in particular were the Generic and CompUSA brands, at least for me.

It may be worth it to try again. Media has improved, and as for scratching, if you store your disks in an ultra-thin jewel case, they take up very little room and are protected from scratching. After all, you pretty much just store the backups and don't use them daily, right?

Good luck with the backups.