IE, New Version?

I dunno, but I remember when IE 6 came out!!!, that baby blue e was a much needed breath of new computer life......Im sure many people won't agree with that, but I hope IE 7 comes soon.

Things could have changed since I last did some reading but I believe MS only plan to release new versions of Internet Explorer with operating systems - i.e. Longhorn. In between, only security fixes will be released.

Unless there has been a change in plan as hinted at by the rehiring of the IE team recently?

Right now, I'd say it's all up in the air. Originally they planned to only release new IE's with a new OS and you would need the OS to get the new browser. However, with the hiring back of the IE team, at stated above, this could very well be in the process of changing. Only time will tell.

Well when sp2 comes out then it wont be a new version. Will none xp users be able to get sp2 for internet explorer?

It will be a new revision, not a new version.

I remember hearing about a year and a half ago that IE.net was in development, but then microsoft shut down IE development, So I'm not really sure what's going on.

I really don't know when it's going to come out. I'd have to guess with Longhorn, but then again, why would you want Internet Explorer for any reason?? :huh:

IMO IE is dieing and it will eventually fall off the market of interest unless they implement some new features that rival broswers have like the ability to pause and resume downloads, skins, etc.

Hence why i love Firefox.

yes i agree IE needs the following features or it will fail to newer browsers that handle all of these:

changing the window shape to a triangle with a hotkey ctrl+t

have a grid with different dots, and when the dots are arranged in a certain order have different commands execute

skinning support

ability to move the title bar to the side of the window

hotkey ctrl+i to invert all the colors in the webpage

mouse gestures

i hope they make a new IE... im not all w/ the firefox thing... i have it installed use it a few times but i still choose IE over it....

yeah, same here. I'm using firefox now but only because IE has too many holes. I think I'll still use firefox until IE has a download manager though.

It's good that Microsoft is giving IE a pop-up blocker in SP2, but they really should have given it new features while they where at it. As soon as Microsoft add a download manager, pop-up blocker, and fix all it's holes - and then release it on their website - IE's popularity will shoot back up again. Thats my opinion anyway.

firefox is buggy with it's css. i also don't like how alot of sites just don't work right in it from either web developer error or no activex support.

trying to make an items opacity change overtime to make a fadein effect doesn't work in firefox, it doesn't repaint the elements fast enough. also the lack of cursor:hand sucks. font sizes are also smaller when using relative font sizing vs. IE's, so things like drop caps look smaller on firefox then IE.

on the other hand i would love to see ie updated to use event model specified by w3c, it's about the only thing i've run into so far that needs to be if checked when using event objects. but IE's event object makes more sense toElement and srcElement make more sense vs. target and relatedTarget.

in a perfect world all of w3c wouldbe supported by both but it's not.

al in all IE is by far the most powerful and feature rich browser and i love it. ActiveX is a godsend for true programmers who need great functionality in there products. java just doesn't cut it.

Yeah, but ActiveX is so horribly insecure, and it forces your clients to use only one browser on only one operating system.

Not everyone likes to use Internet Explorer on Windows, give your users a choice trolane.

IE badly needs a lot of help.

There are way too many security flaws in Internet Explorer. By default, Internet Explorer will allow tons of spyware, and on occassion, viruses, to install themselves on your computer without your knowledge. That is just one of my complaints with IE.

Another one is the fact that it still does not have a popup manager, though I do believe they have incorporated one into the Longhorn version.

Internet Explorer is NOT compliant with W3C standards which is a reason why some sites can display in IE but not in Mozilla/Firefox. What a pain in the ass it is to code a web page...just because it looks right in Mozilla doesn't mean it appears right in IE...believe me, I know.

Not to mention, any operating system that has an embedded web browser as its core file navigation tool has something wrong with it.

The Windows 95 shell was fast, clean, and simple...much more efficient than later versions when Internet Explorer became integrated into the shell.

In my opinion, Microsoft needs to do two things:

1) Remove Internet Explorer from the Windows shell

2) Completely re-write IE or scrap it altogether.

IE badly needs tabbed browsing.

There are so many IE front ends that have tabbing, aliases, popup killers, skinning support, etc... that it's not even funny. MyIE2 (now called maxthon), AvantBrowser just to name a few. Check them out.