what will be the final name of Longhorn?

Since MSFT is once again steping away from alphabetica version names and going only numbers, I bet it will just be Windows 2006 Home/Pro/MCE/Server

585212383[/snapback]

and Tablet

I heard longhorn may only be usable for 64-bit users in the end. If thats the case i'm sure it would be named something to do with 64-bits.

Windows NG (Next Generation) is what I like.

I can see it now. "Microsoft Windows NG, bringing you the next generation in computing!"

I think it will be called..."Just another few hundred dollars down the drain in order to keep up with technology and have your computer slowly taken over by MSFT while still being able to talk to the other 90% of computers in the world!"

I think thta has a nice ring to it!

Maybe we should ask one of these hotties who probably run into the Longhorn project geeks on a daily basis at the Longhorn Saloon.

Welcome to Whistler

LeadGirls.JPG

Codenamed - Everett - Visual Studio .NET 2003 - Everett is a city north of Seattle.

Codenamed - Whidbey - Visual Studio 2005 - Whidbey is an island north of Seattle, which is nearer to Everett.

Codenamed - Orcas - Visual Studio 20XX - Orcas is an island in the San Juan group of islands even further north of Seattle.

Codenamed - Longhorn - Next version of Windows - Longhorn is a bar close to Whistler and Blackcomb ski resorts.

Codename Product Derivation

DEVELOPMENT TOOLS

Thunder Visual Basic

Boston Visual Studio 97

Blackbird Internet Studio, a development environment for MSN which eventualy became Visual InterDev.

Aspen Visual Studio 98 (6.0) Ski resort in Colorado.

Jakarta Visual J++ 6.0 Capital of Indonesia, located on the island of Java.

Cool C# Short for ‘C-based Object-Oriented Language’.

Rainier Visual Studio .NET Mount Rainier is a dormant volcano south of Seattle.

Everett Visual Studio .NET 2003 Town north of Seattle.

Whidbey Visual Studio .NET 2005 Island north of Seattle.

Whitehorse Design tools supplied with Visual Studio .NET 2005 Capital of Yukon Territory in Canada which became famous during the Klondike Gold Rush.

Burton Visual Studio 2005 Team System Unknown, although it is the name of a North American manufacturer of snowboards.

Orcas Successor to VS.NET 2005 for developing ‘Longhorn’ applications Island north of Whidbey.

OPERATING SYSTEMS

Janus Windows 3.1

Sparta Windows for Workgroups 3.1

Snowball Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Daytona Windows NT 3.5

Cairo Collected technologies that may eventually come to fruition in Longhorn. Capital of Egypt on the river Nile.

Impala Windows NT4 Embedded

Chicago Windows 95 The windy city.

Nashville Internet Explorer 4 Desktop Update for Windows 95 The home of country music, in Tennessee.

Memphis Windows 98 City in Tennessee.

Whistler Windows XP Mountain in Canadian ski resort around four hours drive north of Seattle. (The ‘XP’ stands for eXPerience.)

Lonestar Tablet PC 2004

Longhorn Successor to Windows XP

Indigo Communication services in ‘Longhorn’

Avalon Display services used by ‘Longhorn’

Blackcomb Forthcoming server-side version of Longhorn Another mountain in the Whistler-Blackcomb ski resort.

BACKEND SERVERS

Sphinx SQL Server 7.0 Mythical creature famous for asking riddles.

Plato SQL Server 7.0 OLAP Services One of the greatest analytical thinkers in ancient Greece and pupil to Socrates.

Shiloh SQL Server 2000 Location of major Civil War battle in Tennessee.

Liberty SQL Server 2000 64-bit

Aurum SQL Server 2000 data mining features Latin word for gold.

Yukon SQL Server 2005 Yukon Territory in Canada, capital city Whitehorse.

Osmium Exchange Server 5.5 One of the Platinum group of elements and the most dense metal known. Atomic number 77 in the Periodic table.

Platinum Exchange 2002 Silvery-white metal often used in jewellery. Atomic number 78 in the Periodic table.

Titanium Exchange 2003 As strong as steel but half the weight. Atomic Number 22 in the Periodic table.

Kodiak Successor to Exchange 2003 Island in the Gulf of Alaska.

Falcon Message Queue Server (MSMQ)

Viper Transaction Server 2.0

Tahoe SharePoint Server 2001 A lake resort between California and Nevada.

Hydra Windows NT Terminal Services Multi-headed dragon-like creature from Greek mythology.

Babylon Host Integration Server 2000

Cedar COM Transaction Integrator for CICS and IMS (COMTI)

Wolfpack Cluster Server

Vienna Office Live Communication Server 2005 Capital of Austria.

Hermes System Management Server

MOBILE PLATFORMS

Pegasus Windows CE 1.0

Cedar Windows CE 3.0

Merlin Pocket PC 2002

Stinger Smartphone 2002

Starlite .NET Compact Framework 1.0

Talisker Windows CE .NET The only whisky distillery on the Isle of Skye.

MISCELLANEOUS

Cirrus Access 1.0

Athena Outlook Express

Hailstorm .NET My Services

Nile OLE DB River in Africa

Kajera OLE DB provider for ODBC River that, like the Nile, flows from Lake Victoria.

Trident Dynamic HTML

Denali Active Server Pages Denali National Park in Alaska contains North America’s highest mountain.

Springboard Microsoft’s security project which will result in Office 2003 SP1, Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 SP1

Palladium A forthcoming secure run-time environment called Next Generation Secure Computing Base (NGSCB) Silvery-white metal in the Platinum group. Atomic Number 46 in the Periodic Table.

Xenon Successor to the Xbox

Edited by cropcircles

Microsoft Windows 2006

OR

Microsoft Windows 6.0 (then they cud do what they do with Macs and increment the version)

OR

Microsoft Windows XP 2006

OR

Microsoft Windows RH (Resource Hungry!)