what will be the final name of Longhorn?

I want them to call it "Sharon 50" or "Windows Magicist" or even better "We're still really sorry about Millenium, we SWEAR we'll never make that mistake again:###### Edition"

I thought it was going to be called "Windows Enhanced XP Edition"?

Because it was going to be pronounced Windows E-XPedition (expedition)

...or was this a joke or something?

I still think it is going to be called Windows 2006. Nothing else in my mind sounds right, except maybe Windows.NET and since they are trying to get away from the whole .NET thing, that isn't going to happen.

I just realised, most pieces of software that are released near/at the end of a year usually have the next year after the name, and given that Longhorn will be coming out near the end of next year, I have the feeling that if anything MS will call it Windows 2007. Just a thought ;) .

Also, I think I saw a while ago a representative of MS spoke on a forum saying that MS will not deviate from the Windows name because it is a registered trademark.

I think microsoft should move away from calling it "windows" this, I would like something new like

Microsoft Desktop System 2006

585973893[/snapback]

I like that, then we would have Microsoft Server System and Desktop system. It makes alot of sense, to me at least.

I just realised, most pieces of software that are released near/at the end of a year usually have the next year after the name, and given that Longhorn will be coming out near the end of next year, I have the feeling that if anything MS will call it Windows 2007.  Just a thought  ;) .

Also, I think I saw a while ago a representative of MS spoke on a forum saying that MS will not deviate from the Windows name because it is a registered trademark.

585974423[/snapback]

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think you are right on two points. Releasing software at the end of the year with that years date will soon make it seem old. So, Windows 2007 would be more logical that 2006.

Second, Microsoft is the Company, WINDOWS is the BRAND NAME.

Also, business does not care what it's called, the board room never see it. It's just do they have to have it, and, if so, will it make the workers more productive. Also they have Enterprise agreements, don't they? So, there is a logical progression of upgrading.

needpics.gif

.net is dead its nothing more than a passport systyem and visual studio ... sorry for my mistrs i just had sergery on my eyes

Windows FL (**** Linux)

Windows HE (Hacked Edition)

::woops:: that's the edition I'll be using :p

Windows CTMM (Costs Too Much Money)

Windows MGR (Microsoft Getting Reacher)

Windows EYCA (Eats Your CPU Away)

Windows BG (Bill Gates)

Windows VMB (Very Much Bloated)

Windows LGSA (Lets Get Sued Again) :)

More?

Microsoft XENIX The Future of Unix Edition :rofl:

All of Microsoft's existing system software (COBOL, PASCAL, BASIC and DBMS) will be adapted to run under the XENIX system, and all existing software written for UNIX OS will be compatible as well.

.net is dead its nothing more than a passport systyem and visual studio ... sorry for my mistrs i just had sergery on my eyes

585979997[/snapback]

---------

I don't think it is '.net is dead' in-so-much as no one knows what it is. Like XAML. And you need about 25 meg of net framework installed also...

Long live Borland Delphi - and Pack it!

I heard they can't change millions of lines of code... so we go from Windows 95..

Longhorn will be :- Machine code, C, C++, and the GUI in C# .net. Something like that. Windows XP is only Windows NT anyway.

I have an old PC that has Win 98 upgraded to ME and that says it is :- Windows Version 4.90.

I have a newer PC with Windows XP and that says it is :- Windows NT Version 5.1

***Therefore 'Longhorn' will be WINDOWS NT VERSION 6.0

Pig's Bum..

It's the 50 million retail boxes sitting on the shelves that people see... and need to be moved as soon as possible...

So, you need WOW..COOL.. from the great unwashed..

Windows - Return of the Jedi Multimedia Center X

My money's on Windows 2006 (or whatever year MS decides to release it) because...

Office 98

Office 2000

Office XP

Office 2003

...so...

Windows 98

Windows 2000

Windows XP

...and Windows 2006.

:ninja: