what will be the final name of Longhorn?

I can tell you all now, Bill Gates himself has said that windows (codenamed) Longhorn will be the operating system for the next 10 years.

With this is mind.

* It is codenamed Longhorn, so obviously the codename "Longhorn," will not be included in the final name.

* It will not include a numerical date value such as Windows XXX 2006.

* Also it is touted by Microsoft as the next huge personal computer stepping stone, so evidently it will not have XP in it. I mean Windows XP quite a step up from Windows 2000 which is why they didn't call it Windows 2002.

* From what I have observed so far these names are most on the forefront of reality;

~~~ Windows.NET

~~~ Windows {XXX} {XXX} = Put small catchy acronym here.

I hope this helps guys! :)

i dont know if any one has said this yet but

how about they call longhorn windows 360

as ms seem to be adding 360 to most new things they do.

xbox 360

security 360 etc...

I can tell you all now, Bill Gates himself has said that windows (codenamed) Longhorn will be the operating system for the next 10 years.

With this is mind.

* It is codenamed Longhorn, so obviously the codename "Longhorn," will not be included in the final name.

* It will not include a numerical date value such as Windows XXX 2006.

* Also it is touted by Microsoft as the next huge personal computer stepping stone, so evidently it will not have XP in it. I mean Windows XP quite a step up from Windows 2000 which is why they didn't call it Windows 2002.

* From what I have observed so far these names are most on the forefront of reality;

~~~ Windows.NET

~~~ Windows {XXX}    {XXX} = Put small catchy acronym here.

I hope this helps guys! :)

586077629[/snapback]

Wake up. thats what they said with windows 2000.

ms will bring a new operating system every 5 years, just to cash in :sleep:

Longhorn is just windows NT 6.0 with a .NET layer and some nifty futures thats it, MS wont trash the NT code.

Meh, I like RG.

LH is a bit catchy though.

Let me put all of your minds to rest!

I have an inside scoop from Microsoft that it will be....

*drumroll*

Windows GX

I don't know...i agree with everyone else that says Longhorn should stay, the extensive media coverage they have been plagued with knows it by Longhorn, they never say Windows codename Longhorn, they say Windows Longhorn, and plus did any of us hear as much media coverage, news and hype with Windows XP, which was codenamed Whistler. Nope we didnt, so the smartest move for them to be is to keep it longhorn, just my $0.02

I doubt it would be called 'Longhorn', since Bill Gates just ate at the Longhorn place and decided to call his company's new OS exactly that. It's a personal thing to Bill, not Microsoft.. and everyone knows where it came from.

Since MS's going to have tough competition from now on, they want to keep the name simple and catchy in order to attract people to it. Simplicity is the key..

I don't have the slightest clue as to what it would be called, but if I was naming it, I would go with Windows 6

What really drives me insane is when idiots try and tell me their PC problems and confuse Office and Windows.

"I bought Windows XP and I'm having trouble creating a word document"

Sir, you mean Office XP?

"No, I bought Windows XP and it installed Microsoft Word and Power Point."

For the love of God, please make the naming scheme different between Windows and Office.

windows 6 is such a beautiful name, if microsoft comes out with xt or e-exp or whatever im going to switch

585810593[/snapback]

yea i agree WindowsSIX (in letters) looks so sexy

Guys, I FIGURED IT OUT, based on this post in the Channel 9 forums, its

Windows NG (NG - Next Generation).

From Channel9

From public discussions that took place at Tech Ed 2004 two key pieces of public information have emerged. Some of the particulars aren't public but you can find this information regarding these 2 revelations online ? you just have to look really hard (FTPs wink wink).

1) Upper management and marketing officials were briefed back in November about the packaging and marketing campaign that would be coming with "Longhorn", then in February an official Windows name was chosen for "Longhorn". While the name and packaging (SKU's, etc) haven't been made public the name apparently fits the Windows nomenclature of Windows XXWith XX in this case being described as 2 letters that represent the 3rd Generation of Windows software and the high definition Technology experiences that are at the core of Longhorn. b>From all first hand accounts the name choice is final. Given that Microsoft has apparently begun to brief product teams on the name and the international versions of the documentation are beginning to be altered for the Beta 2 release. The name is being described as elegant, clean, and cool.

2) The Longhorn Client code base has apparently been delayed. While 6 internal platform milestones have been reached it is clear that certain aspects of Longhorn are delayed, or are significantly behind schedule and or do not meet quality metrics; all of which are requiring significant rework and additionally resources. It is unclear which SKU?s have been impacted but apparently the Longhorn mobile/embedded version and the Longhorn Media Center Edition SKU appear to be significantly impacted. And therefore are likely candidates to be released later than the Longhorn client version. At this point in time, it is unclear how the delay will effect the overall 2006 ship date and if Microsoft wants different Longhorn SKUs to be released at differing dates bridging 2006 and 2007, or if Microsoft will push the entire client launch into early 2007. It is unclear how this effects the Longhorn Server release date of 2007 but from what was discussed its more than likely that the Longhorn server edition will still be shipping in 2007.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=78170#78170

Guys, I FIGURED IT OUT, based on this post in the Channel 9 forums, its

Windows NG (NG - Next Generation).

From Channel9

From public discussions that took place at Tech Ed 2004 two key pieces of public information have emerged. Some of the particulars aren't public but you can find this information regarding these 2 revelations online ? you just have to look really hard (FTPs wink wink).

1) Upper management and marketing officials were briefed back in November about the packaging and marketing campaign that would be coming with "Longhorn", then in February an official Windows name was chosen for "Longhorn". While the name and packaging (SKU's, etc) haven't been made public the name apparently fits the Windows nomenclature of Windows XXWith XX in this case being described as 2 letters that represent the 3rd Generation of Windows software and the high definition Technology experiences that are at the core of Longhorn. b>From all first hand accounts the name choice is final. Given that Microsoft has apparently begun to brief product teams on the name and the international versions of the documentation are beginning to be altered for the Beta 2 release. The name is being described as elegant, clean, and cool.

2) The Longhorn Client code base has apparently been delayed. While 6 internal platform milestones have been reached it is clear that certain aspects of Longhorn are delayed, or are significantly behind schedule and or do not meet quality metrics; all of which are requiring significant rework and additionally resources. It is unclear which SKU?s have been impacted but apparently the Longhorn mobile/embedded version and the Longhorn Media Center Edition SKU appear to be significantly impacted. And therefore are likely candidates to be released later than the Longhorn client version. At this point in time, it is unclear how the delay will effect the overall 2006 ship date and if Microsoft wants different Longhorn SKUs to be released at differing dates bridging 2006 and 2007, or if Microsoft will push the entire client launch into early 2007. It is unclear how this effects the Longhorn Server release date of 2007 but from what was discussed its more than likely that the Longhorn server edition will still be shipping in 2007. 

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=78170#78170

586093373[/snapback]

could be windows 3G

but we all know microsoft will change the name if someone's finds out

Windows 3G? Hmmm...NetZero 3G --> Confusion?

Windows G3 --> Possible

Windows TG (Third Generation) --> another possibilty

Any 2 letters, two numbers, or a mix could stand for anything. The right ad campaign and MR (moron revolution) would work. Don't forget about hyphentated words either.

Windows WE (Windows-Luser Edition)

Windows AG (Another Cash-Cow)

Then you have words like the, an, a of and such which do not get a letter in any acronym (exception The, An, and A when they appear at the beginning).

Example: USA --> United States of America

could be windows 3G

but we all know microsoft will change the name if someone's finds out

586094182[/snapback]

The paragraph did not say anything about numerals, it said two "letters".

Windows 3G? Hmmm...NetZero 3G --> Confusion?

Windows G3 --> Possible

Windows TG (Third Generation) --> another possibilty

Any 2 letters, two numbers, or a mix could stand for anything. The right ad campaign and MR (moron revolution) would work. Don't forget about hyphentated words either.

Windows WE (Windows-Luser Edition)

Windows AG (Another Cash-Cow)

Then you have words like the, an, a of and such which do not get a letter in any acronym (exception The, An, and A when they appear at the beginning).

Windows G3

Windows 3G

Note again: The paragraph did not say anything about numerals, it said two "letters".

Windows TG - Please, they want people to buy the product, not get turned off.

For a long time I was thinking a name like Windows LS (lifestyle) or even Windows FS (futuristic system) would be the name.

On a different topic, why was Windows named Windows? Is there a story on why Bill Gates (or whoever) named this operating system Windows?