what will be the final name of Longhorn?

Hey Guys,

Microsoft Windows 2006 Professional Edition , it the real name from Microsoft,

:ninja:

:woot:

586095616[/snapback]

That's just so great I want to hump you!!! So original!!!

:uberhump:

Im hoping for Windows 2006....If not, then Windows 6.

586095658[/snapback]

knowing that it ships late in 2006....they will call it Windows 2007 for sure otherwise it will start sound rather old by the time WinFS ships. Also not using years in name makes sense. Imagine how would XP look in market today if they'd called it Windows 2001 ? :wacko:

For a long time I was thinking a name like Windows LS (lifestyle) or even Windows FS (futuristic system) would be the name.

On a different topic, why was Windows named Windows? Is there a story on why Bill  Gates (or whoever) named this operating system Windows?

586095547[/snapback]

Because information is presented in frames on the screen, resulting in the name Windows. Also, before Windows had overlapping windows, you displayed them tiled viewed, which sorta looked like windows.

On a different topic, why was Windows named Windows? Is there a story on why Bill Gates (or whoever) named this operating system Windows?

Because using it makes you wanna jump out one?

Seriously though it describes the proposed UI. Gates, Allen and the rest of the gang just couldn't think of anything clever to call it Windows was originally called Interface Manager and used Multiplan and Word-like pull-down menus and dialogs. With the release of VisiOn and the impending release of TopView, Microsoft needed something. Basically, they hyped something that wasn't finished ("it will do this and will have that") and needed a name.

knowing that it ships late in 2006....they will call it Windows 2007 for sure otherwise it will start sound rather old by the time WinFS ships.

How late does it have to be released for it to be 2007 and not 2006?

Win95 --> August

Win98 --> June

Not all that important but Windows 2000 and 2003 were released in Feb and Apr respectively.

It's wouldn't be the first time MS has released some type software late in the year and used the date it was released.

Edited by El_Cu_Guy

knowing that it ships late in 2006....they will call it Windows 2007 for sure otherwise it will start sound rather old by the time WinFS ships. Also not using years in name makes sense. Imagine  how would XP look in market today if they'd called it Windows 2001 ? :wacko:

586095672[/snapback]

thats what I would have assumed as well, but with Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005 both being released in November 2005 it doesn't seem to matter to MS what time of the year products are released anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

should be called windows 360. microsoft have called the new xbox xbox360. they also have some other things on there site that use the 360 in the title

security 360 for example.

windows 360 sounds good and it goes with what microsoft are trying to acheave with longhon.

they could always call it windows 5-O

should be called windows 360. microsoft have called the new xbox xbox360. they also have some other things on there site that use the 360 in the title

security 360 for example.

windows 360 sounds good and it goes with what microsoft are trying to acheave with longhon.

they could always call it windows 5-O

586142961[/snapback]

Then you will confuse a whole lot of people, especially old people not use to computers into thinking you need an xBox 360 to run Longhorn.

Its Windows NG (Next Generation), lets just accept it. The bad names will come: No Good, Not Great, No Gaaaad!!!, (No, Gross).

Windows NT7 or windows NTXP (new technology experience)

586148398[/snapback]

I am confused, why would they called it Windows NT 7, when Longhorn's kernel is version 6?

Windows NTXP - Crappiest I have heard yet.

Longhorn has the NT 6.0 kernel, Blackcomb has the NT 7.0 kernel

586153719[/snapback]

Who says Blackcomb's kernel is version 7? Remember, its only known as a server release for now, which could possibly make it either a 6.1 or 6.5 release of Windows Server in the future.

Yes, there is speculation of a client accompaning it, but it will probably be minor (possibly just to refresh system level features to support the distributed computing initiative and authentication features of Blackcomb Server), since Longhorn is the platform upon which Microsoft will go forward with client Windows for the next 10 to 15 years, this probably means you won't see a drastic change to the client until either 2016 or 2021. But that doesn't mean you want see a lot interim releases of Windows over the next 10 to 15 years.

Windows6.  You watch.

586163024[/snapback]

Now THAT would be good.

I was originally gunning for Windows NG, but Windows6 is very cool.

I don't think they will give it a number, different cultures have unlucky and lucky numbers so a lot of companies try to get away from numbers now.