what will be the final name of Longhorn?

I hate stupid names for different versions of the same product. I hope they name it Windows 6.0 because that's what it is.

Amen. Enough of this Windows Me, XP, 2000-whatever. Sick of users asking, "Well how can Office 2003 run on Windows 2000?" The marketing guys at MS need to let go of the product naming. Windows 6 will be fine. If they can't help messing with it they could name it Windows VI. ;)

Amen. Enough of this Windows Me, XP, 2000-whatever. Sick of users asking, "Well how can Office 2003 run on Windows 2000?" The marketing guys at MS need to let go of the product naming. Windows 6 will be fine. If they can't help messing with it they could name it Windows VI. ;)

I couldn't agree more. I have a lot of nice times trying to explain that.

Windows VI or Windows 6? Nahh better don't, if not the mac camp would say MS follow even the numbering system. hence their macos 8,9 X and etc.

I go with their current alphabets, ME, XP and etc... since they are released after a long long long lapse apart, shouldn't be confusing on which is newer.

I think, maybe is Microsoft Windows 2006

what is your opinion?

Marketing decide ....... I wouldn't expect it to be announced until a few months before release

but it's so radically different I would really be surprised if it's just given a yearly moniker for the name

Windows .NET Client (Home)

Windows .NET Workstation (Pro)

Windows .NET Server Edition

Windows .NET Media Center Edition

Awesome names! Hope they're it :yes:

Windows .NET Workstation :wub:

Windows Client 200x Home

Windows Client 200x Professional

Windows Client 200x Media Center Edition

Windows Server 200x Standard

Windows Server 200x Web Editon

Windows Server 200x Enterprise

Windows Server 200x Datacenter

etc... (x = year)

It would be a nice "standard" to have :rolleyes:

I think Windows 6 would be cool, since it actually is version 6, plus it's being released in 2006
Microsoft developer hoax backfires

If any Microsoft OS was to be called Something.NET is would be Blackcomb not Longwinded, I mean Longwait, uh Longhorn.

# Windows NT 6.0 -- Unofficial. Discouraged by Microsoft. In the same way that Office XP shows up on hard drives as Office 10. Goes by the math that Windows 2000 was formerly Windows NT 5.0.

# Windows NT 5.1 or 5.2 -- Even more unofficial and slightly derogatory. Although it implies not much has changed from Windows 2000, it's apparently not far off, according to Microsoft developers. Check the version number given for Windows XP in Explorer under Help>About Windows.

Microsoft had announced that Windows .NET Server would be released long ago. Of course this was before Longhorn (after XP and before Longhorn was announced). What we got was 2003.

Windows NEXT

* I doubt any Windows client version will have .NET in its name as that brand hasn't taken off very well. Microsoft withdrew a lot from the branding of .NET after they hyped up. Also, .NET framework and .NET passport seems totally unrelated to have the same name; Microsoft need to sort out what it actually is, as it is a bit too ambiguous.

I doubt it will be named Windows 2006, it is kind of lame. I expect it to follow of routes of having two letters to represent it like XP. Something like Windows RX (Revolutionary eXperience).

RX= Really Expensive :p

Windows Aero 2006 (Home)

Windows Workstation 2006 (Professional)

Windows Media Center 2006

Windows PocketPC 2006

Windows Mobile Edition 2006 (Especially for laptop users :) )

Windows Server 2007

Windows Enterprise Server 2007

Windows Datacenter 2007

Windows High Performance 2008

Windows LongHorn (LH) perhaps. Everyone knows what it is now so they might not change it again. Or Windows MM6 or Windows 2006/7

Longhorn was known before 2003, so yes it is very possible for Longhorn to be called Windows .NET

Q: What's up with the name Windows Server 2003? I thought it was just going to be called Windows .NET Server.

A: Microsoft has changed the name of this product several times. Most recently, in January 2003, the company decided it needed better branding for its products based on .NET, and so the name was changed from Windows .NET Server 2003 to Windows Server 2003.

By the way. Talk of Windows .NET Server (or Server.NET) first reared it's head around mid-2000. During that time Blackcomb was to be the next MS OS. Longhorn was revealed on June 24, 2001 (date according to winsupersite.com).

Easy..............Windows RL (really late) :woot:

:alien: