• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

what will be the final name of Longhorn?

Hurmoth    518
Longhorn is NT 6 as 2000 was NT 5 and previous to that there was NT 4, NT 3.51 etc

:rolleyes: Completely forgot about NT, but yes, that actually makes more sense then what I was saying. Sorry about that :blush:

Steve Lampkins    1

Longhorn IS a major overhaul.

+longgonebn    74

Windows LX sounds best .

El_Cu_Guy    0

Without quoting 3+ posts here let's touch on the versioning of Windows. Someone asked why it would be called 6.0 and then went off to write down every version from Windows 1.0 to Windows XP. Someone else then wrote the same list including DOS versions. Hopefully this will explain some things. Again hopefully. I mean I seriously don't have the time to draw you a picture tie it to a brick and beat you in the head with it.

First let's talk about DOS. We're not talking about DOS!!!! We're talking about Windows.

So let's look at the first list.

Windows 1.0 - 3.0

Windows 95

Windows NT

Windows 98

Windows 98SE

Windows 2000

Windows ME (or did 2k come out after?)

Windows XP

Apparently you ned to learn about the command VER and get your head examined in the process. Barring hte fact you forgot Win3.11 and the fact that it's not just NT (tada!). NT has it's own versioning, duh! For example (3.51 and 4.0, W2K is 5).

Run 95, 95 Release2, 98, 98SE, and Me. Now...open...the...command...prompt...and..type...VER. Everyone of theses will output something like 4.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Why? How can this be!?! Win95 is version 4 while Release2, 98, 98SE and Me are all MINOR UPGRADES.

Alrighty not. Following NT versioning, for purposes of discusion we'll start NT at 4.0 (excluding Service Packs 1-6). W2K is version 5 and XP (use VER to verify it) is version 5.1 (forgiving all the 5.xxxxx.xxx.blah blah blah.). Why? Because it's a minor friggin upgrade.

Because Windows 3.0 was just a shell over DOS, not an actual OS. Plus it was only 16-bit, not 32 like 95 through Longhorn.
WRONG! By that logic you could consider Windows all the way to Me nothing more than a shell for DOS as later version simply incorporated DOS into a single package while still relying on it for quite a bit of their functionality. Windows 3.0 was actually considered an OS as it supported native applications anf go beyond conventional and real memory. So what if it was 16-bit. That doesn't make it not an OS. Windows 1.0 and 2.0 were not considered OSes as 1.0 was an app suite for DOS which included nothing more than toy programs and 2.0 was a more useful product with more mature offerings.
Technically speaking you're right, but I'm almost sure that they are counting only 32-bit Windows though. That's the only thing that works to make Windows 6.0.

:woot: :wacko: :woot: :wacko: :woot: :wacko: :woot: :wacko: :woot: :wacko:

Hurmoth    518
WRONG!  By that logic you could consider Windows all the way to Me nothing more than a shell for DOS as later version simply incorporated DOS into a single package while still relying on it for quite a bit of their functionality.  Windows 3.0 was actually considered an OS as it supported native applications anf go beyond conventional and real memory.  So what if it was 16-bit.  That doesn't make it not an OS.  Windows 1.0 and 2.0 were not considered OSes as 1.0 was an app suite for DOS which included nothing more than toy programs and 2.0 was a more useful product with more mature offerings.

Yes, I realized this and apologized for not thinking through what I said!

But I still think that Windows .NET is a very likely name for Longhorn!

Brandon Live    232

Minor versions can be important, however...

Windows 3.1, for instance, was a pretty important upgrade to 3.0...

It added support for multimedia, sound cards, VFW, etc.

Windows 3.1 was designed to run on DOS 6.x

Windows NT started as Windows NT 3.5. And then of course 3.51 which became mainstream.

Windows 95 integrated the DOS and Windows (not Windows NT) products into a single platform. Technically speaking, Windows 95 was DOS 7.0.

Windows 98 was DOS 7.1.

I believe Windows Me was labeled 7.11 or something like that.

Windows 2000 was originally called Windows NT 5. That was the name we saw on startup during the first few betas. In beta 3, it changed to 2000.

Microsoft, at this point, threw out the Windows NT name and more or less made Windows 2000 the same as "Windows 5.0"

XP is 5.1, Windows 2003 and XP 2003 Edition are 5.2.

Longhorn identifies itself as "Windows 6.0" though purists may call it NT 6.

Given Microsoft's recent naming strategy... you can expect that the server version will have a name consistent with Windows 2000 and 2003.... such as Windows Server 2007. Though the word Server tends to move around. So it'll probably be called "Server Edition 2007 Windows Standard"

The client, on the other hand, will have some obscure and meaningless name which has absolutely nothing to do with the version that came before it =D

Examples would be....

"Windows VI" (roman 6)

"Windows FT"

"The Windows product formerly known as Longhorn"

and so on.

Deniss    4

I think prolly Windows.Net

El_Cu_Guy    0
Windows NT started as Windows NT 3.5

Windows NT 3.1 was released in late 93. Many thought it to be a follow up or rebranding of Windows 3.1 or Windows for Workgroups 3.1 (similar to Microsoft's rebranding of Windows 2.0/286 and 2.11/386). WfW3.11 was released less than a year later. NT3.5 was released in 94 followed by 3.51 in 95. NT4 debuted in 96. Futute updates would come in the form of Service Packs (1-6).

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same happen with Windows XP and 2003 (with support for W2K to drop off). Numerous service pack releases until the next version is finally finished rather than some interim release.

Edited by El_Cu_Guy

Renfrew-guy    0
Longhorn identifies itself as "Windows 6.0" though purists may call it NT 6.

As it is based only on the NT Operating System - it is Windows NT version 6.0. - Windows (without the NT) is just branding for all subsequent Operating Systems since 2000

Steve Lampkins    1

I thinki it will have the name Windows still in it somewhere. Not Skylight, Porthole or Molten-Sand-Hardened-In-Some-Sort-Of-Frame.

gregstar05    0

i heard it is going to be called Windows Advance!!!!!!!!!

erf    0

I think they should just leave it as longhorn

I still call win xp Whistler....

gazebee_    3

where'd u get that?

gregstar05    0

when i first heard about whistler, it thought it was this third party program/os that tried to copy xp, but was better lol...seriously

gregstar05    0

i heard off a friend of mine

MipScript    0

It will be called Longhorn-just-say-no-to-open-source... i.e. Longhorn JSNTOS

Edited by MipScript

Steve Lampkins    1

I heard it will be called Window. Becuase you can only have one copy of each!!

Sorry, the rumour mill bug got hold of me.

0sit0    181

nah it will be called Windows 4 Monster PCs

iMonkey    1

Windows Red & Blue. :laugh:

post-83-1090495420.jpg

forster    23

George...

GaZZacK    0

Windows WGBWWAYM (we're greedy ******s who want all your money)

Hurmoth    518
Windows Red & Blue. :laugh:

I want Windows Blue :D

Slimy    14

who cares, as long as it's good

Hurmoth    518
who cares, as long as it's good

Agreed! As long as it doesn't crash every five minutes, then I'm happy :happy:

El_Cu_Guy    0

Microsoft House