[GUIDE] Internet through IR

Mods: not sure about where to put this.

Here is a guide to sharing an internet connection through Infrared (IR). The purpose for this is the cheapest way to connect two laptops together, as almost all laptops have an IR port. Currently I am using a dialup connection on the host computer, and the guest computer will connect to the internet using IR. That pretty much explains what we're trying to do, and now on to the actual steps.

First, a few requirements:

1.)Windows XP (This was tested on a "Professional")

2.)A working IR port/connection.

3.)A proxy server. I used AnalogX Proxy (which can be found at http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm)

4.)Working internet connection?you can have it ?ON? while performing these steps.

Alright, and now for the steps:

These steps are for the HOST computer(the one with the internet connection):

1.)Navigate to Start->Accessories->Communications->New Connections Wizard.

2.)Select "Set up an advanced connection"

3.)Select "Accept incoming connections"

4.)Select your IR device.

5.)Select "Do not allow VPN...." (you can experiment with this)

6.)Add a new user, and be sure to specify a password.

7.)I had TCP/IP, File and Printer Sharing, QoS Packet Sched. and Client for MS Networks enabled.

8.)Click Finish.

These steps are optional, but makes things a lot easier every time you want to connect to the internet. I highly recommend this!

9.)Navigate to "Network Connections"

10.)You will see an "Incoming Connections" icon, right click and go to its properties.

11.)Click on the "Networking" tab, and select TCP/IP and then click properties.

12.)Select ?Specify IP Addresses.? Here?s what I used: (FROM: 192.168.0.1, and TO: 192.168.0.2). And then click OK twice.

The HOST computer is now the server for the guest computer. Now to configure the Guest computer:

1.)Follow steps 1 and 2 from the HOST computer.

2.)Select "Connect directly to another...."

3.)Select "Guest"

4.)Type the name of the HOST computer.

5.)Select your IR device.

6.)Click Finish (place a shortcut on the desktop).

Now, click on your connection shortcut on the desktop, and type in the username and password you supplied during the HOST configuration. Go ahead and connect and make sure the little ?blue computer icon? shows up in the system tray. You can right click that connection to select ?status? and then click details?where it will show you the host and guest (server and client) IP addresses. Ping each other to make sure the connection is good.

Back to some more configuration on the HOST computer:

1.)Install AnalogX Proxy. After installation, right click its icon in the system tray and click ?configure?

2.)Type in your server IP Address (the one you got when you clicked ?status?details? on that little blue computer icon) in the ?Proxy Binding? box. In our case, it should be 192.168.0.1 Click ?ok? and the icon should be green in color.

3.)Now go ahead and connect to the internet, if you have not already.

That?s all the configuration you need to do on the HOST computer. Back to the GUEST computer:

1.)Go to Internet Explorer?s properties, and then click on the ?Connections? tab.

2.)In the ?Dial-up and VPN network settings? box, it should list your IR Connection (the name of the HOST computer). Select that, and then click settings.

3.)Select ?Use a proxy server for?.? and type in the address of the proxy server (the one you typed in that ?Proxy Binding? box). In our case it should be 192.168.0.1 and then type in the port, which is 6588 (this port depends on the proxy server you are using. If you read the read-me file from AnalogX Proxy, you will see that there are ports for FTP, SOCKS, etc.)

4.)Click OK twice.

5.)Make sure the proxy server and the internet connection are running on the HOST computer.

6.)Fire up IE and go to a website, and it should work!

7.)As for other applications (Firefox, AIM, MSN, etc.) go to their connections options, and select ?HTTP Proxy? and type in the HOST IP address and port. (In our case it?s 192.168.0.1 and 6588).

If all?s right, you should have a working internet connection through IR.

Much testing has been done to ensure the accuracy of this guide, but as always, there may be some errors or a better, more efficient way of doing things. Please post any suggestions and questions you may have!