Working on the server

from the 'Neowin Book of Revelations'

"Neowin was always a ravaging ocean, until the man struck his hand down into the ocean and made all that was furious, calm" - July 20th 2004 (Redmak tames the beast)

yeh really welldone redmak, we all put the load on your sholders and you carried us with pride!

so if this is pinnned then the server will be down? so noone will see this is pinned? so when we come back it wont be pinned as the server is fix :blink:

*pops*

so if this is pinnned then the server will be down? so noone will see this is pinned? so when we come back it wont be pinned as the server is fix :blink:

*pops*

I guess he means that as long as there are problems with the site, and this message is pinned, then he is working on the server. If you can't see it because the site is down, then hes really working on it.

arent you all glad that im taking some load off of ol' redmak sos he can take care of the server :D

i like the addition of me as a coder already :cool:

Neowin Unoffical Spokesman? Announcementb>

I think we can see some PHP updates.. Perhaps a 5.0? Or mabey the latest 4.x?

SQL Optimizations can be seen.

There is also reports of workers at Toxikk's house, installing a beer tap (This is actually true thoug:laugh:h:)

We will not be seeing any of the 'Prettyness' updates today. Its all codin(Y)Y)

UPDATE :b> It's offical, Marcel is updating the PHP to v. 4.3.8. Well, at least its definitly not 5. It may be a diff revision, but its definilty in the 4.x.x are(Y)Y)

Rob... its nice that your trying to inform everybody about the server status... but lets leave the annoucements to the staff... :yes:

We don't want any information given out thats wrong or incorrect.

,Jul 20 2004, 18:01] I think we can see some PHP updates.. Perhaps a 5.0? Or mabey the latest 4.x?

SQL Optimizations can be seen.

Ok, no, yes, and no, so please stop trying to be smart. The only optimizations being done are at the OS level and Apache level.

Here's what's been done (from what I know):

Apache is being slimmed to remove some unnecessary modules (mod_bandwidth, mod_log_bytes, FrontPage, etc).

lingerd has been installed.

The MySQL data directory, apache log directory, and web files directory have all had their contents chattr'ed +A to remove the access time update.

Two kernel variables have been tweaked to provide for faster vm system performance under the load the server is experiencing (specifically related to page cache allocation and flushing)

The things I think that need to be done are this:

Move /tmp to ramfs

Turn off some unneeded services (who needs HTTP anyways! :p )

Turn off IPB's gzip (mod_gzip is installed, so it's being double-gzip'ed)

Rob... its nice that your trying to inform everybody about the server status... but lets leave the annoucements to the staff... :yes:

We don't want any information given out thats wrong or incorrect.

thats why its unnofficial..

but ok :)

' date='Jul 20 2004, 17:50'] thats why its unnofficial..

but ok :)

No. Please do not do anything unofficially. You only make yourself look foolish, and will greatly annoy others in the process. :crazy:

No. Please do not do anything unofficially. You only make yourself look foolish, and will greatly annoy others in the process:crazy:y:

sorry.. it was a joke from another thread.:unsure:e: