Hosting a website from Win2k help

I was considering running my web site from my home computer (Win2k) with apache server. This would be a lot better for me as it allows me unlimited access to mySQL services and a lot more web space.

I just don't know where to get started and some of the main issues. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

First of all, how is this even done? All I want to do is register the domain name to point to my ip, but currently I'm with Bell Sympatico and my IP is not static. Will I have to get a static service provider before running the web page from my computer? Which service is good for the bare bones domain registeration (cheapest?).

Also, obviously I am concerned with the security risks of running a web server from Win2k (I might get linux just for this purpose, althought all the software, apache, mysql, php, etc., would be identical). What are the main security issues with hosting a web site from Win2k?

Any help would be much appriciated.

A friend of mine is intending to set up a web server using Win 2003, personally I have very little knowledge but would say that would require a static IP address and Go Daddy are cheap and easy when it comes to domain name registration. I started a topic regarding what kind of Internet connection is required for hosting your own site its Here.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip! I figured I needed a static IP address, but how hard is it to change the IP configured in the domain name?

Also, is a cable line sufficient for the uploading demands of a personal web site?