Thats it :-)

Daysleeper

Just to say what a heap of **** XP really is. I have been installing and using M$ OS's since the 3.1 days and XP is the first one to beat me.

I can install it, and it seems to run perfectly... until I actually try and do something with it. Nero is a joke I know people say it works fine with 5.540.. they are lying trust me. and Musicmatch... well let's not even go there... it never worked right under 2000 never mind XP! The last straw was Office 2K Prem.. after disk 2 failed to install for reasons yet unknown I gave up...

My advice to anyone out thier thinking about a 500 MB download or god forgive actually buying it doesn't, well not until SP1 or maybe 2 is around.

FYI my system spec is below if anyone has experianced similar problems please post :-)

Dual PIII 866

Intel OR840 MB with Rambus (512MB PC800)

Elsa GF2 Ultra 64MB

2X 40 GB IBM Ultastars

3 CDROMS on an Adaptec 2940AU

Real Magic DVD decoder

SB Live Plat 5.1

3Com 905C NIC

intergrated Adaptec Ultra 160 SCSI-3

as you can see I am a SCSI user and I suspect this could be the cause of my problems... The older 2940AU seems to crash a lot and I lose access to my CD-ROMs...like I said I would love comments if you have any info... its really ****ing me off.. :-)

xelencin

dont give people bad advice because winxp doesnt run good with your hardware, i have no problems =)

Daysleeper

What I neglected to say is that I have actually installed XP on 5 PC's now only one an old P2 350 runs fine the rest screwed up at one time or another.. I am an MS fan jesus I actually BETA tested Exchange server Plat... from what I have heard from other people in the field what actually build PC's with the purpose of them working for more than 2 weeks my experiances arn't unusual.

I guess if you dont mind installing windows over and over again then XP is for you..

willywonka69

MusicMatch worked perfect under my copy of XP

Kheldar

As an opposition, I have run every build since beta one .. and even through the development XP has been the most stable reliable Windows OS I have ever used. I have yet to see it crash, have had reliable run times of 2 weeks plus, and they only end there as I have to install something that needs a reboot. ALL my software runs, and if something trips over once in a while app comp usually fixes it. Sorry to Daysleeper, but there's two ends to every spectrum.

Pow35

Let me guess... You load Linux and "everything" runs great...Right? :ermm:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~908 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V ACPI BIOS Revision 1007, 2/26/2001

Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 164.36 MB

As you can see, I also run WinXP and strangely, It is so much more stable then any other Operating System I seen so far. :cool:

Software sometime don't react the way you expect them, but then again, The OS is not quite out for the General Public and already we got People finding Problems that aren't even related to the OS but to the Software installed on this OS.

Look for Updates first... Then perhaps you can complain later... with a better sense of credibility. ;)

khaos34

I'm sure not lying when I tell people taht nero works perfectly :p

I've burned almost a hundred cds perfectly since i installed XP and nero... hmmm :s

PM5K

Well I have used Music Match in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.. It works fine in both... Also I have used Nero in Windows XP and it works fine... I've burned about 15 cd's and they all worked fine....

The only problems I have had with XP is a few childrens games like Winnie The Pooh Kindergarten that won't runm, and also after using XP for a while sometimes my themes dissapear, but I think I know why that was hapenning now ;-)

larry

I have XP pro and I love it. office 2k works great and ez-cd creator worked after I got the update for win2k!!

DjmUK

Have you ever considered the fact that maybe - just maybe your copy of WinXP is faulty..?

The truth is, only a handful of people dislike XP - and to 95% of the people in here alone find it the best and most stable operating system to date.

Don't put the O/S down simply because you're having problems with it. What you should do is read other threads - there are hundreds of comments on it (95% are good - but we can't please everyone now can we).

af4

Nero works the same in XP as it did in 2K. Fine. At least on my comp.

crackhbob

Just wanted to make sure I was added to the 95%. :)

I love this OS! EVERYTHING runs perfectly and with the nt task manager running... nothing ever brings your system to the point of rebooting. I'm glad to see there are plenty of other people in here that will stand up and defend what they find good. :D

PDMan

I have to agree. The only problems I have encountered with XP are Creative sound card drivers and Adobe LiveMotion.

MadDog

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I've installed XP on a generic P5, Dell Dimension 4100, two Dell Dimension 8100s, Dell Inspiron 7000, Dell Inspiron 3500, Dell Inspiron 3000, and a couple IBM NetVistas with (after locating XP device drivers for some of the hardware) no problems at all. In fact, they all seem to run faster and crash much less often. I've used Nero, although I don't care for it much, with no issues at all. Maybe it's UE. ;)

Jon

We have installed XP on *loads* of different machines at work, and not ONE has had a problem.

Its probably the best OS MS has come up with as far as i'm concerned. It can be tailored to suit any environment.

Nero works fine btw, for (it seems) the rest of the world.

Jon

mortensen

I have 2 machines and both run WinXP perfectly.

Your card is a "Elsa GF2 Ultra 64MB" so you NEED to get the latest 21.81 drivers or WinXP will crash like ****! I USED to have major problems but when I got the latest drivers that support XP from Nvidia WinXP has NEVER crashed.

I used the 12.90 drivers but they experienced random locks, blue screens, random reboots, etc.

Specs:

Duron 700 @727

256RAM

TNT2 with 21.81 drivers

SB!Live [works perfectly]

K6-2 450

256RAM

TNT2 M64 with 21.81 drivers

Yamaha Waveforce 192XG

I USED to HATE XP but now it works properly. All games work properly [Half-Life, Tribes 2, Elite Force, Unreal Tournament, etc] and all apps seem to work well too [Photoshop 6, Office XP, CloneCD, WinAmp, KaZaa, WinMX, etc].

And after optimising my resart in the services menu it boots up and is usable quicker than even WinME.

Riker

There are a few things about XP that are quite ****.

1. No customised install

2. Folders that cannot be deleted. (Xerox, MSN etc)

3. You get a ton of crap installed that you dont want and is just bloatware eg:- Crap Cd burning software and there **** picture viewer.

4. I like the first guy found nero wouldnt burn **** for me. It would burn the cd but when I put it into another machine the machine would say nothings on the disk??? (Only on XP systems if I put the cd in Win2k machine it would work????)

5. Compatibility mode does nothing, just as good in Win2k eg:- Useless.

6. It seems to take copious amounts of donkey dick.

I have used this OS for about 1month now on about 3 machines 2 high end desktops and a laptop. After going insane at how **** XP is. Ive decided to go back to Win2k at least **** like MSN and Messenger arent CRAMMED down my throat.

And just cause it works for all you guys that dont mean there arent alot of use out there ****ed off with it. Till XP stops being Gay, I wont touch it with a ten foot pole.:p

aco

XP has been *good* for me, other than a few small details.

Riker: You just got me thinking, why the hell do they put messenger preloaded on a "Professional" machine???

...Home maybe, but Professional!? :s

Riker

So you dont use something Icq or AIM. Most newbies will go oh wow look, MSN messenger cool Ill use that, not know there are better things out there.

Daysleeper

This is exactly the kind of responce I expected. I do also run Linux BTW and yes it works perfectly but it takes a lot more work to get it that way!

For the Musicmatch people out there .. set up another user an try an run it.. No chance.. it DOES NOT WORK... they admit it.. you have to run it in "Windows 2000" mode to do anything and then you have to be a power user .. it uses the HKEY_USER keys in the registry hence it is not global

NERO is another matter, it is unstable. I have used it since version 2.1 and know it well as I do the devlopers. The problems are related to NTFS 5.1... they are working on it and the problems will be fixed.

My main point is that XP is not ready.. it has its own problems but the main ones are related to other software venders... in time all will be well..

Like I said .. maybe when SP1 or 2 is around venders will have fixed thier softare and microsoft will have fixed XP...

For the dude what said he has installed it at work.. FFS ... Ever heard of TESTING.........

FYI.. I have resolved some issues regarding SCSI and XP. I don't make comments without knowing what I am talking about..

digitallaughter

Windows xp was also crappy on my computer. I have installed it 5 times. It runs good for the first week but then it just dies. Starngly enough it works like a charm on my 350mhz machine :)

PM5K

Most of these problems sound like what I like to call "Operator Error".... It's pretty easy to do things like uninstall MSN Messenger or Picture Viewer, or MSN Explorer..... You can also get rid of those folders....Though it may be they aren't supossed to be deleted.......... All in all it's been a good os and I have been testing it since the early betas......

khaos34

I still don't think that you should say that peopel are lying with they got Nero to work on their comp. I've had a hard drive with 2 NTFS 5.1 partitions on it and it still worked perfectly. :p

I'm not sayin that it doesn't work for some people, just don't toatlly bash Nero and say that it doesn't work on XP.

Jon

Riker.

You can uninstall MSN.

If it actually annoyed you THAT much, but you couldnt figure out how to uninstall it, tbh i'm not suprised you couldnt get nero to work.

I thought WinXP was designed with muppets in mind, you've proved that wrong!!!!!!

Nero works. Absolutely perfectly for almost everyone else.

Comapibility mode works, and it works well, if you know how to use it. I've managed to make loads of games work in win2k / xp that wouldnt b4 hand with it.

Try macOS or sumfin, seems the easiest to use MS operating system is toooo much for you. :)

Jon

configure

Riker, if you don't like MSN Messenger, why don't you remove it?

--Incase you didn't already remove it and don't know how..

1. There're hidden folder in C:Windows called "inf"

2. edit sysoc.inf in C:WindowsINF

3. Remove "hide" from 'msmsg' so that it look some thing like this : msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

4. Windows Messenger will appear in your Add/Remove Pogram.

I agree with Riker on why they make it preloaded, or there're might be other reason, but oh well.. They might just really want to steal users from ICQ, AIM, etc. :p :old: