Thats it :-)

LMAO @ you guys.. Heres me thinking that I may actually get relevent information from this thread... Insted its "Works fine for me.. must be something you are doing"

Maybe the wording in my first post was a little OTT.. I didn't want to be flamed. What I wanted was information.

There must be someone reading this board who hasnt got thier head so far up thier arse they can see that there are issues with XP and know of work arounds.. or just give an insight.. I am really interesred in the SCSI problem (AHA 2940) as this error is repeatable. I can boot into 2K 2P2 and all is fine.. and then into XP and it no longer works! or will die after a random period of time :-)

As for MAC OS.. I have never met a bad installation of MAC OS. Not my fav OS (What has to be 2000 SP2 or Win95 C)but it get's close...

as a last point.. any of you guys ever seen a service pack fix list ? 2000 SP2 fixed over 3000 "Issues" ... and XP is based on that ? Hardly a stable foundation.

There must be someone reading this board who hasnt got thier head so far up thier arse
Yes, THAT'S gonna get you help.
Just to say what a heap of **** XP really is.

Not exactly the language you use when you're asking for help.

NEway, people here KNOW that WinXP has issues. Nearly 100% of ALL the problems are drivers related! For Nvidia cards you NEED the latest 21.81 drivers [or you are likely to get blue screens] and sound also needs the latest drivers. If you can't find XP drivers for any of your hardware then that's ASKING for problems.

XP HASN'T been released yet [as is so often mentioned] and you might even have to wait many months AFTER the release to get good drivers for your hardware.

I know people say it works fine with 5.540.. they are lying trust me
Just because it doesn't work for you DOESN'T mean that other people that say it works are lying.
The last straw was Office 2K Prem.. after disk 2 failed to install for reasons yet unknown I gave up...

Pirated serial keys have been stopped so that MIGHT be your problem... if not it could just be a incompatability with your particular system [no it's NOT a conspiracy by M$ against you].

As for the comments...Just giv'in as good as gett'in :-)

I do not use pirate software. I now have the "purple" version of XP (Think most refer to it as MSDN or select version)

I am aware of the driver issues with Nvidia cards and am running the latest version I have also removed my DVD card as its drivers are still in BETA but it hasn't made any differance.

Installing an older version of office on a new OS has always caused problems. Anyone who has installed office 97 on 2K will know that.. Please don't say "I've installed it and it works amazingly" as this is a documented problem on Technet. I suspect that the errors caused by office 2K are due to it being a SR1A disk..but I am guessing and I no longer have the old version to test.

I am running Win2K SP2 as my primary and I am happy with it. I put XP at the ass end of my 2nd HD just for fun.... one thing I have noticed in XP though is the lack of error messages.. maybe this is MS's new and improved way of dealing with system errors.. Just ignor it and hope no one notices.. LOL well anythings better than the good old NT4 "A device attched to the system is not functioning" one.. man I love that error ..

It seems everyone loves XP.. and I am on my todd... but I remeber them releasing windows 95... LMAO we all loved it at first too.. now we joke about what a heap of **** it really was...

Thanks anyhow :-)) but I guess I am to far gone to be helped.. all I see now are Penguins

Firstly I do have to agree with Mortensen.

What I suggest is simply being patient and waiting for all the manufacturers of the hardware/software you have on your machine to release the XP drivers. This may obviously take a while, but when they are all written you probably won't have all these problems with your machine.

And what we all have to remember is the fact that no operating system is 100% stable. I mean we all get crashes or errors from time to time, and some more than others. But that is the nature of things, just give things time a chance and see what you personally like.

Basically it's all down to your personal preference on what operating system runs best for you.

I hope this makes sense and clears up any misunderstandings, lets just read what we type before hitting submit. :rambo:

Are we all friends now..?

I have no idea what kind of crap computers you guys are running but XP really is the best since Win 95. Ok so you don't like Messenger or the included Burning software. THEN DON'T USE IT!!! Nero 5.5 works just perfectly under XP, never had any problems with. And as for music match, what a piece of bloated crap, use something like winamp. XP is by far the stable and easy to use OS that I have ever seen, and that even means Mac stuff. My vote is that Microsoft has finally gotten it right.

-TrainerNIU

Originally posted by TrainerNIU

I have no idea what kind of crap computers you guys are running but XP really is the best since Win 95. Ok so you don't like Messenger or the included Burning software. THEN DON'T USE IT!!! Nero 5.5 works just perfectly under XP, never had any problems with. And as for music match, what a piece of bloated crap, use something like winamp. XP is by far the stable and easy to use OS that I have ever seen, and that even means Mac stuff. My vote is that Microsoft has finally gotten it right.

-TrainerNIU

I have never not been "friends" I know my first post was a little OTT. I have said that, and I know there are people reading this board what know what they are talking about.... then there are posts like I have quoted above... I mean does that have any purpose ? I run on a mature intel platform what has never been any bother with any OS. I would'nt describe it as a "crap computer"

Like its been said, its a waiting game and as I said in the first post for people thinking of running XP wait until SP1 or 2 is around as by then software venders will have caught up.

Pesonally I love the look of XP and the burning software included actually did work when my SCSI card was working.. Thats why I find it so fustrating as I cannot see what I am doing wrong or what part of my system is causing errors. It is also the only OS I have ever installed what didn't need any drivers as it picked up every piece of hardware and installed the correct drivers at first boot. I have tryed to run it without installing anything but I still encounter problems.. When Microsoft cert. drivers don't work for me I hold out little hope.

*Another thought.. anyone else out there running the Multiprocessor kernel too ? I Know MS have made big changes here and am wondering if that could be part of the problem...

I think part of the problem is: Windows XP removed alot of hardware that used to work with win2k (such as older SCSI adapters) Im not saying this is the cause of the problem, but that is what the most problems come down to if someone says "well it works fine on win2k!" then you will find that the hardware in question is no longer supported or will not install on WinXP, this is a move both by MS and Harware vendors to push newer hardware out on to the market.

Alot of people will get a nasty surprise on October 25th if they buy WinXP and try to load it on their pre 1998 machine(s)

I have to agree with the fact that XP is way more stable than previous versions of Windows, even more so than win2k. I have yet to see Explorer and IE crash in xp (something that was easily done in Win2k) and as for system stability, well they have certainly built on the reliability of win2k and improved it. It works fine, *feels* like a rock and runs smoothly.

I use Nero 5.5, CDRWIN 4.0 without errors and I have OfficeXP installed so I cant offer advice for Office2000

I will agree that MS makes it difficult to install older software on newer os'es (like the O97/2000 problem on XP) as I have experienced simular faults in the past. It looks stupid to get an error while trying to install MS software on a MS operating system, but hey it happens, because I have seen it.

Previous betas did give an error while burning with Nero, but the final seems to work fine with all the CD's I've burned.

As a footnote, Adobe software is known to cause memory leaks and problems in XP du to the way Adobe reads the disk, Photoshop works for me, but is slow and heavy on my system, this is something that will most likely be patched. With every new filesystem version there are always in-compatibilities to software that work with a file system designed for an older version. (Look at PM6 + XP, I lost 20gigs of data using it!)

hope this helps.

LMAO .. I never thought about Adobe!.. I use Photoshop 6.01 a lot and I have installed it everytime I have XP.. very interesting.. I will investigate :-)

I have got a load of great feedback from adaptec and they have suggested a couple of things.. 1 Roll back the driver to an older version, and disable IRQ sharing. This is a dodgy thing to do in 2KXP and you have to mess around with the ACPI system settings... but I have managed it and so far my drives are working fine (for about 5 hours at the mo).

I am also testing EZCD 5.02 Plat on XP, if it works OK I may consider moving XP onto a Primary partition!..

So things are looking up...... Thanks All :-)

*A friend has convinced me to install XP on his PC.. got a Voodoo 3500TV in it... prepare for round 2 :-)) .. nah actually I have already found the drivers on the net so I will spare you that...

Good luck.

NEway, I use Photoshop 6 on one XP machine and haven't had any problems with it. As for Internet Explorer and Explorer I HAVE had Internet Explorer crash [much more stable than NE previous version though] but have NEVER had Explorer crash [since I installed it this time with GOOD drivers].

Win2k was very stable but had problems running a lot of programs. WinXP at first seemed awful [bSOD's, etc] but now I've found it to be the best M$ OS yet.

PS - It's always best when people are friendly... you normally get a better answer quicker. All we needed was that nice thank you. :cheeky:

I always try to be nice.. it was the little Penguins.. they told me to do it ... I guess they are just going to have to learn to share my system.... As it looks like my affair with "The Dark Side" is going to last.. EZCD works a treat.. but I still miss Nero ... :-(

Just because some of you don't seem to have the technical touch for finetuning and adapting doesn't mean theat XP is all bad.

Got 2600 Pro on a number of machines, including the rathrer exotic IBM ThinkPad transnote - yes the one with the direct transcription pad on the side & flip screen. Plugged with an additional Nokia Cardphone and all works!!!

Course it took a nite and a day of driver in and out etc. but what do you expect, 2k wasn't the least bit easier and definitely less stable. The other systems up and running range thru PII 233 to AMD 1400 with DVD, burning, additional TV tuner etc.

And - lastly - no crash figures to date on this build, so quit bickering and do your homework.

P.S. not MS affilate or fan just an everyday user confronted with the need to cope with MS in everydays business world, preferably looking back at years with linux and earlier on NeXTstep!

And just for you people YES I did know how to uninstall MSN and Messenger you losers. I like the way the they show it for you to uninstall to.... Oh wait they dont they hide it. And Yes I know Nero works in XP I just said that sometimes it would burn a CD say 100% done. Id put it in a different machine and nothing would come up. **** me some people are arrogant on this board.

eg:- XP doesnt work

most replies = [offensive text removed].

FFS all we were doing is stating our problems with XP, And if I think its ****, there isnt much you guys say that will change my opinion. So you can keep your bloatware OS, ill stick with 2k for a while longer atleast.

2gig XP install

700 for 2k

ummm Ill take 2k thanks.

Daysleeper,

First off, I understand... I too get frustrated and kinda blow up at my box everynow and then. Don't let all these "happy" folks get onto you too much.

I have no idea what it wrong with your box(es), as I'm not having any of the troubles you're having. I'm a single processor kind of guy so I'm thinking that may be your problem. I am currently running Nero on my QPS drive with no trouble, but it's a ATAPI drive so again, there's no real comparison there.

I really just wanted to tell all the other folks here to chill out and let us hot-heads blow off some steam from time to time try to help instead of shooting us down with, "You shouldn't be going off like that here....."