iPod 4G vs 3G, quick review.

I got my new iPod today and decided to do a quick comparison with the old version. My only reason for getting the newer one is due to the extended battery life and a larger Hard Drive all for $299 which I paid a year ago for the 10GB model.

The Box it came in is somewhat smaller and not as professional looking as the old one.

iPod1.jpg

The guts of the box are no longer all white, too bad because it looked better the old way.

iPod2.jpg

That's right don't steal music! :D. Makes me wonder what I got the iPod for then?

iPod3.jpg

The back looks the same just not as worn out :)

iPod4.jpg

The 3G screen looks brighter and more bluish then the 4G one, also I find the red light much sexier on the old one.

iPod5.jpg

For me the old 3G iPod looks much better then the new one, there is nothing cooler then no moving parts. But like I said the only reason why I got the 4G one is because of better battery life and the extra storage. So guys it's not really worth the upgrade stick with the old model until the next one comes out.......forgot to mention all the old accessories work with the new model even the dock and the sound quality seems better. Also switching between songs is much faster.

verdict:

iPod 3G: ****1/2

iPod 4G: ****

Edited by KeR

I have to agree when you say the old 3G looks better than the new 4G version! :)

Its also pity yhat the new model dont have lights in the buttons.

nice review, shame about removing the lighting on the buttons :( , and i thought it was smaller than the 3rd gen ??

I didn't see a difference in size, but they claim its thinner by 1mm...lol

i orded a 3g 15 gig on sunday and then got upgraded to the 20gig g4 i like the fatc of the more battery life and more spcae for less but i like the look of the 3g better (bye the way im new to the ipod)

I wonder why you waste your money (299 damn dollars) to get a new iPod you don't find as attractive as the one you have.

Is the 3G iPod battery life that bad?

Is 10gig really not enough to store your music?

I can hardly believe it.....

Though do whatever suits you, still I find it a waste of money frankly.

im getting a 4g one cuz its cheaper and "longer battery" life. Plus im getting the Cram And Jam discount along with an educational discount when i get my new PB and ipod (40gig)

im not botherd thoe, im glad to finally get an ipod iv been wanting one for months and iv been saving for one sum time i still think that the ipodg4 looks alot better than all of the other mp3hdd out there

Hm yeah.. think i'll stick with my 3rd gen.

Looks like they have tried to cut costs to make it appeal to more people.. its still an iPod and it still rules so much, but I think I like my 3rd gen more!! :)

Personally, I think that the 4G is much better then the 3G.

Even though there are no moving parts or whatever, the buttons on the 3G are, from an usable point of view, terrible. The buttons on the 2G were so much better and easier to use. The 4G is definately a step up in terms of the buttons then the 3G.

Also in terms of the functions - better battery life, as you've already mentioned, but also, the ability to delete and have more then one On-the-Go playlist is a cool feature.

I'm considering selling my 3G iPod and am prepared to pay the surplus money to get a 4G one.

What moving parts does 4G have then?

They both have damn moving parts the Hold switch MOVES and also the Hard Drive inside it moves... they both move damn it.

right anyway, the iPod 3G looks nicer by the majority of people on neowin only a few people like them. (I still think the 4G iPod looks pathetic compared to the 3G iPod its just laughable :laugh: :laugh: hahahaa :rofl: )

Does the scroll wheel stick out a bit on the 4G?

Could you possibly tell me if there is any bass improvements from the 3G iPod?

You know the Scroll wheel on the 3G ipod and the 4G ipod is basicly the same just has different drivers so that when you click on the left right top or bottom of the 4G's Scroll wheel it takes it as a button press so really why would it be moving or why would it be sticking out if its the same thing??

You know the Scroll wheel on the 3G ipod and the 4G ipod is basicly the same just has different drivers so that when you click on the left right top or bottom of the 4G's Scroll wheel it takes it as a button press so really why would it be moving or why would it be sticking out if its the same thing??

It looks like it is sticking out in the photo.

Just what I thought