pro's and con's of upgrade or full intall

Time is getting close so what are the pro's and con's of it? I know upgrade is alway's frowned upon but why?

Also, anyone have win2k? What are the requirments on it? I have a p166 48meg ram that I'd like to put it on instead of win98se or any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

i recommend getting a new system soon if you wanna put win2k/XP on it... i owned a p166 since '96 then jumped it up to a 650mhz athlon in early 2000... the difference was more than noticeable dude :p

my advice to you is to keep win98se on your p166. Win2k will not exactly run at its best on that system, and win98se should be pretty good for that system.

I just installed XP on a 1.33ghz thunderbird athlon, and the boot screen only flashes for about 2 seconds now. Everything runs smooth... you should look into it. You can get yerself a really nice system for less than a thousand. Good luck!:p

Pow35 is right about it working on your system, and you should mess around with win2k on your p166 if you don't have the resources to get yerself a new system. Then just save up and get a new one later :s

Go for the clean install.. An Upgrade always leaves an inprint of the old Operating System and sometime this also will cause some programs to act totally unexpected.

A clean Install garanties you the cleanest Environment possible... This is the way I always go, Unless there is no other alternative. :)

As for Window 2000 on a P-166, Yes! it can be installed but... You WILL need to Upgrade your Rams to at least 128 meg and to 256 meg for even better performances.

Keep in mind that Win2000 is quite a demanding software for a P-166 and you might experience some Slow down during it's normal operation.

Hope this help!:(

ok thanks. The 166 with 48ram is on my laptop and I use it hardly ever only when I travel at a hotel and wanna check mail. I know how cool XP is on a fast system. I have an athlon t-bird as my main system and it rocks.

I just hope someone tells us how to crack MS new code so we can use it on more than 1 puter!! lol

PS are you saying that win 2k needs 128 or it's recommended? what are the min. requirments on win 2k?