macs and pcs.. how are they different

Macs are for Graphics and Designing...

PC's are more Family computers

uh, you can use any os/hardware/software and design with it, what i don't get is why everyone thinks my mac itself does the design. it's like it has a special button i push, and POOOF, there's a design on my monitor. seriously, doesn't anyone see the pile of sketch paper on my floor -it's not floor covering!

sheesh ?it's quite ignoran:rolleyes:s:

as to your question, if her class is using them, i'd say it's a requirement ?no reason required, not a "what's the difference" question.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to get a Mac, and she just doesn't understand the difference between a Mac and a PC and why she should get one... she's one of those "computer is a computer" types... can someone give me the real fundamental differences that make the idfferentiation besides the software/hardware integration aspect, the different OS, all the basic stufF?

why would you want to convince someone to get a Mac when you don't even know the differences between a Mac and a PC yourself? :unsure:

(don't yell :p)

Apple Macs are not widely used. So there are hardly any viruses for it.

i doubt that. its not like hackers are like "oh, macs have 5% or less of the market, so im going to ignore the thousands upon thousands of users out there, and screw with windows users only." find another reason.

I got my G5 in the mail today, and im wondering why the **** I didnt come around sooner. PCs blow now comparied to apples hardware specific ****. You cant beat it. .. honestly.

I got my G5 in the mail today, and im wondering why the **** I didnt come around sooner. PCs blow now comparied to apples hardware specific ****. You cant beat it. .. honestly.

:D

it boggles my mind why people dismiss macs so fast.

I used to be a Mac basher until I tried one for more than 1 hour. I was hooked.

The iSight/iChat combo is great.

Everything works, right away.

Too bad I still have to fix Windows PCs. :cry: :crazy:

i just want to come out and say.....i'm proud of you guys. someone asked for the difference between mac and pc. everyone expected flames, and we got 1,2,3,4,5,.....NONE!

Too bad I still have to fix Windows PCs. :cry:  :crazy:

I hear you. I'm a full time computer (PC) tech, yet I run pretty much all Macs at home now.

one its a pc, the other one is not.

easy hu?

Technically that's incorrect. They are both Personal Computers. It's just become commonly accepted to call a Windows/x86 computer a PC, and to call an Apple Macintosh a Mac.

I hear you. I'm a full time computer (PC) tech, yet I run pretty much all Macs at home now.

Same, although its not my job to fix them, i seem to spent many hrs a week doing it... Then i come home to a carefree environment of Mac's... For me, this is the biggest point. Windows requires much more upkeep, for it to place nice, and generally is more 'hassle' in many ways...

Same, although its not my job to fix them, i seem to spent many hrs a week doing it... Then i come home to a carefree environment of Mac's... For me, this is the biggest point. Windows requires much more upkeep, for it to place nice, and generally is more 'hassle' in many ways...

I used to be a Mac basher until I tried one for more than 1 hour.  I was hooked.

The iSight/iChat combo is great.

Everything works, right away.

Tell that to all the people around here that bash Macs!

I guess most of them have never tested one and dont know what they are talking about. :whistle:

Too bad I still have to fix Windows PCs. :cry:  :crazy:
I have to use Windows computers at work as well.

Its a pain every day!

i had a mac in my house for a week (running 10.3) and i tried to get used to it and i just couldnt....i dont see how they say OSX is simpler than Windows....

Family computers? Are you kidding me? They are designed to be "business machines". What does IBM stand for again? :rolleyes: Remember the IBM PC? I would have hardly called that a home computer.

PC's are for geeks/hobbyists and businesses. I cannot understand why so many PC's are sold as home computers when they are so difficult or noobs to use.

Games? Get an Xbox or PS/2. Game consoles are designed for "games".

People have been duped into believing computers should be complicated and difficult to use.

Where do you get this bullish*t that macs are only good for gfx and design?

What does the movie industry use? Macs.

What do musicians use? Macs.

What do scientists use? Macs.

What does the CIA use? Macs.

What does the FBI use at their HQ? Macs.

What are the army switching over to? Macs.

Anything a PC can do, a mac can do.

Need software?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts...d=otherproducts

http://www.adobe.com

http://www.macromedia.com

http://www.4d.com/

http://guide.apple.com/ussoftware.lasso

http://guide.apple.com/uscategories/internet.lasso

*nix software:

http://www.darwinports.com/

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

http://www.metadistribution.org/macos/ <- Gentoo Portage

The movie industry doesn't nessasarily use macs, and when they do, it's not in all departments. They have a lot of SGI workstations and Linux renderfarms. It all depends on the company, however it's not as much as you would think.

Also having been to art school where they teach graphic design, animation, architechture, etc. and they set things up according to how the industry requires them to I have seen that Macs where used in publishing, and advertising. They had PC's in the CAD labs. They had SGI computers in the 3D animation labs. They have macs running OSX and then they have Macs running just OS9.

Scientists use a mix of Macs and PC's. With PC's being in the majority. I have seen this and I have relatives who are scientists.

As for the rest of those as for the rest, I'm not as sure but then again there is things such as SELinux that the NSA uses which I'm sure other organizations have access to use if they so needed.

When I say PC I don't mean PC's with Windows per say BTW, I mean PC as in, anything other than a Mac, the PC could be running some flavor of Unix or be hardware other than intel or AMD. The world isn't as black and white as Mac vs PC with Windows.

P.S. I myself am not limiting myself to knowing one system, I use Windows, Linux, and hope to get a Mac soon to use that as well.

Oh yes, one more thing is... I wonder what is in an X-box and where that has been... ;) Oh yes, I know I heard all the excuses. I really don't think it matters what a piece of hardware was originally made for as long as it does the job people put it to do now. And all computers run a whole slew of programs that they originally weren't designed for. It's called progress.

Also if the GF's college is Mac-centric there shouldn't need to be any convincing, if she is going to be doing a lot of schoolwork on the macs and she know her job is going to require them then there is no question whether she should get one or not. She should.

Edited by smoke

There are many differences between a Mac and PC but probably not many she would care about. I doubt she cares about PPC vs. x86.

But anyway, I personally believe the Mac is the best all around computer. I think it is a great system for anyone to use bothe newbies and more geeky users. Mac OS X is very simple and straightforward to use for a new user, most are amazed that you can install a program by dragging it to the Applications folder. I find that multitasking on the Mac is much better than on Windows, running lots of programs doesn't seem to slow the system down so much as it did on my XP box. The Mac also comes with iLife of course, which is great, it gives you programs to handle much of what people do with their computers these days, organize photos, play music and edit video. There are lots of other benefits but I won't go into deep details.

It really depends on what she is going to be using the machine for.

PS make sure she gets at least 512MB of RAM, and don't buy from Apple get it from Crucial you'll save some money.

Hope this helps.

@Smoke: I was not trying to suggest that those organizations use macs exclusively or even in the majority across the board. I was merely trying to point out that macs are used in a variety of situations and offered some concrete examples.

This is not a difficult question, it really comes down to:

What does she want to do with it?

Is she just surfing the net, checking email and talking on messenger? Or is she planning on editing and scoring a film? The point is expandability - especially if shes going to a college (and possibly a program?) where expandability is key.

From personal experience, my PCs have been hit and miss - but I've never had a problem with my apple.

What does the movie industry use? Macs.

What do musicians use? Macs.

What do scientists use? Macs.

What does the CIA use? Macs.

What does the FBI use at their HQ? Macs.

What are the army switching over to? Macs.

You forgot the microsoft team at E3 2004! They were using PowerBooks! :D