[NFL] Ricky Williams to retire from the NFL

No, he simply didn't want to play anymore. Detroit would have kept him.

Right, I thought that he didn't want to play for DETROIT anymore? They refused to trade him. There was always talk that he'd come back after 3 years when his contract expired.

No, he just didn't want to play. He wanted to stay in Detroit, why would he want a trade?

Becuase the Lions never really improved in the 10 years he was there. He wanted to try a different club that was serious about winning.

Uh, he said plenty of times that he never asked for a trade and didn't want to leave Detroit.

EDIT: Here's a link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sport...9/sanders29.htm

"He never once said to us, nor did we indicate to the Lions, he wanted to be traded," Ware told ESPN.

Ok. I know that is the official story, bu tI just recall hearing all the other "unofficial" talk about his leaving as well... All I know is I wasn't playing fantasy football then, so I won't claim him as a victim. :D

Barry Sanders was one of the classiest guys to ever play football, maybe sports in general. He is so quite, just goes and and does his job. SI did an unbelieveable article about him a few months back. It was incredible to see what he does now and how the Lions, still till this day, ask him if he wants to play. Because he is still under contract with them. Who else could walk away in there prime like this besides Jim Brown. And Emmit Smith's little leading rusher of all time, HAHA.

Barry was a season and a half from breaking that. He would have crushed Payton's total, showing you how great he really was. Then showing you how incredibly lucky Smith was for running behind that monster line Dallas for so many years. Emmit Smith is one of the most over rated running backs of all time. I sure as hell don't put him in my top 5, he would be lucky to get in the top 10.

Ricky was good too. I bet he comes back next year. Just wanted to avoid suspension and Miami will release him. Some other team, Tampa Bay?, will pick him up for cheap. He will have to prove he can still do it after a year off.

I CANNOT believe Ricky Williams has retired at the age of 27, I'm shocked and my favourite team the Dolphins, well our season is buggered before it's even began. We gave up 2 first round draft picks for two measly seasons, and he wasn't even that good in the second season. Well the Dolphins serious problems at running back begin again, NOOOO :angry:

Barry Sanders was one of the classiest guys to ever play football, maybe sports in general. He is so quite, just goes and and does his job. SI did an unbelieveable article about him a few months back. It was incredible to see what he does now and how the Lions, still till this day, ask him if he wants to play. Because he is still under contract with them. Who else could walk away in there prime like this besides Jim Brown. And Emmit Smith's little leading rusher of all time, HAHA.

Barry was a season and a half from breaking that. He would have crushed Payton's total, showing you how great he really was. Then showing you how incredibly lucky Smith was for running behind that monster line Dallas for so many years. Emmit Smith is one of the most over rated running backs of all time. I sure as hell don't put him in my top 5, he would be lucky to get in the top 10.

Ricky was good too. I bet he comes back next year. Just wanted to avoid suspension and Miami will release him. Some other team, Tampa Bay?, will pick him up for cheap. He will have to prove he can still do it after a year off.

I dont agree, yes, Emmitt last seasons are bad! but the first 10 are pure class and the records its totally deserved

I don't know about that... he had an amazing offensive line compared to what Sanders had. The last two or three seasons Emmitt's had are indicative of what he gets when he doesn't play with a good o-line... Sanders was much more talented, IMO. If he would have kept playing there's no doubt in my mind (and most people's) that he would have demolished the record.

I mean, just think of how awesome Sanders would have been had he had the Cowboy's O-line...

It's my fault actually.  I have  curse about killing careers with my fantasy football picks. 

Vinny Testeverde (03)

Curtis Martin (03)

Keyshawn (I made him get fired it seems) (04)

Mike Alstott (04)

Drew Bledsoe (04)

Ricky Williams (04)

I am taking request for who you'd like to see screwed up this season...  ;)

Can you put Terrell Owens on your team for this season? :ninja:

I don't care if Ricky Williams wants to retire or not. What ****es me off is that he waits until the last possible minute to screw his teammates, his team, the fans, and the league. To me, that is above and beyond selfishness. Wannstedt said he attended all those Spring meetings, made a bunch of speaches about the team and performance, then he ducks out...BY CELL PHONE, no less. He didn't even have the guts to go face to face with the management and tell them.

I can't see a team taking Ricky Williams up if he wants to come back. Clearly, then, he would be admitting he ran from the NFL because of drug testing. No team would take the risk to tie up some money in someone like that. And the NFL will target Williams like a deer in an open field. And Miami DEFINATELY would laugh at him if he wanted to return to the Dolphins.

He was, though, without a doubt, the best collegiate running back I've ever seen.

Edited by soloredd

What a fuggin let-down. What a fuggin PUNK! I had to burn his jersey. There's noway anyone in miami can wear #34 now after the slap to our face from this guy. We could've at least had a shot at another RB with a little notice. Not this flagrant foul at the last second. Blah... "F" Ricky!

Barry was a season and a half from breaking that. He would have crushed Payton's total, showing you how great he really was.

Hell yea, and he did it single-handed. The guy didn't even have an O-Line. Defense strategy against the Lions was simply.."Everyone stop Barry". That's it. Basically 11 guys on 1 every game, and the guy still managed to take his team on his shoulders and carry them as far as he could. The man in legendary, and in my opinion, The Best there ever was at it. Dolphins was close to getting him at one time, but damn the Lions for not wanting to let him out his contract.

What a fuggin let-down. What a fuggin PUNK! I had to burn his jersey. There's noway anyone in miami can wear #34 now after the slap to our face from this guy. We could've at least had a shot at another RB with a little notice. Not this flagrant foul at the last second. Blah... "F" Ricky!

Agreed, even a weeks notice would of at least given us a shot at signing Eddie George, he's screwed us big time. The Dolphins showed a lot of faith in Ricky, and this is how we get repaid? So angry.

HAHAHA, seems that Ricky's retirement might be cut short. There seems to be an issue with his contract and some "Fine Print" that may force him to come back. Not that i want him back cause he can rot for all i care, and im sure i speak for many of his x-teammates in miami. i just thought it was hella funny. Saw this on evening news, im waiting for details.

hahaha, F U Ricky, Take THAT!

Added: Haha, so this is whats going down... The Dolphins will be giving Ricky a deadline to return to the Fins else they can choose to take an option stated in the contract that would hurt Ricky's pockets for 4.7 million dollars. HAHAHA !! Ricky hauled ass from Tokio last night and met up with his agent. Apparently, this is not over yet.

Edited by un0

haha, ricky sucks man. i've never been impressed by him. and you can't compare him to sanders at all, thats a disgrace.

:sleep:

Bottom line...Barry is a quitter. He left his team in the lurch, just like Williams, who basically is running away from drug problems.

Barry and Emmitt are two completely different runners. Barry wouldn't know what to do with a good line, as he would be dancing too much to make good use of it. Why do you think they consistently pulled him out in goal line situations? He danced.

Barry's by far in the top five, no question...but he's too selfish to be the best. He's a quitter. And before I get called a fanboy...Emmitt isn't #1 in my book.

I don't know about that... he had an amazing offensive line compared to what Sanders had. The last two or three seasons Emmitt's had are indicative of what he gets when he doesn't play with a good o-line... Sanders was much more talented, IMO. If he would have kept playing there's no doubt in my mind (and most people's) that he would have demolished the record.

I mean, just think of how awesome Sanders would have been had he had the Cowboy's O-line...

you are talking like the line did all the work, its a matter of fact that its harder to use the line than the open field, Emmitt knew how to do that, also, its not fair to compare the last 3 seasons since Emmitt injuries have been so big

' date='Jul 27 2004, 17:55'] you are talking like the line did all the work, its a matter of fact that its harder to use the line than the open field, Emmitt knew how to do that, also, its not fair to compare the last 3 seasons since Emmitt injuries have been so big

That and he was what....33?....he still gained over 1000 yards even with crappy o-lines...in fact his last year with the Cowboys he gained 975 yards...in the twilight of his career and with arguably the worst o-line in football that year.

That and he was what....33?....he still gained over 1000 yards even with crappy o-lines...in fact his last year with the Cowboys he gained 975 yards...in the twilight of his career and with arguably the worst o-line in football that year.

I think that people like to see big, impressive moves, thats why the Sanders preference, now all, dont take me wrong since Sanders its on my top 3 fav players ever, but believe me, it is harder to attack the line, even harder using spins, Emmitt was a master of spins.

,Jul 27 2004, 19:02] I think that people like to see big, impressive moves, thats why the Sanders preference, now all, dont take me wrong since Sanders its on my top 3 fav players ever, but believe me, it is harder to attack the line, even harder using spins, Emmitt was a master of spins.

I don't think that at all.. he had no line which made him the preference.. and how is it harder to play with a line?

Check Olandis Gary from Denver to Detroit.. great line to a crap line.. doesn't look like his stats improved. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BOOGSoftball?' date='Jul 27 2004, 22:51:sleep:p:

Bottom line...Barry is a quitter. He left his team in the lurch, just like Williams, who basically is running away from drug problems.

Barry and Emmitt are two completely different runners. Barry wouldn't know what to do with a good line, as he would be dancing too much to make good use of it. Why do you think they consistently pulled him out in goal line situations? He danced.

Barry's by far in the top five, no question...but he's too selfish to be the best. He's a quitter. And before I get called a fanboy...Emmitt isn't #1 in my book.

Whoa, what the heck?

Yoabsolutely cannot compare the two!b>

They aren't even in the same class!

Barry retired at the prime of his career, yes... but look at how much longer it was that William's! How the heck is that running away from the problem? Running Backs take tonb> of wear and tear, and Sanders played for quite a while for a running back (although it wasn't anything amazing).

Do you mean to tell me that Sanders should have just stayed, and been a fading star that everyone whines and moans about them 'staying too long'? You cannot compare how Barry left with how Ricky left. That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. They're RBs and they both left... that's where the comparisons end. Barry left his tealetting them know!b> Williams did not. Barry let management know that he was contemplating leaving.

Barry is too selfish? Please explain that one to me... I'd love to know that, to be honest. He is not a quitter, he's a guy that just had enough. What the hell is quitting to you? He didn't quit, he retired and gave his team fair warning -- you simply can't compare the two AT ALL! Not to mention that he played on crappy teams pretty much his whole career! Williams did not.

Look at Sanders career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1102

He played twice as long as Williams! HOW THE HECK CAN YOU COMPARE THAT? 10 seasons isn't exactly a breeze, Boog! Thonlyb> reason you're labeling him a quitter is because he left during his prime. If he had left sucking you wouldn't give a rat's rear end. 10 seasons is a LONG time, especially in football.

[sanctified] -- no, I'm not talking about the line doing all the work. And it's hard to read the line? Uhhh, not really... most running backs will tell you a solid line is what gets it done. In fact, asanyoneb> who's ever been a running back if the OL is important. 100% of the time they will tell you yes. If you have a football coach that you know (high school, middle school, college -- or whatever the equivalent is over there), ask him or her and find the answer. Even in Dallas people will admit to you that Sanders was at least as good as, if not better, than Smith since he worked with such a crappy line/team. People seem to like the big, impressive moves? Uh, if it gets them more yards then they like it... people like whoever gets the most yards. That'd be Sanders.

BOOG -- wow, he gained 975 yards? Barry never had that few of yards in a season, even when he was battling injuries. You make it seem like Smith is the only one who ever had to battle with injuries -- he's not.

smith was boring, that much i know. i think sanders takes smith any day of the week. payton will always be my man though.

Whoa, what the heck?

You absolutely cannot compare the two!

They aren't even in the same class!

Barry retired at the prime of his career, yes... but look at how much longer it was that William's! How the heck is that running away from the problem? Running Backs take a ton of wear and tear, and Sanders played for quite a while for a running back (although it wasn't anything amazing).

Do you mean to tell me that Sanders should have just stayed, and been a fading star that everyone whines and moans about them 'staying too long'? You cannot compare how Barry left with how Ricky left. That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. They're RBs and they both left... that's where the comparisons end. Barry left his team letting them know! Williams did not. Barry let management know that he was contemplating leaving.

Barry is too selfish? Please explain that one to me... I'd love to know that, to be honest. He is not a quitter, he's a guy that just had enough. What the hell is quitting to you? He didn't quit, he retired and gave his team fair warning -- you simply can't compare the two AT ALL! Not to mention that he played on crappy teams pretty much his whole career! Williams did not.

Look at Sanders career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1102

He played twice as long as Williams! HOW THE HECK CAN YOU COMPARE THAT? 10 seasons isn't exactly a breeze, Boog! The only reason you're labeling him a quitter is because he left during his prime. If he had left sucking you wouldn't give a rat's rear end. 10 seasons is a LONG time, especially in football.

[sanctified] -- no, I'm not talking about the line doing all the work. And it's hard to read the line? Uhhh, not really... most running backs will tell you a solid line is what gets it done. In fact, ask anyone who's ever been a running back if the OL is important. 100% of the time they will tell you yes. If you have a football coach that you know (high school, middle school, college -- or whatever the equivalent is over there), ask him or her and find the answer. Even in Dallas people will admit to you that Sanders was at least as good as, if not better, than Smith since he worked with such a crappy line/team. People seem to like the big, impressive moves? Uh, if it gets them more yards then they like it... people like whoever gets the most yards. That'd be Sanders.

BOOG -- wow, he gained 975 yards? Barry never had that few of yards in a season, even when he was battling injuries. You make it seem like Smith is the only one who ever had to battle with injuries -- he's not.

Take it easy, man..the only way I am comparing the two is how they left...that's it. Barry quit on his team. He did not inform them on his departure at all. If that were the case why did they have to scramble for a RB? Barry quit after the draft, after the Lions could have remedied the situation.

Please also note...I never said Emmitt gained 975 yards while injured. In actuality, he was splitting snaps between him and Troy Hambrick...the so called heir apparent.

I'm not saying Sanders should have stayed. I never insinuated that. I said he left the Lions up a creek. If he really wanted to help the team, he would have accepted a trade...even after his quitting.

A few quotes:

To some fans, Ross may come off like Gomer Pyle, but make no mistake; he's deceptively sharp. There's a common thread that has run through Ross' entire coaching career - he has continually demonstrated the ability to turn around situations - at Maryland and Georgia Tech (co-national champion) in college ball, and with the San Diego Chargers, and now, the Detroit Lions, in the NFL. ....... Last year he had to endure Barry Sanders quitting on the team on the eve of training camp (leaving Ross with little opportunity to make alternate plans), then the subsequent talk from some fans and media members that if he were fired, it might be enough to bring Sanders back. Throw in a few key injuries, especially in the secondary, and it indeed seems remarkable that the Lions made it into the playoffs at all.
DETROIT ? Barry Sanders, one of football's smoothest backs, admits the way he left the Detroit Lions was awkward.

During his first news conference since hishocking retirement on the eve of training camp in 1999b>, Sanders said Tuesday, "The way it was done may have been a little clumsy."

Barry Sanders could have run away with one of football's most cherished records. Instead he walked away from the game and a 10-year NFL careewith almost no notice and few explanations.b>

This hardly sounds like he 'gave them fair warning' at all. He left them in the lurch. It doesn't take away from him as a player....just as a person.

He told the coach that he was contemplating it, from what I read in the Detroit Free Press at the time... I'll search for it tomorrow.

I hardly think that you can say Barry Sanders lacks as a person. If you've ever seen the interviews or talked to him then I'm certain you'd never say that -- one of the nicest individuals ever. Why on Earth do you think the management still wanted him to come back, or take a different role with the team? It's hardly sour grapes for either side. He also gave much more time than Williams gave Miami in warning, even if he didn't warn them (which I'm certain that I read... as I said, I'll look for it tomorrow).

Barry didn't want to accept any trade -- he was all Detroit. I know I wouldn't want to leave my team to finish my career somewhere else, personally. I mean, would you rather spend your entire career with only one team, or two teams with the second just to help out your team? You certainly wouldn't feel loyalty to your former team after that, especially since you'd be playing against them.

Even when you compare how they left, it's apples and oranges. Sanders played twice as long as Williams. Sanders was constant throughout his whole career, and wasn't known for fumbling as Williams was. Sanders "quit" (as you would say... I say "retired") during the middle/beginning of the off-season, not right before the season started. Sanders had respect for his team and never wanted to leave them, and he stayed in contact with the coach, the players, and the management. I understand he gives some scouting information at times, too. Tell me how Williams is going to do that for Miami if this is really his retirement.

Barry Sanders has formally offered to repay his signing bonus if the Detroit Lions will release or trade him this season, according to his agent. The Lions have refused.

David Ware, one of Sanders' representatives, said that he renewed the request on Monday. Sanders announced his retirement in July.

Asked if this is a signal that Sanders still wants to play in the NFL, Ware said Tuesday, "I think he's ready to consider it, in the right situation. But the right situation is not the Detroit Lions. His career is finished there."

Sanders "definitely would return," if the Lions would accommodate him, a source close to the running back said.

"We're trying to get him back on the football field, where he belongs," Ware said.

But his father, William Sanders, told the Associated Press that his son hasn't indicated whether he'll come back to football.

"I was hoping he'd never quit," he said. "I don't know what he's going to do. ... I keep my fingers crossed."

The Lions filed a formal grievance last week to recover a $5.4 million share of the $11 million signing bonus they gave Sanders two years ago on a new five-year contract.

Sanders did not collect a $1.7 million deferred payment due this fall on the original bonus. The club contends it has contract language that specifically requires Sanders to repay a prorated portion of his bonus for any of the years he does not play.

"We think this thing could go either way with an arbitrator," Ware said. "The fact that the Lions have pursued this course has burned any bridge, any possibility, that he would return to the club. But Barry will write the check right now if they'll let him go or trade him."

Ware said Sanders' request has been made to three Lions officials, including club owner William Clay Ford.

"They've told us that if Barry ever plays again, he'll play for the Lions or nobody," Ware said. "That's not going to happen, so we're offering a pretty good deal: More than $5 million, plus they can get compensation for him."

Sanders was unavailable, but Ware said, "Barry has signed off on this."

The Lions would not confirm whether Ware had contacted them on this matter.

"Our positions remains the same -- that we honored his retirement wishes and we expected the repayment of the prorated portion," Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said Tuesday.

Chuck Schmidt, the Lions' chief operating officer, told the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News that the Lions will not trade Sanders.

"When Barry signed that contract, everybody agreed he would retire a Detroit Lion," Schmidt said.

William Sanders told AP he doesn't blame the Lions for taking the stand they have.

"I wouldn't release him either if I had a Barry Sanders on a contract," he said.