[NFL] Ricky Williams to retire from the NFL

FYI: I already posted a link disproving that. Go back and read it :) It's from Sanders himself.

Well, no one knows for sure. My previous posts (fom Sanders himself) called his quitting 'clumsy'. I don't know how it could have been 'clumsy' had he left on the terms you have pointed out.

At least Brown, who was filming The Dirty Dozen when he quit, had postfootball plans. Best anyone can tell, Sanders, vacationing overseas, has none. At least he didn't reveal any in the respectful, 17-sentence statement that he chose to release on July 27 to his hometown paper, The Wichita (Kans.) Eagle. (The Lions first read the statement on The Eagle's Web site.) "The reason I am retiring is simple," the statement read. "My desire to exit the game is greater than my desire to stay in it." He was cryptic about his future even with his agents. When one of them, David Ware, asked Sanders whether he'd reconsider his decision if a trade could be arranged, he says Sanders told him, "That situation doesn't exist."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/...lashbacks/lamb/

"He never once said to us, nor did we indicate to the Lions, he wanted to be traded," Ware told ESPN.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sport...9/sanders29.htm

"There comes a time when it's not fun," Sanders said. "I didn't demand a trade from the Lions. I just got tired of it."

http://www.detnews.com/2000/lions/0006/05/e02-59529.htm

People are just mad that Barry left -- they didn't want him to. It's nothing like how Williams is leaving. He's leaving after half the career (season-wise) that Barry had. And if it doesn't take away from him as a player, then how come you kept saying that Barry wasn't as good as Emitt and that Emitt was better with crappy offensive lines than Barry was, etc.

And if you think it takes away from him as a person, then I have to question your integrity. Someone who played the game for 10 seasons isn't allowed to decide if he wants to retire or not? That's just asinine. It's not as if Williams played anywhere near the amount of time that Sanders did -- he only played 5 seasons!

Let's be honest here: If Sanders were some crappy player and did that you wouldn't care. If Sanders had an injury you wouldn't care. If Sanders had asked for a trade (one of the most selfish things a player can do, if you ask me), you wouldn't care. Now, maybe it's just me, but if you would rather have him demand a trade than retire before the season then you've got some weird opinions about integrity and selfishness.

I'm not sure how on Earth you can say it takes away from Sanders, one of the nicest players to ever play the game. Perhaps you're just tainted by your love for Emitt Smith since you're a Cowboys fan (and he's not that nice of a guy... trust me), but that doesn't take away from the fact that Barry was one of the nicest guys to ever play any professional sport. You've never even met the man, but you label him a quitter... how pathetic. Sanders quit nothing -- he retired.

People are just mad that Barry left -- they didn't want him to. It's nothing like how Williams is leaving. He's leaving after half the career (season-wise) that Barry had. And if it doesn't take away from him as a player, then how come you kept saying that Barry wasn't as good as Emitt and that Emitt was better with crappy offensive lines than Barry was, etc.

And if you think it takes away from him as a person, then I have to question your integrity. Someone who played the game for 10 seasons isn't allowed to decide if he wants to retire or not? That's just asinine. It's not as if Williams played anywhere near the amount of time that Sanders did -- he only played 5 seasons!

Let's be honest here: If Sanders were some crappy player and did that you wouldn't care. If Sanders had an injury you wouldn't care. If Sanders had asked for a trade (one of the most selfish things a player can do, if you ask me), you wouldn't care. Now, maybe it's just me, but if you would rather have him demand a trade than retire before the season then you've got some weird opinions about integrity and selfishness.

I'm not sure how on Earth you can say it takes away from Sanders, one of the nicest players to ever play the game. Perhaps you're just tainted by your love for Emitt Smith since you're a Cowboys fan (and he's not that nice of a guy... trust me), but that doesn't take away from the fact that Barry was one of the nicest guys to ever play any professional sport. You've never even met the man, but you label him a quitter... how pathetic. Sanders quit nothing -- he retired.

Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. He left the team without any indication to them. You never refuted that.

Ware contradicts himself numerous times about Barry's reasons for leaving. Seems even he didn't know why.