Microsoft Vs iPod

Can microsoft leave anything alone?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Can microsoft leave anything alone?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • What the hell of course

I read in the Guardian newspaper this morning that Microsoft are going to release a new mp3 player which will take the Applie iPod market by storm.

Personally i dont thnk this could happen as the iPod is well.. the best around but i s'pose we will have to wait and see :unsure:

Opinions on this.. can microsoft achually leave n e thin alone that is good and new technology?

dave164

What is up with microsoft......trying to take on google in search engines, tryin to take on Apple with mp3 players......jeez is there anything left for them to try and copy?

If it:

1) has a longer battery life

2) plays MP3, AAC and OGG besides WMA

3) plays video

4) is cheaper then the iPod

then I don't see why it wouldn't eat the iPod raw.

What is up with microsoft......trying to take on google in search engines, tryin to take on Apple with mp3 players......jeez is there anything left for them to try and copy?

It's called healthy competition... in the end we all benefit from it. So I don't see why you should complain.

well if your a top company right. and u see another company that is making huge amounts of money on something that you think could rival and that meant you got money out of it to . wouldnt you do it

well probably but Microsoft do it with everything!!!!!!!!! They get enough from programs, os's and apps, surely they can leave something

well probably but Microsoft do it with everything!!!!!!!!! They get enough from programs, os's and apps, surely they can leave something

dave, it is called motivation. if they see something they want, they will try their best to get it. this is good because like Schmoove said, "It's called healthy competition... in the end we all benefit from it."

there is nothing wrong with microsoft wanting a piece of the digital player market (or the online music market). in fact, i think that with their media format along with their DRM, they have a very attractive base from which to start and continue.

the only reason that I can think of for the iPod being percieved as the best one out there is because of a "cool-ness" factor (nothing more, nothing less).

please understand that just because microsoft has what it has, doesnt mean that they cant get more. hell, look at General Electric, they have their hands in almost everything.

STV

dave, it is called motivation. if they see something they want, they will try their best to get it. this is good because like Schmoove said, "It's called healthy competition... in the end we all benefit from it."

there is nothing wrong with microsoft wanting a piece of the digital player market (or the online music market). in fact, i think that with their media format along with their DRM, they have a very attractive base from which to start and continue.

the only reason that I can think of for the iPod being percieved as the best one out there is because of a "cool-ness" factor (nothing more, nothing less).

please understand that just because microsoft has what it has, doesnt mean that they cant get more. hell, look at General Electric, they have their hands in almost everything.

STV

Amen! :yes:

I would love to se an MP3 player by Microsoft, because usually when Microsoft makes some type of hardware it's really good. For example their mice or keyboards. They are great and i have them to prove it. ;)

Performance is not everything. MS has to make something that's functional, easy to use, and appealing to the eye. The iPod has succeeded because of this while most other competitors have fallen short. We, as techies, may want everything (ie:OGG, better EQ, battery life for over half a day) but most other consumers don't care, or care as much as we do.

i look forward to more compitition form a company with big financial backing.

question: can any1 hook me up with soem info on microsofts future possible offerings? i will be buying something for my birthday on septembet 11th so if i can find something to hold out for then i would.

Hell ya. MS releases a iPod-like device, your iPod price drops.

I don't see how Microsoft, a computer OS/hardware company, introducing an MP3 player is any different from Apple, a computer OS/hardware company, making the iPod. :blink:

It's all part of the digital experience/revolution.

If it:

1) has a longer battery life

2) plays MP3, AAC and OGG besides WMA

3) plays video

4) is cheaper then the iPod

then I don't see why it wouldn't eat the iPod raw.

It's called healthy competition... in the end we all benefit from it. So I don't see why you should complain.

i don't think any mp3 players with these funtionality is gonna hurt the ipod in anyway, cuz there are already mp3 that has longer battery life, supports other music format, plays video etc....., but i don't see ipod's market share getting hurt substantially....,

i think that the only way to beat apple's ipod is to create a sexier, and easier to use mp3 player, that not only functions as mp3 player, but is something that when people see it, will go wow., much like an ornament when you carry it around...., the ipod has become a fashion device rather than just an mp3 player. i think that's what made the ipod succeed

i look forward to more compitition form a company with big financial backing.

question: can any1 hook me up with soem info on microsofts future possible offerings? i will be buying something for my birthday on septembet 11th so if i can find something to hold out for then i would.

How about MS Portable Media Center on a Creative Zen

i dont see why you guys doubt MS.

look @ xbox,...they came up with something strong that has great graphics..and also suited for the future (online gaming)

if MS wants to, i think they can kick apples ass...think about how compatible MS' mp3 player is gonna be with windows? i cant wait. i think they have a good chance.

besdies...ipod is not the best around...i personally would love to get a 20 gig iAudio...the LP version has more than 20 hours of battery life..and its smaller and thinner than ipod...ipod is really mainstream. never the less..it is sexy (not the 4gen:( me don like)

i don't think any mp3 players with these funtionality is gonna hurt the ipod in anyway, cuz there are already mp3 that has longer battery life, supports other music format, plays video etc....., but i don't see ipod's market share getting hurt substantially....,

i think that the only way to beat apple's ipod is to create a sexier, and easier to use mp3 player, that not only functions as mp3 player, but is something that when people see it, will go wow., much like an ornament when you carry it around...., the ipod has become a fashion device rather than just an mp3 player. i think that's what made the ipod succeed

Agreed.

So far everything that MS made looked good and was easy to use so i'll be looking forward to checking out the new MP3 player!!

Works like this, if Microsoft and all the all other hardware manufacturers (that will use the os made by Microsoft) make a really good product at a cheap price, that will make Apple strive to make the iPod cheaper and better. It's been said in this thread before, competition is good.

i dont know why most of you think this is bad....i mean if MS release a similar product at a lower price then apple will have to lower theirs too

welcome to america free enterprise

MS has deeper pockets. they will win this battle... again

Still hasn't beat Sony in the console market.