question about xp bootup

macachia

every time i turn on winXP, i get the small hard drive icon on the taskbar saying to me that drive d:/ is full and needs cleanup

now drive d:/ is a western digital 2gb drive which has 5mb free..it has 3 hours of avi file captured from my sony digital camera.

how can i tell winXP to not check the space remaining at bootup? i hate doing a disc cleanup every time i start, even though i can't delete anything from it!

help!

aco

Try opening "services.msc" in the run box.

If you are feeling confident try to disable a few things related to the hard disk.

I looked through and the closest service I could find was Logical Disk Manager. I cannot be sure though because I am not low on disk space, you might have some different services on your list.

Good luck :)

Jon

Hm I know I've seen this configurable somewhere.

Looking now.

Are you using FAT or NTFS?

Everying points to disk quotas, but they are NTFS only, and off by default.

Another thing to check, which i'm 99.999% sure it wont be..

you've not turned on profile limits for roaming user profiles have you? (didnt think so!)

I'll keep looking...

Jon

d0tn3t

Have you tried disabling Disk Cleanup? :ermm:

aco
Originally posted by WindowsXP

Have you tried disabling Disk Cleanup? :ermm:

How is that done?

Steven P.

Right click on Recycle Bin and choose properties.. in the tabs you can select the size of the free space that Windows checks :) if you move the slider to 1mb, it will only warn you when you have just 1mb left!

this will help, Im sure

Jon

Hmmmmmmmmm

I cant see that option. R.Bins properties shows 3 tabs,

Global, and one for each parition.

Each has a slider, but that relates to the percentage of the HDD size set as max size for the bin.

I'm running NTFS on a domain, using the MS RTM, not a dodgy downloaded version.

Where is it! spent ages looking!

Jon

Steven P.

dude, just slide it to 0% on the first tab (sorry if I said MB I meant percent) If at 0% it will not check the size of the free space anymore!

mortensen

I hate the reminders that come up when making a CD [from MP3's] and Media Player likes to use my C: [2gig total] drive to put the converted wav files... lol. Not that it bothers me much.

Darn, I've only got 3.6gig free on D:! I'll have to get burning and deleting stuff!